DVD & Web Video:The Soft Draw Pattern 1.0 -w/Reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Question: If I modify the grip a little bit can I use the same pattern and hit straight shots and fades. Meaning in SD1 you suggest about a 10 degree closed clubface. If I squared it up would the shots fly staright and if I weakend it 10 degrees and aimed 1 yard left would I hit a fade, all using the same pattern?

Thanks

You'd have to modify the grip and the plane

Watched soft draw last night...great video Brian. After seeing Brian for a lesson, I have other issues to work on first (my pivot sucks and I have club face issues).

A few things...

Brian mentions soft shoulders and arms...should your arms feel like noodles or is that too soft?

How bout grip pressure for SD and grip pressure for other types of swings?

Soft draw would seem to work for folks that bring the club too far inside (no popout) anyway...they'll obviously need to make some adjustments.

Noodle arms! I would say yes, monkey.

It's neat to see people diagnosing themselves BTW............."pivot stinks and clubface issues".....

BTW I like monkeys.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Ahh....yup.

Question: If I modify the grip a little bit can I use the same pattern and hit straight shots and fades. Meaning in SD1 you suggest about a 10 degree closed clubface. If I squared it up would the shots fly staright and if I weakend it 10 degrees and aimed 1 yard left would I hit a fade, all using the same pattern?

Yes.

Ever hear of dude name Jack Nick-LOSS? ;)

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Soft Fade 1.0 and others...

I have a couple of Soft Fade patterns. The jury is still out.

The order of release for soon in the future videos is:

Never Hook Again 2.0

Manzella Short Game Matrix

Manzella Putting Matrix​

I have a pattern code named "Professional Draw" that I am working on, and of course, that and my continuing research on Soft Fade will greatly influence the "Do It Right" central pattern.

Also, a totally revamped "Building Blocks 1.0" is in the works.

another Soft Draw endorsement

This is not an overnight success story. I started with this website about ten months ago as i was thinking about quitting golf. I was a 8-10 handicapper with a handicap going the wrong way after swallowing some of what Brian would call the latest "junk."

I went for my first lesson early last fall and Brian told me I was the poster boy for needing the soft draw pattern, and he worked with me on pop-out and takeaway in the first lesson. My second lesson was on a Brian stop-off on the way home for winter, and he worked with me on improving my pivot, primarily, and making it more athletic and connected to the ground.

Since October I've spent hundreds and hundreds of hours reading the yellow book, reading everything here, watching Ben Doyle's video and watching all Brian's videos multiple times and trying everything on the range. There's a big difference between randomly trying things or having a vocabulary for the things you try and a reason for working on it.

I was always a range fanatic who tried everything and if the stars aligned, I could shoot a 76, likely followed by an 86. A pull-hooker who couldn't find the inside dimple of the ball with a flashlight. With some flip left in as well. I was a hitter who really over-accelerated. I could at least hit the ball a decent distance.

In the last 3-4 months I've really started to improve. After reading Brian's suggestion, I learned how to hit an Ernest Jones swinging pitch from reading his book and watching a guy who hits on my range who plays mini-tours hit about a 1000 of those shots. I tried to learn a Building Blocks swing pattern. I then went to see Brian again 7-8 weeks ago and actually hit a bunch of pretty decent drivers during the lesson and really felt like my swing was getting better even if my scores weren't. Brian worked with me on the toss and soft wrists.

Then the Soft Draw video came out and I started studying and practicing the details. Improvement has been in peaks and valleys, with a couple rounds where I though I might even break 70 and then some of the same old stuff.

In the past two weeks, things have really improved significantly again as I started working on feeling like my hands and club were left behind in the downswing and my "toss" didn't happen until after impact. The breakthrough for me was watching some video of hogan and nicklaus a couple weeks ago. It wasn't anything I hadn't seen before but my eyes saw the video differently than I ever had before - I didn't see hands moving fast (the way I've always swung), I saw hips and shoulders moving and arms/hands just following. I got an idea of how to do that that I never got from watching video before, I guess because I didn't know what I was looking for or how to analyze what i was seeing before.

In the past two weeks I've really got the feeling my trunk turn/right shoulder hits the ball and the hands toss after impact after throwing the drunk off my back (sorry for all the jargon). I almost feel like the hands have been taken out of the downswing equation until after impact (I know that's not how Brian describes the "toss" - that's just what I feel now). I am now hitting high, long (for me) push draws that barely bend. My distance has really improved. My control is enormously better.

I've read that people here sometimes don't understand the fascination with hitting a nice draw. I think they must be mostly really good golfers because for someone who has an entire golfing life hitting pulls and pull hooks and managing that crap around a course, hitting a draw that doesn't start left and go "lefter" and has the extra zip and control that comes with that shot when well-struck and has an extra 15-20 yards, it feels like you invented the wheel or post-it notes, or something. The way I am hitting now is qualitatively and significantly different than before.

I am sure there are lots more valleys to come, but finally organizing my golf knowledge with the TGM and Brian's help (and many people here as well), finally identifying my real issues (unlike the issues other golf teachers identified), and then working towards a pattern that actually WORKS when you practice it is really a great feeling. Of course, learning whether you need the Soft Draw or another approach is obviously the first step.

I also feel like the teacher who charged me $700 for a series of lessons to increase my pop-out and swing more left in order to match up with a pga pro swing he had on his computer ought to have to send that money to Brian to offset the modest price of that video.

Last edited:

djm

New
Nice post. Do you mind explaining how you arrived at the feeling that your "trunk turn/right shoulder hits the ball and the hands toss after impact after throwing the drunk off my back "? Are you doing something to keep you hands/arms passive until you complete the pivot?

Are you doing something to keep you hands/arms passive until you complete the pivot?

Yes, that is the feel. But I was someone swinging from the top with the hands and sometimes really over using my hands from the top, so I feel like I have to maybe over correct - I am not sure if that would work for everyone, and I suspect some people may need a more active feel. When I had my last lesson with Brian I hadn't seen the SD video yet, and he was showing me kind of turning over my right hand down the line starting at the ball or just after it, which was my version of the "toss" for my SD pattern.

djm

New
Thanks for the response. I have a swing from the top with my hands problem. I know I'm doing it, but I cannot seem to stop myself.

Superb Soft draw instruction!...

Just viewed Soft draw andfor first time in 7 years of
Golf I feel I understand the swing!

Really like the simplicity of it and dynamics...

Another great one Brian....

How exactly is the "back and forth" drill done?

thanks!

Jimma

I know there are alot of variations but on balance what kind of ball flight should the Soft Draw Pattern produce? High,Low etc.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
A normal type trajectory with a "soft draw" that visually looks like a couple yards in the air when in reality it's more like 5-6. It may end up being lower than your typical trajectory if you play a fade or have been adding loft to your irons through imapct

This pattern looks like a winner...

I'm getting the sneaky feeling reading about this "soft draw" that it is very-much the hogan fade in reverse. A shot that does not so much hook, as it does resist slicing. Travels out straight, then makes a gentle draw tumble for a little extra distance.

Those who saw Hogan's fade shot in person said it was as though the ball rode a straight wall, then just barely faded at the end. It didn't really fade, it just resisted hooking. As a result, it was extremely accurate.

If Brian has figured a way to do this (and teach it) with a draw curve... dang that's gonna be a nice shot for the amateur player. Hogan accuracy with a little extra distance, and a resistance to slicing.

Seriously thinking about giving this video and the pattern a go. That's exactly the kind of shot I am trying to make for my longer clubs (3 iron through driver).

Friends video?

Hogan 1953,

Thanks for pulling up this quote to help me clear up the "Friends" Video.

This video will have ALL of the above information, in one video. It will be sort of a clinic covering all of the above. The Retail Soft Draw 1.0 is a completely different video, done in the usual fashion. The "Friends" Video will include the explanation of the Soft Draw pattern, as well as the history behind how it developed.

I sent out a web download to the "Friends" on the Manzella Matrix Short game. A similar coverage of the same material will be on the final "Friends" Video. I sent it out as a preview.

The "Friends" Video will go out to all of those people who were so kind to help me and Lisa out with the house problems. We are very grateful for their generosity, and I wanted to give something back.

This Video will not be available to the "general public." It will not be released. It is just a video of a "private" virtual clinic covering the MANZELLA MATRIX Short Game, Putting, the "Soft Draw" pattern, and the basis for the Manzella Matrix system, as well as some information on research I have done and some I am doing.

Hope this clear this up.

BM

When do you anticipate this will be ready?

Guitar Hero

A++++++++++ Video.

This video is a 10!

For the web version at $9.99 it is a steal. There is information on here you that would cost you big bucks if it was not for Brian to offer it for that price and there are only a few instructors who know it and would teach it. I would recommend you buy all the videos Brian makes to learn about different patterns and for the low cost of the web version you should spend the extra for the DVD's.

Job Well Done!!

John W Rohan-Weaver

S.D. question

I just purchased and watched the SD video. Great stuff in there Brian.
I have one question about the "early pivot" step on the right foot move. Does this move promote a deeper position in the backswing? If so, would this deeper position be more of an orthodox move for the middle of the matrix type of swing?

Status
Not open for further replies.