DVD & Web Video:The Soft Draw Pattern 1.0 -w/Reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alignment Keys

Really enjoy the Soft Draw video! I think this is my basic action, but it was good to hear "why" it works. Have always been a fan of Ernest Jones (glad others see the wisdom in his overall message). I think I'll be even better allowing myself to cross the line a bit more at the top!

My problem is aligning "too far" right (left eye dominant). I know the aiming "one yard right" idea is to get people not to aim left. What would be some Manzella keys for how to aim/align to the target for all shots? I've always tried to set the clubface first and then set my body to that based on the type of shot (usually about parallel for a straight shot).

For a straight ball, if I aim my feet at the target and aim my clubface parallel, isn't my clubface always "right" of the target, or is it really just pointed in the same direction (i.e., difference of a couple of feet)?

Thoughts on the use of an intermediate target (leaf, divot, etc.)? For path alignment or actual clubface? Can't seem to shake watching Nicklaus setup to a shot. Worked pretty good for him. Thanks.

Great video. I have watched it twice this week and look forward to some range work tomorrow. One of the things I like about it is, it validates many of the natural swing keys, thoughts, mental images, etc., that were "natural" to me as a "feel" player. I always played by sensing the clubhead -- it's weight, flow, rhythm and location in the swing. My handicap got down to a 5.1.

Then, in the name of improvement, I embarked on a three-year journey into positions, body/rotary stuff, angles, shaft leans, yada, yada, yada, that took my index to a 10. As a tallish golfer with relative long arms, that just didn't work naturally for me.

Finally, I went back to MOST of my relaxed "feel" concepts this past summer and got back down to a 7 index. (Work also interfered in a major way!)

This video has given me the confidence to go back to my original thoughts and to focus on feel and the rhythm of swinging the clubhead. I look forward to melding Brian's suggestions and instruction into my personal perception of the golf swing that works best for me.

I can't wait to get back to playing golf instead of positions! Thanks Brian!

puttmaster

TLS

New
Brian, many thanks for producing a quality video with instruction that has enabled this (over 50) (rh) golfer to finally produce a right to left ball flight.

I play nearly 300 rounds per year. Excess play = no intense practice. Typical flight pattern (was) a weak fade. Handicap 7-12 over the years. Tried tips from friends, professionals, internet forums, even NSA, to no avail.

Watched the Soft Draw video. Next day flew to Florida. Went to the range. Hit @ 75 balls. All (SD) right to left ball flight! Next day, watched the video again. Came in 2nd in couples event, 9 under par. Watched video again. Played well enough to tie for 2nd in Men's individual gross/net today. Prize money covered the cost of the DVD.

Under pressure, the misses are short, but straight. Today I hit a hard draw out of bounds. Did not care. Ball flight was (SD) right to left. Shots from under 100 yards are more consistent. Now if I could putt these new greens!

Brian, thanks again. You're a genius. Also, many thanks to the primary contributors to this site. I enjoy reading your commentaries.

TLS

Hi and a big thank you for the video!
I applied the principles yesterday at the indoor range (it's winter here in finland) and my ballstriking has never been better. The correct plane, the toss and the followthrough position were things I'd been wondering about, but never got a clear answer before SD 1.0. This video is brilliant!

Got softdraw yesterday. Shot 74 today.
Bogeyed last 2 holes. I was trying to break par for the first time.
Bye Bye blocks. Hello high draws and good wedges.

Thank you, Brian.

I worked on this pattern today at the range and was getting great results. I can't remember ever hitting my 5 iron with so many draws, it was great, big smile on my face. Looking forward to playing a round tomorrow and see how it goes with this pattern.

I also have NHA 2.0 but felt that I tend to want to come to much inside on the downswing and causes me to push and slice the ball. I wanted to check this pattern out because I tend to pull and hook my driver at times. With the soft draw I didn't hook any balls, either straight or nice draws.

Thanks Brian for all the great videos that you keep putting out. I also have NSA, which helped me tremedously to get rid of my slice. I had to move away from this pattern as I started hooking the ball because trying to turn my wrist so much. I worked more on the finish with wedding ring up and that was what helped the most.

Which pattern?

I have Brian's Building Blocks, NSA, Soft Draw and several other of his DVDs. My question is the soft draw doable for a male that will be 70 this October and in pretty good shape? Twisting enough to get across the line at top of swing is tough but with practice think I could manage. Is there a better pattern for someone that will never be as flexable as a 30 year old? There are a lot of players in my age group that could use a pattern that we could use to play golf and enjoy it.
Thanks
Paul

I see no problem what so ever about not getting across the line at the top. I believe the key is not to get laid off with this pattern.

The weight shift left will assist coming from the inside a bit and I think that's the more important key with this swing.

On shorter swings you will not get across the line.

Look at Daly taking a less than full swing and--if the swing is short enough--he will not be "across the line."

On a full swing (for him) he no doubt is.

Same deal with Geoff Ogilvy, Nicklaus, Snead, Goosen, Phil, or a number of other players.

"Laid off" or "ATL" is most often and most easily judged when the club is parallel to the ground, at the top.

Good topic.

Last edited:
I see no problem what so ever about not getting
The weight shift left will assist coming from the inside a bit and I think that's the more important key with this swing.

I have to agree. I got the video a few days ago and tried to implement the ideas into the swing for the first time today. The idea of "falling to the left" works miracles for my ballstriking. No more fat shots, it also helps to avoid flipping AND to avoid overswinging. I had heard about this "start the downswing before you complete the backswing" thing before, but nobody ever explained it the way Brian does in the video. It's easy to do and it makes the swing so effortless. I gained a lot of distance with irons. Now I also understand what John Jacobs means, when he writes that it is impossible to "hold" a correct "top of the backswing position". It's true.
Two problems I had today: When trying this swing thought with the driver and fairway woods, I had a tendency to lose my balance at the finish. The shots were still excellent, but they must have looked a little clumsy.
The other problem: When I tried to consciously do the "underhand javelin toss", s***ks were the result. Maybe I do it right, when I do not try to do it, but when I really want to do it, a lot goes wrong.
But once again, excellent instruction by Mr. Manzella. Thank you.

Starting the downswing with a lower body move before the upper body completes the swing is a true fundamental that separates better players from poorer ones. Also helps prevent the slice. It's the secret of S.D. in my opinon. But, of course, you gotta get right to go left.

Balance: Your body is probably just adjusting to a new balance point. I'd give it some time. Do you flare your left foot out a little bit to catch your balance there?

Javalin: If you're hitting it well, don't worry about it. S#$%kns are usually caused by pulling the shaft into the ball with the heel of the club leading, and losing the feel of the sweetspot. Maybe the toss is taking your focus away from the sweetspot. Dump it if it doesn't work for you.

Good work.

Last edited:
Things evolve: like there is no right wrist cock, only bend.

It's not what I see in 5: ie 7:53 and the counterfall move in S.D. (33:30) and several other places.

Burner

New
Starting the downswing with a lower body move before the upper body completes the swing is a true fundamental that separates better players from poorer ones.

I thought Mr. Manzella debunked this idea in Golf show Number 5.

I think you may be referring to the Hogan myth of still making his back swing shoulder turn away from the ball whilst his hips had started unwinding in the opposite direction. That is, starting his down swing "hip unwinding" motion whilst still turning his shoulders in the opposite direction as he moved to the end of his back swing. A physical impossibility.

Hogan's lagging club head merely gave the impression of still going backwards while he was indeed, at that time, already into his down swing. This is what BM "exposed".

Savydan is referring, I think, to a conscious decision to start the down swing before the back swing ends in an attempt to prevent over swinging. In this scenario the back swing is interrupted, if you like, by a conscious, very deliberate, early start of the down swing.

I think you may be referring to the Hogan myth of still making his back swing shoulder turn away from the ball whilst his hips had started unwinding in the opposite direction. That is, starting his down swing "hip unwinding" motion whilst still turning his shoulders in the opposite direction as he moved to the end of his back swing. A physical impossibility.

Hogan's lagging club head merely gave the impression of still going backwards while he was indeed, at that time, already into his down swing. This is what BM "exposed".

Savydan is referring, I think, to a conscious decision to start the down swing before the back swing ends in an attempt to prevent over swinging. In this scenario the back swing is interrupted, if you like, by a conscious, very deliberate, early start of the down swing.

Yes, that is exactly what the explanations in SD help me to do. I do not have to try to control how far my hands or my shoulders go in the backswing. The thought of falling back to left foot is enough to take care of this, which is a lot easier for me than to think about how long the backswing is. I combine it with a lagging takeaway, and I feel that just when the clubhead starts to cock my left wrist, I step on my left foot. That probably means that the clubhead still moves towards the target side at that moment, but that is not what I think about.

Status
Not open for further replies.