Fixing "Rugby" and other things....

Status
Not open for further replies.
rugby,,,take a look where your hands are at impact and then compare with brian's clip at 43" when he said something like,,,kabaam, impact. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8KW5maWxis&feature=channel[/media]

you flipped. he held on.

I haven't read every post so I assume someone mentioned this, but if you learned how to hit a draw with an open face on the downswing transistion, and you did it by pitching the head forward, then you will hit the ball very high.

If you close the face now, and pitch the head forward, you will hook the ball.

Is your body too passive on the transistion? Yes. Why? Because it helps you pitch the clubface forward.

So, it must be a combination of: getting the face right, AND pivoting properly...and learning to have forward shaft lean at impact while rotating your forearms.

If you lock your right leg on the back swing, you have virtually no chance to start the downswing pivot in the right sequence when the ball is actually sitting there...and on a full swing.

BUT, improving your pivot will not automatically improve your impact alignments. You can still flip with a good pivot. A good pivot just gives you a better chance to deliver the grip before the head.

Indeed, a lot of it is the timing sequence you have in your brain, SO, it's not that your "body just won't do it"....because you can do better on a practice swing. Why is that? Because the ball is not there and there are no consequences. Your brain won't let you do it. You need to approach this from both angles.

But, you can't just tell yourself to "not care" and wait longer to unhinge the club. The proper drill is to distract yourself by using a tee or something and placing it in front of the ball (targetward). Then, only watch the tee while you hit the ball. Do not peak back to the ball on the backswing. Just hit the tee and let the ball get in the way. Then, for the first time in your life, you will feel the "delayed hit" that the tour players get and the flight will penetrate. You'll skank a few at first but then it will be nirvana.

Neither this mental drill nor the physical drills--clubface, right knee, etc--can be done by themselves. You must incorporate both into your practice routine. This way you have the enemy surrounded.

respectfully, i see the other way around. his so called open face is very often observed in people with good pivots as well. in fact, if you look at his dtl, his face looks fine at the top and on the way down until later into impact. i am not sure his inability to square the face CAUSES his pivot problem. (to be clear, by pivot i am talking about the loading of his right side).

how about his pivot problem contributes to his inability to effectively square his face? :) if the weight shift to the left leg is compromised, shouldn't the face remain open as a result?

No disrespect taken at all. I think I understand what you are saying and you are right for some golfers, but respectfully, I don't think so in Rugby's case.

In the bold, do you mean in the backswing?

I am speaking from the standpoint of coming from a baseball background, like Rugby, where I never thought about using the hands/arms to square up the club face. It was obvious that the ball had to be hit with the club sticking out from the shaft, but I still had no idea about the proper swivel action of the hands to square the face. No matter how good my pivot was, there was no control of the clubface--it would not return to impact in a similar orientation--so I really had no idea where the ball was going to go. He could get the best pivot in the world, but if he continues to drag the hosel into impact, his hands have to flip to square up the club face to get the ball going close to where he wants to.

I think to answer your last question, it would actually seem to me to be a way of getting some more time to square the club face just because if the weight shifted to the right and stayed there, the hands would be farther from the ball. But, Rugby is doing the opposite, he is trying to pivot by loading the left side(too soon of course) and so his body has to stop turning and use the right arm/shoulder to get the club head to square up in conjunction with flipping the hands.

It took me a few years and a lot of frustration to believe the clubface was the root problem for me and I am just trying to prevent Rugby from suffering the same waste of time I did. He is much younger and obviously has the potential to be real good, if he has a short game.

Anyway, we all know his best bet is to get a lesson or more from one of the Manzella Instructors and he will be well on his way to better golf.

Last edited:
No disrespect taken at all. I think I understand what you are saying and you are right for some golfers, but respectfully, I don't think so in Rugby's case.

In the bold, do you mean in the backswing?

I am speaking from the standpoint of coming from a baseball background, like Rugby, where I never thought about using the hands/arms to square up the club face. It was obvious that the ball had to be hit with the club sticking out from the shaft, but I still had no idea about the proper swivel action of the hands to square the face. No matter how good my pivot was, there was no control of the clubface--it would not return to impact in a similar orientation--so I really had no idea where the ball was going to go. He could get the best pivot in the world, but if he continues to drag the hosel into impact, his hands have to flip to square up the club face to get the ball going close to where he wants to.

I think to answer your last question, it would actually seem to me to be a way of getting some more time to square the club face just because if the weight shifted to the right and stayed there, the hands would be farther from the ball. But, Rugby is doing the opposite, he is trying to pivot by loading the left side(too soon of course) and so his body has to stop turning and use the right arm/shoulder to get the club head to square up in conjunction with flipping the hands.

It took me a few years and a lot of frustration to believe the clubface was the root problem for me and I am just trying to prevent Rugby from suffering the same waste of time I did. He is much younger and obviously has the potential to be real good, if he has a short game.

Anyway, we all know his best bet is to get a lesson or more from one of the Manzella Instructors and he will be well on his way to better golf.

Good things are happening. Couldn't take video today because all of the stalls were taken. Doing a much better job of staying behind the ball or "looking underneath the backside" as someone put it. Also doing a much better job with the back turn and doing so appropriately(not leaning toward target, reverse pivot), and the twistaway is becoming more and more second nature. I can physically tell when I'm not doing it - typical miss on twist away is closed on take away, closed up top, opens halfway down and wrists having to roll/flip to square it up. I can definitely feel it when I don't do it correctly. Also getting better at proper axis tilt that is reducing the draw that I mentioned yesterday when discussing the twistaway. Ball flight is also now MUCH better.

:D:D:D Very happy, I can see my goals in sight now :D:D:D Never broken 90..goal for '11 season is sub 85 :D:D:D Can't wait for the next "ah ha" moment.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
i haven't had time to read through this whole thing but got some snippets, if you have money problems do this:

Buy Never Slice Again 2; even though you don't slice you have an open clubface problem. The whole Never Slice Again pattern will help you learn to control the face, hit the ball with your hands leading, and develop a somewhat proper pivot if you do everything in the video as you are supposed too. It's also a REAL golf pattern you can PLAY with. I did for a long long time and played some of my best golf.

Don't try other things from this forum or elsewhere, do exactly what that pattern says to do and you will cure/fix MANY MANY problems on your own which you seem to be intent on doing.

If you have questions on how to do something in the video please stop by and ask or PM one of the instructors.

Hard to get better if you aren't working towards 1 thing, if you try and implement everyone's suggestions you'll get no where.

Hope that helps.

i haven't had time to read through this whole thing but got some snippets, if you have money problems do this:

Buy Never Slice Again 2; even though you don't slice you have an open clubface problem. The whole Never Slice Again pattern will help you learn to control the face, hit the ball with your hands leading, and develop a somewhat proper pivot if you do everything in the video as you are supposed too. It's also a REAL golf pattern you can PLAY with. I did for a long long time and played some of my best golf.

Don't try other things from this forum or elsewhere, do exactly what that pattern says to do and you will cure/fix MANY MANY problems on your own which you seem to be intent on doing.

If you have questions on how to do something in the video please stop by and ask or PM one of the instructors.

Hard to get better if you aren't working towards 1 thing, if you try and implement everyone's suggestions you'll get no where.

Hope that helps.

^^^x1000

typical miss on twist away is closed on take away, closed up top, opens halfway down and wrists having to roll/flip to square it up.

:D:D:D Very happy, I can see my goals in sight now :D:D:D Never broken 90..goal for '11 season is sub 85 :D:D:D Can't wait for the next "ah ha" moment.

Absolutely what I see. Keep track of your swing with the video, but realize "real vs. feel" and don't be discouraged if the video doesn't show huge changes at first. I would hope to see the biggest change first with the hands and wrists not flipping.

Last edited:
Dude, just quit. Nothing says you can't come back after you quit.

about 3 years ago i was in the same situation as the OP in terms of frame of mind, i got too frustrated and ended up doing just this, taking a break from it.. coming back now, i still have swing issues but a better mindset to improving..

Although I might have missed it, I haven't seen any remarks about your grip. First things first. It looks to me as if the left hand is turned too far to the left (counter-clockwise) and the club seems to be more in your palm than it should. This type of grip almost always results in an open clubface at some point in the swing. I recommend you take a good look at adjusting your left hand grip so it is turned more clock-wise and secure the grip under the heel pad, more in the fingers. My opinion is that the grip causes the clubface to open, twistaway move should help a lot but may not be as effective as changing grip. Or maybe a combination of grip change and twistaway move. Once the grip is changed you could expect to hit lots of hooks until your learn to use your pivot to slow the closing of the face. Finally, I recommend you keep a written journal of your swing thoughts/feels after practice sessions. Write down what you were working on and the results. Keep your improvement process organized and work on 1 or 2 key changes at a time. It takes a lot of correct repitions to change an ingrained pattern of swinging so stick with it! You'll improve as long as you stay committed and use each practice session as a chance to learn. Once you make real progress, the satisfaction will be well worth it!

Although I might have missed it, I haven't seen any remarks about your grip. First things first. It looks to me as if the left hand is turned too far to the left (counter-clockwise) and the club seems to be more in your palm than it should. This type of grip almost always results in an open clubface at some point in the swing. I recommend you take a good look at adjusting your left hand grip so it is turned more clock-wise and secure the grip under the heel pad, more in the fingers. My opinion is that the grip causes the clubface to open, twistaway move should help a lot but may not be as effective as changing grip. Or maybe a combination of grip change and twistaway move. Once the grip is changed you could expect to hit lots of hooks until your learn to use your pivot to slow the closing of the face. Finally, I recommend you keep a written journal of your swing thoughts/feels after practice sessions. Write down what you were working on and the results. Keep your improvement process organized and work on 1 or 2 key changes at a time. It takes a lot of correct repitions to change an ingrained pattern of swinging so stick with it! You'll improve as long as you stay committed and use each practice session as a chance to learn. Once you make real progress, the satisfaction will be well worth it!

Great ideas, really appreciate it! I've been trying to do the Manzella grip and even what I'm doing in the videos is a bit uncomfortable on my left wrist. I'll have to go over it again. Stay tuned and I'll post some pics of my grip set up.

ej20

New
Great ideas, really appreciate it! I've been trying to do the Manzella grip and even what I'm doing in the videos is a bit uncomfortable on my left wrist. I'll have to go over it again. Stay tuned and I'll post some pics of my grip set up.

I think you better stick to just one pattern or the advice of Brian or one of his staff.I don't think twistaway with a strong grip works well.

If your wrist is uncomfortable or get soreness in the left forearm, be careful when you take the grip with the left hand. Keep your arm and wrist relaxed as you place the fingers around the handle. If you "twist" the arm and wrist to create your grip placement, it will definitely cause discomfort. Remember, "place" your hands on the club instaed of "twisting". My opinion is that if you try to force the clubface into any certain position it's most likely a sign that your hands are not placed comfortably and correctly on the grip. Of course there are exceptions to this, but generally that has been my experience. Good luck to you!

This may help the wrist too:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/B79fJKxwVH4?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/B79fJKxwVH4?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Brian had me do it at the lesson I had with him to help stretch out my left forearm.

Rugby, not a coach myself, but envy the fluidity of the swing, not much wrong as far as I can see. a suggestion or two would be 'maintaining the forearm flying wedge at and beyond impact a little' and 'keeping the right foot not sliding before turning'. No drills though i have to recommend for the second point, however ben doyle videos in you tube will help with the first point.

Wow! 14 pages of replies on your swing... AMAZING!

You are coming up with all kinds of weird and wonderful things (eg: on page 1 you said "I've been trying to limit my hipturn on the backswing because I felt I was turning too much") Do you think it's possible to turn too much?

No practice today. Woke up late and realized Christmas is Saturday. Spent most of it shopping. I decided to change my grips, too. I had NDMC Midsize with two wraps on a couple of them. They fit my hand size, but not my hand girth. I have very meaty hands and thick fingers so it was just too much work to feel comfortable. After playing around with a buddy's Wilson blades the standard size just felt better and more natural. So I'm having GP tour wraps put on.

So, no practice today, but I did cave and buy Never Slice Again. I'm so weak :p

Status
Not open for further replies.