Fixing "Rugby" and other things....

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZAP

New
Rugby,

I bet you end up with all of them soon.

Great useful info now and down the road. ;)

Matt

Buy them all. Watch them all. It can only help increase your understanding. And in my opinion they are worth better than double what you pay for them.

Practiced a while today. All of my irons are still in the shop so I had 56*, hybrid, 3wood and driver. I started with the hybrid after warming up and things weren't going so hot so I switched to wedge. Using 40-50 yard shots I was able to better feel what I was doing wrong...mostly not rotating around the spine and keeping my head behind the ball. If I don't rotate around the spine and revert to my old backswing I hit it clunky, off the toe etc. If I don't keep my head behind the ball I'll either push it, pull it and it will go really high. Interesting that if I drive my right shoulder too far or stay too far behind the ball I'll pull it. Is this just where I need to find a happy medium?

After I slowed down things got better with the wedge and other clubs. It's amazing how much more difficult it is to control your body on the longer clubs.

I didn't leave happy, but certainly wasn't upset. Looking forward to getting better, still!

Last edited:
Interesting that if I drive my right shoulder too far or stay too far behind the ball I'll pull it. Is this just where I need to find a happy medium?

Be careful with the right shoulder, because it has been used to help square your clubface by going toward the target too soon and staying high. You need to feel as if the right shoulder is going down at the start the downswing. But still initiate the downswing with the lower body. Then use the twistaway of the left wrist/arm to square the club. If you twistaway and use your right shoulder how you normally do, you will definitely hit pulls because the clubface will close too much.

Be careful with the right shoulder, because it has been used to help square your clubface by going toward the target too soon and staying high. You need to feel as if the right shoulder is going down at the start the downswing. But still initiate the downswing with the lower body. Then use the twistaway of the left wrist/arm to square the club. If you twistaway and use your right shoulder how you normally do, you will definitely hit pulls because the clubface will close too much.

Had a rough night. Over the last couple days I'd been focusing on my wedge since my irons were in the shop. Thought I had the feeling down, but feel vs. real threw me back down the stairs. I still wasn't opening my hips/pivoting and as such my upper body and arms are still being forced to swing through. I really need to learn how to pivot and open up my hips. I've been doing slow dry baseball swings to help remind me of the feeling..just can't translate it to the golf swing. I'll see if I have some video here in a bit.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1A51xD1TQmk?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1A51xD1TQmk?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

These wedge swings are kind of indicative of what I was trying to do tonight, open my hips and get my pivot going. I know I let some of the other stuff slide with these swings, namely the twistaway, but I was focusing a bit more on the proper sequence and pivot. I was hitting the ball like shit but the swing motion is encouraging.

Do you guys think I'm onto something with this video(in regards to sequence and pivot)?

Sorry about the quality. Windows movie maker compression just kills the video. It looks 100x better before it's cut up.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4IrzgtE60Vk?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4IrzgtE60Vk?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Here's me today.

Foci: Club face closed to plane and head behind ball.

Results: Moderate. I can now sort of feel when I am open to the plane, however I wasn't staying behind the ball very well. I had a massive hook/draw on EVERYTHING.

Next Session Foci: Club closed/square, stop moving upper back toward target

Exactly which GOOD shot in golf is played with the face closed?

Love it that you then go on to say "I was making better contact than I was yesterday, but everything had a massive hook or draw on it,".... what did you expect?

Love it that you then go on to say "I was making better contact than I was yesterday, but everything had a massive hook or draw on it,".... what did you expect?

Because I was/am working on twistaway, which keeps the face closed to the plane in order to combat my having the face open and forcing me to flip to square. The goal isn't to have the face closed at impact, but closed on the back and downswing so I can kick the habit of having it open.

Because I was/am working on twistaway, which keeps the face closed to the plane in order to combat my having the face open and forcing me to flip to square.

The twistaway is a slicers cure, is it not?

You don't look like a slicer to me :)

What is it that you are trying to achieve in your swing? There are 3 main areas, consistency, power, control. You seem to have the POWER part sussed, so what is it that is letting down your game? What are your weak shots and why don't you look at the cause/fix for those?

In my opinion your shoulders turn too flat, your head moves too far behind the ball and the ball position is too far forward in your stance.

Because I was/am working on twistaway, which keeps the face closed to the plane in order to combat my having the face open and forcing me to flip to square. The goal isn't to have the face closed at impact, but closed on the back and downswing so I can kick the habit of having it open.

Keep working on the face until you don't flip so bad. then you can work on whatever you want. Hit half follow through shots and stop at the point when the shaft is parallel to the ground past impact and have the club face facing the ground. Do this and hit the ball straight. Then progress up to more of a 3/4 follow through shots with the shaft straight up and down and the club face facing the target(movie screen) and hit straight shots.
"Make sure your neck bone is behind your tailbone at impact", this is the drill Brian had me do.

Brian Manzella

Administrator

Geez........

The guy was a MASSIVE flipper without enough AXIS TILT or enough OPEN TORSO and the REASON WAS HIS CLUBFACE!!!!!!!

Now all those things that everyone would like him to do, he can get REWARDED FOR!!!!

Get it?

Please tell me you get it?

Geez........

The guy was a MASSIVE flipper without enough AXIS TILT or enough OPEN TORSO and the REASON WAS HIS CLUBFACE!!!!!!!

Now all those things that everyone would like him to do, he can get REWARDED FOR!!!!

Get it?

Please tell me you get it?

I don't :(

In fact I don't understand much of it at all. I can't find many examples of good golfers who move their head 8" backwards in the takeaway, who 'stack' themselves over the right leg, who turn their shoulders flat (which necessitates an inconsistent lifting motion with the arms doesn't it?) or who play the ball off their front foot apart from with a driver.

You can get away with pehaps one of these moves but putting them all together is a recipe for disaster, eg: yes you could play the ball off your front foot but if you combine this with a weightshift to the right foot then you've just made it practically impossible to get back consistently to a solid impact position.

... or not?

I'm trying not to be destructive here, after 2 years of swing research (and playing) I've literally only just stumbled on the swing you teach Brian, and I'm trying to look at it as constructively as possible.. I just don't get it as it seems to incorporate all the 'bad moves' that we've seen for the past 20years (the ones that caused a generation of slicers).

I did read a thread you posted Brian where you say something along the lines of you advocate certain moves within the stack&tilt method and yet I can't see which one(s) they might be? and I'd be very interested to know your opinion whether the whole 'Sean Foley phenonemon' will change the way people teach/learn to play golf?

You can get away with pehaps one of these moves but putting them all together is a recipe for disaster, eg: yes you could play the ball off your front foot but if you combine this with a weightshift to the right foot then you've just made it practically impossible to get back consistently to a solid impact position.

... or not?

I'm trying not to be destructive here, after 2 years of swing research (and playing) I've literally only just stumbled on the swing you teach Brian, and I'm trying to look at it as constructively as possible.. I just don't get it as it seems to incorporate all the 'bad moves' that we've seen for the past 20years (the ones that caused a generation of slicers).

My reaction is, "You can't be serious", but I think you are. So let me get this straight.
You find this site. You read a few threads. You find this particular thread started by a guy who has huge flipping problems. You criticize a forward ball position ( where is that coming from. I don't see any forward ball positions in the videos.)

Don't know what 2 years of research involves, but do you realize that Brian has been teaching for around 30 years. Are you a golf instructor, or just someone that decided to research the golf swing? The really puzzling part of your post is that you can't possibly understand what Brian teaches without reading the archives, buying some of the videos (they are a bargain), yet you are criticizing the swing he teaches. He doesn't teach a swing and is not a method teacher.

Finally, if you look at the swing posted at the start of this thread, and then look at the last video, can you not see the progress? Work in progress sort of thing. Huge improvement.

Ok, off my soapbox.

golfhappy

hi golf

i try never to b serious, but i will be this 1 time

its ok that you don't understand things.....(i don't either)

but when it comes across like you are trashing what Brian does,it doesn't sit well

steve (softconsult) as well as me and 100s of others believe in Brian....OH WE DISAGREE

with him.......but i think your words might have been chosen better...we do protect

Brian....when necessary...and figuratively (smack him) when necc.....so pls understand

some people come on here to trash Brian....I know.....YOU are not 1 of those people

softconsult is not correct..Brian is a method teacher......here let me show you

1- alexjacob........method

2- softconsult.......method

3- birdie-man......method

he GIVES US ALL WHAT "WE NEED"

please enjoy our site

a&J

softconsult...

I'm just a guy asking golf questions.

That's OK on a golf forum isn't it?

In reply to your questions: I'm not a PGA instructor, yes I know Brian has been teaching for a long time, I've spent the past 3or4 weeks as his No1 fan reading as much as I can (1000's of the forum pages) and watching as much 'Manzella video' as possible (websites & Youtube). He clearly has endless energy and enthusiasm!

I did find Brian's information on D-Plane very precise, informative and exceptionally interesting, the best I've seen infact.

However, in light of the fact that new information (trackman, D-Plane, slow motion video capture and the whole S&T thing) has come to light more recently it makes me want to ask questions.

I struggled for YEARS trying to hit down on the ball from the back foot, 15 years in fact, and got fed up of hitting fats/thins and that's why I'm surprised to see that it's still taught. i'd expect my local PGA pro to be obsolete in a few years if he continues to teach the same thing as he currently does when times are clearly changing.

As I said previously..
"I can't find many examples of good golfers who move their head 8" backwards in the takeaway, who 'stack' themselves over the right leg, who turn their shoulders flat (which necessitates an inconsistent lifting motion with the arms doesn't it?) or who play the ball off their front foot apart from with a driver."

Amateurs Yes, Professionals, No.

I have no qualms being shown otherwise.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.