Foley Says Kostis Mangled Tiger Swing Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could someone please explain this to me? How does it make any sense?

Foley shoots back at Kostis: "Boy did he get that one wrong": Local Knowledge: Golf Digest

Wednesday, August 8, 2012 Comments (2)
By Pete McDaniel

KIAWAH ISLAND, S.C. -- That noted swing rebuilder/refiner Sean Foley is both opinionated and thick-skinned is beyond debate. Since taking the reins from Hank Haney two years ago at the PGA Championship at Whistling Straits, Foley has brushed off the criticism from pundits with poise and grace.

Just as his prime student Tiger Woods was taught to let his clubs do the talking for him, Foley has opted to let Tiger's impressive stats, including three wins, beat back the horde of critics. He does, however, draw the line with TV analysts who, despite the use of the most sophisticated technology, make an incorrect call when it comes to Tiger's action.

"Boy did he get that one wrong,'' said Foley Tuesday afternoon, referring to CBS analyst Peter Kostis, who described Tiger's clubface as being "toed-in'' while hitting a tight draw last week during the Bridgestone Invitational in Akron, Ohio.

Foley went on to explain that the shot was actually executed with an open clubface. Through body rotation Tiger imparted right-to-left spin on the ball and that's what made it curve.

"His clubface was open say three degrees and his body rotation amounted to four degrees. That's what produced the draw.''

Simple math.

At the time, Foley was working with Hunter Mahan, who has been getting out of position on the through swing.

"When he (Mahan) hits it in the sweet spot he hits a nice draw,'' Foley said, demonstrating the good and bad positions. "The body controls the sweet spot.''​

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
I don't know how to react to this one because, while i hate Kostis with a passion because of his horrible swing analyses, Foley does own a trackman and knows how to zero someone out so i'm not sure why he would say body rotation.

It would be easier to say his club face was open 3* to his path but 2* closed to his true path including angle of attack. Could have been a nice lesson in explaining REAL ball flight but i digress.

This almost sounds like a misquote where he actually said the path was rotated 4 degrees right of targetline and the journalist took it to mean Tiger's body rotation imparted the spin, whatever that means.

This almost sounds like a misquote where he actually said the path was rotated 4 degrees right of targetline and the journalist took it to mean Tiger's body rotation imparted the spin, whatever that means.

I guess that is the most likely explanation. From my limited experience with the media I can only say that they got stuff wrong everytime I talked to a reporter.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator

Wouldn't doubt it and probably very likely.

Pete J

Banned
Only if the pivot didn't open the arms and face. How does the pivot influence the arms and hands to close the face?

Isn't there a theory that the face can be squared by the pivot and not direct intervention of the hands and arms?

Last edited:

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
That's exactly why this game is so confusing. The pivot, as an option, to controlling the squaring of the face has been around a long time. By your comment, are you saying you never heard of it?

Of course I've heard of it. It just doesn't make any sense at all and it's an easy one to discard.

ej20

New
I don't want to be confrontational Kevin but why is it easy to discard?
TPI has measured forearm rotation in touring pros and it's quite substantial.You may FEEL body rotation squares the face and it may certainly assist it somewhat but it's forearm rotation that does most of the squaring whether you feel it or not.

dbl

New
Face closes like 2000+ degree/sec near impact...so I'd have doubts that the body is doing much to contribute to the rate.

Face closes like 2000+ degree/sec near impact...so I'd have doubts that the body is doing much to contribute to the rate.

Surely no one can believe that the body squares the face. if you asked a 5 year old if that was possible they would look at you as if you were a daftie. Foley was probably misquoted. I suspect that the directors of the broadcasts have insisted on the principle of KISS for their commentators.

Last edited:

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I don't want to be confrontational Kevin but why is it easy to discard?

No worries about being confrontational. Once the face opens the body cant do much to square it. How could it? Body rotation will torque the club the other way. It's a horrible concept.

Status
Not open for further replies.