For all those that share Brian's "50 lb. goal" in 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is so funny that I consider the two salads I ate with mayo as cheating. The hardest part about zero carbing is finding quick food to eat on the go. I feel great, but stimulants like caffeine seem to make me groggy, sans caffeine I'm chipper and quite alert.

For over 70 years, the ketogenic diet have been prescribed to epileptic patients with much success. An assessment of this cohorts medical records could provide insight into the longterm effects of this lifestyle.

It is so funny that I consider the two salads I ate with mayo as cheating. The hardest part about zero carbing is finding quick food to eat on the go. I feel great, but stimulants like caffeine seem to make me groggy, sans caffeine I'm chipper and quite alert.

For over 70 years, the ketogenic diet have been prescribed to epileptic patients with much success. An assessment of this cohorts medical records could provide insight into the longterm effects of this lifestyle.

Ketogenic diet has been prescribed for children, not adults normally, that has severe epilepsy. Why would you want a diet for people with severe brain disorders? Its not a long term therapy either, usually no more than two years. Common side effects include cholesterol increase, acidosis, and constipation, and kidney stones.

Ketogenic diet has been prescribed for children, not adults normally, that has severe epilepsy. Why would you want a diet for people with severe brain disorders? Its not a long term therapy either, usually no more than two years. Common side effects include cholesterol increase, acidosis, and constipation, and kidney stones.

I know that it has been prescribed mostly for children, but I have not read anything about the side-effects that you list. You do know that there are variations of that diet? Why would you want to share the same diet as a grazing animal? :)

Higher cholesterol levels from a keto diet is often negated by the rise in both HDL/LDL cho. The ratio matters more than the subtle increase. Keto diets also lower triglyceride levels. Keto may not be as healthy as grazing, but it is healthier than what the FDA advises, and healthier than how most people in the western world eat.

I know that it has been prescribed mostly for children, but I have not read anything about the side-effects that you list. You do know that there are variations of that diet? Why would you want to share the same diet as a grazing animal? :)

Those side effects are well known. Atkins himself even acknowledged that constipation is common on his diet. Are there variations that don't produce ketosis? I doubt it, that would be pointless. The point is that ketosis is a process that is only normally used in dire situations to maintain some brain function. Why would I want to live like a grazing animal? Because humans are animals and our most common extant relatives(chimps/apes) are primarily vegatarians. Refer to this simple article for evolutionary information about nutrition.

http://www.nealhendrickson.com/mcdougall/030700pumeatinthehumandiet.htm

Bronco Billy

Pilfering......

Hey Future/Past..... Beside Grazing and Foraging Do You Pilfer Nests for Eggs? That is Do You Eat Eggs?

I've read this monster post with the greatest admiration for the levels of knowledge and insight displayed by all ( even Bronco Billy in his lucid moments ..)
However having recently changed my own lifestyle quite drastically, I have a slightly different take on the issue.
I don't think it is possible to draw any conclusions about the merits or otherwise of "conventional" dietary advice, because the simple fact is it hasn't been followed ! The typical American diet would seem to be a double Whopperburger with all the trimmings and a mountain of fries washed down with several gallons of some kind of soft drink. After which ( if a woman ) collapse heavily onto the nearest sofa and watch several hours of soaps or ( if a man ) do likewise but substitute sports for soaps.
Not surprising that obesity results really is it ?

Bronco Billy

Good Calories Bad Calories.......

I've read this monster post with the greatest admiration for the levels of knowledge and insight displayed by all ( even Bronco Billy in his lucid moments ..)
However having recently changed my own lifestyle quite drastically, I have a slightly different take on the issue.
I don't think it is possible to draw any conclusions about the merits or otherwise of "conventional" dietary advice, because the simple fact is it hasn't been followed ! The typical American diet would seem to be a double Whopperburger with all the trimmings and a mountain of fries washed down with several gallons of some kind of soft drink. After which ( if a woman ) collapse heavily onto the nearest sofa and watch several hours of soaps or ( if a man ) do likewise but substitute sports for soaps.
Not surprising that obesity results really is it ?

The Most Lucid of All is Gary Taubes........ Have a Great Day with Your New Found Knowledge........:)

Best thread on nutrition ever. I've literally read every post, read and watched all links provided by you guys.

Bronco Billy, niblick1, tank, bill miracle, thefuture37...you all are knowledgeable in my opinion. Keep it up.

My question is, I have a problem gaining weight while keeping my stomach flat. How doesn't one go about doing that?

Last edited:
Best thread on nutrition ever. I've literally read every post, read and watched all links provided by you guys.

Bronco Billy, niblick1, tank, bill miracle, thefuture37...you all are knowledgeable in my opinion. Keep it up.

My question is, I have a problem gaining weighting while keeping my stomach flat. How doesn't one go about doing that?

I assume you are talking about gaining muscle. You could figure out how many extra calories you need per day, but thats a rough guess at best. You are probably better off just gaining extra weight while you build muscle and then losing the fat after that.

Make it visable

I've not read the entire post. However, I'd suggest going to the Crossfit web page and take some of their ideas and concepts. I'm not suggesting to follow their workouts by any means because it would kill most of us. However, they post their work out of the day and everyone posts their times. It would be neat to have a sub-forum on goals of something like that. Then you could post your name in the topic and update daily what you have done to help achieve that goal.

Example: goal lose 20lbs

4/1 walked 2 miles
4/2 walked 9 holes
4/3 lifted weights routine #1 (3sets of curls, dips and pullups)

or goal break 70

4/1 practiced 3 and 6 foot putts 45 mins.
4/2 practice lag putting 20 mins - hit small bucket of balls on tagets less than 100 yards
4/3 hit bucket of balls targets 125 - 150.

etc...

Just a thought...

Bronco Billy

Exercise is a Good Way to Gain Weight Not Lose It.....

I've not read the entire post. However, I'd suggest going to the Crossfit web page and take some of their ideas and concepts. I'm not suggesting to follow their workouts by any means because it would kill most of us. However, they post their work out of the day and everyone posts their times. It would be neat to have a sub-forum on goals of something like that. Then you could post your name in the topic and update daily what you have done to help achieve that goal.

Example: goal lose 20lbs

4/1 walked 2 miles
4/2 walked 9 holes
4/3 lifted weights routine #1 (3sets of curls, dips and pullups)

or goal break 70

4/1 practiced 3 and 6 foot putts 45 mins.
4/2 practice lag putting 20 mins - hit small bucket of balls on tagets less than 100 yards
4/3 hit bucket of balls targets 125 - 150.

etc...

Just a thought...

Exercise Makes You Hungary and If you Eat Carbs to FulFill this Hungar You will Gain Weight..... Also Muscles are more Dense than Fat Therefore Turning Fat into Muscles will also Gain Pounds.....Aerobic Exercises are the Best....This type of exercise increases Your Metabolic Rate and thus you will burn Your Fuel more Efficiently..... If You are Fat and want to lose 30#s in a month..... Eat 3 meals a Day of 4 to 6 Eggs and a 1/2 # of Bacon per Meal... Also walk 5 to 10 Miles a day.....You will lose 30 #s, Never Be Hungary, and Probably will Feel better and be Healthier than at anytime in Your Previous Life...... Have a Great Day with Your New Found Diet and Knowledge.......:)

Exercise Makes You Hungary and If you Eat Carbs to FulFill this Hungar You will Gain Weight..... Also Muscles are more Dense than Fat Therefore Turning Fat into Muscles will also Gain Pounds.....Aerobic Exercises are the Best....This type of exercise increases Your Metabolic Rate and thus you will burn Your Fuel more Efficiently..... If You are Fat and want to lose 30#s in a month..... Eat 3 meals a Day of 4 to 6 Eggs and a 1/2 # of Bacon per Meal... Also walk 5 to 10 Miles a day.....You will lose 30 #s, Never Be Hungary, and Probably will Feel better and be Healthier than at anytime in Your Previous Life...... Have a Great Day with Your New Found Diet and Knowledge.......:)

Exercise makes you hungry, and if you eat moderate amounts carbs to fulfill this hunger, you will restore you glycogen stores and maintain your weight. Also, muscles are more dense than fat, therefore turning fat into muscle will cause a net gain of weight(which is not a bad thing). Aerobic exercises are best at burning fat, however anaerobic exercises(strength training) increases the efficiency of the muscles using available fuels, so they also are important in weight loss. If you want to lose 30lbs in a month, while becoming ketotic and constipated...eat 3 meals a day of 4 to 6 eggs and 1/2lb of bacon per meal...also then walk 5-10 miles a day with no glycogen stores(good luck not wanting to kill yourself after that). You will lose 30lbs, never be hungry, and will probably feel like shit and be in your worst health ever, despite the weight loss. Have a great day with your new found diet and knowledge?

What a foolish statemet. How about because humans are OMNIVORES and not CARNIVORES!

How about the idea that humans CAN utilize animals for food, but animal products aren't the IDEAL food source. Humans can't get rid of excess cholesterol from animal products efficiently. Humans are omnivores, so it puts us between the two extremes of carnivores and herbivores. The question is which extreme do humans fall closer to. The inefficiency of dealing with animal products, along with the lack of carnivore-like features, suggests that humans are much closer to herbivores.

Of course it would be advantageous to be able to utilize animal products, as well as plants for our ancestors. But back then, if you wanted a steak you had to kill it yourself. Today all you have to do is open the fridge. How much heart disease do you think prehistoric man dealt with?

Status
Not open for further replies.