From the ground up???

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you think posting would look like? Do you think the left leg has to get totally straight to be posted?

The advantage of building your swing from the ground up (which you can tell Ricky is doing because his hips are turning back towards impact before the arms even finish the backswing) is that it is the most efficient way of creating speed at impact.

But isn't this assuming too much? Arms moving back in the backswing does not mean that he hasn't started applying an opposite outward force. And if he has then the body would react. Thus the illusion of a ground up start. In reality is the body moving to support the start of the swing? But I guess we will never know until we stick needles in him.

Gris Gris!

But the body reacting is the ground force thing, isn't it? It is just that the body would have reacted IN ADVANCE of the actual arms moving back the other way.

I don't understand why the obvious physical action is termed an illusion. I am not saying that Rickie is consciously starting with his footwork, I have no idea. I'm saying that the physical action starts with the footwork. Whether that is because of a conscious intent or a subconscious result of his body preparing itself for an upper body conscious action doesn't matter. The footwork comes first.

jeffy

Banned
There is no "posting on the front leg" or "driving with the back leg": there is external rotation (bowing the knees) and flexion (bending the knees and hips), then internal rotation (snapping the knees together) and extension (straightening the knees and hips).

Screenshot2011-11-03at95737PM.jpg
Screenshot2011-11-03at95757PM.jpg

Screenshot2011-11-03at95135PM.jpg
Screenshot2011-11-03at95157PM.jpg

Jamiefronflexed.png
Jamiefronextended.png

Jamiebackflexed.png
Jamiebackextended.png

Sneadfaceonflexed.png
Sneadfaceonextended.png

Jackfaceonflexed.png
Jackfaceonextended.png

Arniefaceonflexed.png
Arniefaceonextended.png

Mactwo-thirdsdown.png
Macpost-impact.png

Perryflexed.png
Perryextended.png

Angelflexed.png
Angelextended.png

Last edited:
Every picture has bend legs straightening, has forward hips rising. Call it extension, call it posting on the left leg. Either way it is a good action.

What do you do in your swing to perform these actions? How do you get the external rotation and flexion going, and then how do you turn it into internal rotation and extension?

jeffy

Banned
But the body reacting is the ground force thing, isn't it?

The body is creating the ground force; you're saying it is "reacting" to what it is simultaneously creating? My head hurts...

It is just that the body would have reacted IN ADVANCE of the actual arms moving back the other way.

Uh, run that by me again...the body reacting IN ADVANCE to something that hasn't happened yet? I feel like the Aflac duck:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/O-EZf56AfYc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I don't understand why the obvious physical action is termed an illusion. I am not saying that Rickie is consciously starting with his footwork, I have no idea. I'm saying that the physical action starts with the footwork. Whether that is because of a conscious intent or a subconscious result of his body preparing itself for an upper body conscious action doesn't matter. The footwork comes first.

The footwork comes first? How do you know? It certainly doesn't look like it comes first. Why doesn't the physical action start where we can see it start (and it isn't the feet)? You're just making it up.

jeffy

Banned
I don't understand.

These folks are all MASSIVELY USING the ground to help them.

No, they are standing on the ground and massively using their lower bodies. The ground is just sitting there, providing resistance. They aren't "using" it to "help them". Without the body movements, nothing would happen. The ground wouldn't provide any "help" at all.

jeffy

Banned
Every picture has bend legs straightening, has forward hips rising. Call it extension, call it posting on the left leg. Either way it is a good action.

"Posting on the left leg" couldn't be further from what these guys are doing. None are rotating around the left leg axis.

What do you do in your swing to perform these actions? How do you get the external rotation and flexion going, and then how do you turn it into internal rotation and extension?

For that, I'm going to have to charge you...

No, they are standing on the ground and massively using their lower bodies. The ground is just sitting there, providing resistance. They aren't "using" it to "help them". Without the body movements, nothing would happen. The ground wouldn't provide any "help" at all.

??????????What else are we supposed to "use" for "help"? Without the ground, the lower body movements would do nothing.

Last edited:
Maybe the way to look at it is they are forced to contort their lower bodies in order to keep their balance while hitting the ball freaking hard. I find it hard to believe their intent is to "turn" or "push" with their lower body, unless they have synchronization issues. I still see everything that happens with the lower body as a result of the power applied rather than the cause. It's all in the intent.

I highly doubt ANY of those players' intent is to heave the handle and the clubhead through.

Last edited:

jeffy

Banned
??????????What else are we supposed to "use" for "help"? Without the ground, the lower body movements would do nothing.

"Help" means to "provide assistance or support", something incremental to one's own, unassisted efforts. The ground can only reflect one's efforts, it can't amplify them. It is passive and inert and generates no "force" of its own.

"Help" means to "provide assistance or support", something incremental to one's own, unassisted efforts. The ground can only reflect one's efforts, it can't amplify them. It is passive and inert and generates no "force" of its own.

Exactly what the ground does--provides support in performing the action of the golf swing--help. I admit, I haven't read the whole thread, so who says it amplifies forces?

Ok then, if that's your definition then absolutely the ground does not add any additional force than what the body generates by pushing against it.

So what relevant does that have to whether to generate power in your swing from the ground up? Your initial post was that Rickie Fowler is not building his swing from the ground up, and that he obviously does not "use the ground" or "shear forces".

Since then you've totally changed this to some point about the ground "helping". So maybe instead of creating whole new arguments every step of the way and totally changing what question you originally raised you can recognise that the answer is clear and definitive that Rickie does USE the ground (none of us are saying that it in some mysterious way provide him with additional power that doesn't involves his own weight, muscles and effort), that shear forces are involved in his swing, and that he does begin from the ground up.

jeffy

Banned
Exactly what the ground does--provides support in performing the action of the golf swing--help. I admit, I haven't read the whole thread, so who says it amplifies forces?

"Help" does not mean "to bear the weight of, especially from below", which is the definition of support you are referring to. The synonymous definition of "support" for "help" is "to strengthen".

The ground does "support" the golf swing by "bearing the weight from below". It does not "help" the golf swing by providing assistance or strengthening the golf swing. It doesn't have independent power. That is why the phrase "using ground forces to help the swing" is wrong-headed.

Last edited:

jeffy

Banned
Ok then, if that's your definition then absolutely the ground does not add any additional force than what the body generates by pushing against it.

So what relevant does that have to whether to generate power in your swing from the ground up? Your initial post was that Rickie Fowler is not building his swing from the ground up, and that he obviously does not "use the ground" or "shear forces".

Since then you've totally changed this to some point about the ground "helping". So maybe instead of creating whole new arguments every step of the way and totally changing what question you originally raised you can recognise that the answer is clear and definitive that Rickie does USE the ground (none of us are saying that it in some mysterious way provide him with additional power that doesn't involves his own weight, muscles and effort), that shear forces are involved in his swing, and that he does begin from the ground up.

I was just following the flow of the conversation, I didn't direct it in any particular direction. Brian said that "These folks are all MASSIVELY USING the ground to help them." (post 45).

I see absolutely no visual evidence that Fowler begins the downswing from the "ground up". As I said earlier, you are just making it up. Nor do I see any evidence that he "posts up on the front leg" to create a "shear force" that will rotate the body around the front leg powered by a pushing motion from the back leg. That is complete nonsense.

I see absolutely no visual evidence that Fowler begins the downswing from the "ground up". As I said earlier, you are just making it up. Nor do I see any evidence that he "posts up on the front leg" to create a "shear force" that will rotate the body around the front leg powered by a pushing motion from the back leg. That is complete nonsense.

What do you think it would look like if he was using ground forces including shear forces? If his swing started from the ground up? I think it would look exactly like it does.

Watch his lower body. The first move back anti clockwise is his right leg twists. How does he do that without creating any shear forces?

Have a look at about 7-8 second and you will see hit left knee go from turning to straightening. How does his do this without creating shear forces?

As for a description that equates swinging from the ground up with ... "posts up on the front leg" to create a "shear force" that will rotate the body around the front leg powered by a pushing motion from the back leg ..." well I totally agree that is nonsense. If that's what you think swinging from the ground up and using ground forces means then no wonder you can't see it. You push off your back leg to create hip speed and to get the centre of gravity moving to the front leg. The upper body rotates around the front leg as the pivot point on the downswing. But all of these things are part of one overall action. They blend together. The whole is moving all the time.

I don't think you're wrong about the external/internal rotation and the flexion and extension. I don't understand why you think they don't involve ground forces or start from the ground up?

Status
Not open for further replies.