Golf Channel Competition

Status
Not open for further replies.
No kidding. Brian could out teach and out act these guys in a heart beat. Although Shawn Clement's piece was very respectable... the others.... wow not so much... looked like 15 handicappers.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
I have been practicing quite a bit.

Today I shot a 40 minute D-Plane video which I will put up for free, and an 8 minute Golf Channel practice tip.

No kidding. Brian could out teach and out act these guys in a heart beat. Although Shawn Clement's piece was very respectable... the others.... wow not so much... looked like 15 handicappers.

The problem is they assume the audience is absolute beginner. Clements is OK I guess, but his swing is painful to watch and a lot of his stuff I think is highly suspicious (i.e. made up.)

Brian would be a breath of fresh air. And he takes the time to understand all the popular models out there, so even if you don't agree with him at least he's not speaking from ignorance.

As it stands now I pay ZERO attention to any of the on air golf analysts.

rainbow, I can see what you mean, but I think even these videos aren't neccessarily for stone cold beginners. However, you have to consider the audience. How much of the single digit handicapper vs. double digit handicapper watches the golf channel instruction shows for real "advice" on how to make a golf swing? My guess is most better golfers watching it will pick up something here or there, but if you are serious about golf, it's not your first source (as it should not be). The point is to put real information out to the masses so people can tell BS from solid information.

In regards to Clement, yeah his swing looks a little funky, but the guy also can play to 0 from both sides of the ball (switch hitter) using the same pattern. His teaching is very feel based and he really tries to teach the old Alex Morrison / Percy Boomer / Bobby Jones type pivot with the reversing hips. Doesn't work for everyone (I hook the crap out of the ball trying to pivot like that, but I'm 25 and limber like crazy), but I'd rather see someone in their mid 40s or 50s who is a stone cold slicer learn to make that kind of dynamic pivot versus trying to do the X factor.

Like i said though... Brian is gonna blow them away. Brian, make a video where you show giving a lesson and fixing someone on the spot. Grab trackman, walk up to a guy on the range, and fix his swing right there. Film the entire thing. Make people say "holy #$%^#& that guy is good!". Only thing you risk is people thinking it was staged or faked (add a disclaimer).

Better idea... do a video on how golfers can help themselves! Joke about it on the video like "yeah yeah i know, i'm supposed to be doing this for a living, what am I, crazy?" but talk about understanding ball flight, and how to setup and look at 2D video THE RIGHT WAY to understand things about your swing. As a mid handicap golfer, what else could you want to help you really think.. man I can't wait to try that!

rainbow, I can see what you mean, but I think even these videos aren't neccessarily for stone cold beginners. However, you have to consider the audience. How much of the single digit handicapper vs. double digit handicapper watches the golf channel instruction shows for real "advice" on how to make a golf swing? My guess is most better golfers watching it will pick up something here or there, but if you are serious about golf, it's not your first source (as it should not be). The point is to put real information out to the masses so people can tell BS from solid information.

(add a disclaimer).

I disagree ... I think the golfing public is starving for better info and more intelligent delivery. It's the reason why Clement's video is the clear stand out currently. And even then it's only good by comparison.

I disagree ... I think the golfing public is starving for better info and more intelligent delivery. It's the reason why Clement's video is the clear stand out currently. And even then it's only good by comparison.

No argument about them needing clear information, but even clear information must be delivered to the right level for the target audience. You cannot please every viewer. There are gonna be people who tune in and say "I don't need help on my full swing, my putting stinks.. why isn't he talking about putting... and walk away". Or those who tune and and say "good information, but nothing new to me, or not my problem right now". This is why Brian has videos like Building Blocks, targeted primarily for teaching total beginner golfers (though admittedly useful for anyone because the information is solid). Not every video is going to be a science lecture, and it shouldn't be. You have to demonstrate versatility as a good instructor (something a lot of these instructors cannot do... they can only teach one type of swing, one type of golfer - the one that works with their pattern and fits their mold and teaching style).

I think we are more in agreement than disagreement.

Brian is still gonna blow them away. Serious... no contest.

Wow.

No bones about it, Victor put me to sleep, Erika was hot and those hats need to go.

Good luck Brian, hit em out of the park buddy.

C+ ok what would you give it???

If we didn't see Brian's comment on he gives it a C+ WHAT WOULD YOU GIVE IT??

if you want to help Brian......WE MUST be constructive with OUR thoughts ...that would help him...

he will "blow them away" does not help..

dbl

New
I watched about 6 of these. Styles and skill are all over the place.

Clement bothers me because he seems unbelievable, selling his worldview or something, and has a strange looking swing, starting with a right knee kick in.

John Eliot presented and had believability.

C- for youtube practice clip

Hi Brian, not posted for a while but been following your site.

ust watched your practice clip and it is not representative of your knowledge or presentaion skill. you can do alot better.

You open with a comment about alot of players asking you how much do you hit down....is that a common question for the intended audience (or even those who will be judging this competition) ??

Starting by asking a question that most of the audience would not even understand the significance of (or I believe ask) is not going to keep the audience for the next 7 mins.

You meander through impact hands / FLW etc... great material, nice use of the pole to show right wrist bend...but the audience would have been lost by that time. i think the forum will get it ...but you have their attention already.

What do you know better than all the pros??

....to me it is D plane and impact and passionate communication of this difficult topic in simple ways.

You don't need 40 mins to blow peoples minds away with D plane - you got to get them in the first 40 seconds by making them realise that everything they ever knew about how they achieved their straight shots was incorrect...but you can unlock the secret to ballflight in easy to understand terms...

This practice version does not have your usual focus, tight scope of material or passion.

You are habitually brave to put up a practice run for comment and I hope you do not mind this frank response.

You can do alot better - good luck.

more advice

Brian - use your knowledge to blow away the myths and bunkum of impact and alignments in some beautifully simple 30 second demo....

then you have the audience ...their very golfing bedrock trembling.... (that clip on youtube where tom Watson tells the clinic that he discovered the secret of golf in 1990 something ....that grabs the audience... he had won 5 British opens before he knew what to do.... (what he learnt was D plane)

you spend 4-5 minutes rebuilding one area ( keep it beautifully simple and staright forward - your future audience are being sold alot of "3 easy payments of $33.99" stuff remember).... somthing to fix their slice....

then leave them wanting more with a teaser for the future... pattern 13, zero

Give them a taste of the journey you have been on...you've taken every wrong and (at the time) right turning in your quest to get the best info for your students...you did the long journey so they don't have to ... you did the science stuff so they don't have to "do the math" !!!

I have not always agreed with you but there is no doubt that you can do this job and in turn do the golf teaching business a great service.

Just remember that the Trojans would not have let a wagon full of greek warriors into their city if they had looked like a wagon full of greek warriors intent on rape, pillage and looting.... you got to be the pretty horse to get inside the citadel....only then can you let the warriors loose! ;)

Brian - I've not seen the practice clip that golfbulldog is talking about. Maybe you've taken it back down for a rethink.

Here's my tuppenceworth on this, and I'd like to see you get this (a) since I think you want it pretty badly, and (b) as it would be pretty fair payback for what you've put into the forum and youtube vids to get a wider audience

1. I think the competition will be judged on presentational issues rather than technical content. It's a truism that only 10% of what people take away from hearing you speak is what you actually say. 90% of perception is based on visuals, tone of voice and personality. There's no need for that to hurt you - but you're going to have to resist the temptation to impress with technical insights. I don't get the impression that this is a problem for you in day to day teaching, so don't let it become a problem for your video presentation. Less than 1% of people who see you on the Golf Channel will have any idea what "impact hands" are.

2. I get the impression that when you set out your stall as a teacher, you take great pride in your ability to fix Joe Average, especially Joe Average the slicer, and to fix him fast. If you do 10 mins on how to fix the common or garden slice, I think that will be pretty compelling. You know that stuff backwards, and I'm sure you'd like to do something novel - but not slicing is going to be pretty novel to an awful lot of potential viewers.

3. This is a little unfair - but you pride yourself on not having a single method. Unfortunately, I think this may work against you in this format. A ten minute taster of someone's method is an easy sell. You've got to work harder. I'm not sure what to suggest, but if you can cure the slice in 8 minutes - then you've got two minutes to put NSA in the context of the Manzella Matrix. That'll be episodes 2 and 3 at least then.

4. Personally, I think D-plane is the wrong subject for this format. You might be able to explain it in a few minutes. I doubt that you will get the average viewer to appreciate why it is so important.

5. If what you were originally doing with hitting down/FLW is to explain how some conventional advice can be exaggerated or taken too far - then I think that would work well. FLW and/or lag being taken to extremes would be a great case study as far as I'm concerned. So too might be a still head.

6. Take a leaf out of the SnT book and start with solid contact. I'm not talking about the method, but they were smart enough to realise that golfers will do almost anything for the promise of making solid contact. My experience of growing up and learning the game was that a solidly-struck slice (insofar as that's not a contradiction in terms) ranked higher than a clunky, low-flying but straight shot. How about a Top 3 ways to make solid contact?

Take this, or chuck it - but best of luck with it whatever you go in with.

dbl

New
>>maybe...how some conventional advice can be exaggerated or taken too far <<

I like the above.

And as far curing slices, I'd say consider holding on to some of your jewels (like NSA) until you really make it onto the TV show. Or maybe, for the test video, give them 3 of the 10 steps, with a real student and leave them wanting more.

Status
Not open for further replies.