Golf Channel Competition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow those videos were absolutely terrible and embarrassing. I don't understand the appreciation for Clements, I fell asleep once I realized he was going to give me an anatomy lesson and he continuously said "right" after everything he said as if the audience was 8 years old and lacking comprehension. IMO an 8 minute video that's designed to help golfers should never include the word "facets". And let's be honest the rest of the videos were disgraceful to the PGA and golf instruction in general. If your going to put a video into a competition at least make sure people can hear you and don't film it on your cell phone.

That being said, Brian has an excellent shot to make it to the finals because he offers real information that really works. I do like the idea of offering tips for solid contact, and I think the first practice video was a step in that direction. You could go through Brian's YouTube channel a pick any video that fits the time constraints and it would be the hands down winner right now.

My guess is that TGC would like to see a piece about the slice and how to cure it. That's the typical M.O. for these types of deals. Although I think with today's equipment the slice isn't nearly as big of a problem as low point control seems to be. I found it odd that so many of these presentations never got into curing the slice. So I think they'll be looking for a really good, crisp presentation and something *new* as far as what is being presented.

3JACK

I liked the Michelin Man pants.:D

Come on guys, we talkin' 'bout practice. This aint his first rodeo, and I bet he's got a good idea how to tighten it up. But come on, we talkin' 'bout practice.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frsId3goYYE[/media]

Brian, my only advice is that you are aware of what they say they are looking for 7-10 minutes in length, what separates you from the others, charisma, and knowledge. You obviously have the last two and I am confident that you can find more than one thing that separates you while being viewer verbiage friendly. Mainly wanted to let you know that it should be 7-10 min. in case you missed that. I also think that is the order of importance; uniqueness is the priority, charisma is secondary, and knowledge is just necessary.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Give 'em a few "BA-loneys", maybe a "I DIS-agree" and an "I"m not 100% sure about that" for good measure and I dont care if the video is about how to bake a cake and you'll win.

C

caedus

I liked the bird in the bunker , except the camera angle needed adjustment

Give 'em a few "BA-loneys", maybe a "I DIS-agree" and an "I"m not 100% sure about that" for good measure and I dont care if the video is about how to bake a cake and you'll win.

Totally agree. Go full manzella. Add extra hot sauce and gumbo. People like controversy and disagreement. Don't hold back -- really frickin go for it. Explain that you can fix a slice in an hour and tiger in 3 hrs and the famous mr. PGA pro doesn't have a clue.

Last edited:
Totally agree. Go full manzella. Add extra hot sauce and gumbo. People like controversy and disagreement. Don't hold back -- really frickin go for it. Explain that you can fix a slice in an hour and the famous mr. PGA pro doesn't have a clue.

I think the gumbo would only work in small web tip section...pooring hot sauce all over a 7-10 minute segment might be seen as overkill...the web tip allows a short segment for "potted character"... IMO Brian's baloney needs an outing but not overuse...

7-10 minutes is quite along time and needs some substance...

Dissing PGA pros would make Brain a corporate liability ...

The competition is pretty poor in terms of production values/ understanding camera angles and set up/ editing ... Brian can do that stuff in his sleep.

You got to remember that the Golf Channel may be looking for a woman...they can't say that out loud though...but a well-presented woman who can talk to camera may open up their channel to women viewers more...this "Job" is not to replace one of their existing instructors...it is to add to the lineup...another salary has to pay for itself somehow...and as a byproduct it creates easy programming from the competition shows themselves...if they secretly want a woman...it may be tough to beat....

You got to remember that the Golf Channel may be looking for a woman...they can't say that out loud though...but a well-presented woman who can talk to camera may open up their channel to women viewers more...this "Job" is not to replace one of their existing instructors...it is to add to the lineup...another salary has to pay for itself somehow...and as a byproduct it creates easy programming from the competition shows themselves...if they secretly want a woman...it may be tough to beat....

Just guessing here, but brian may not be willing to get implants to get this job. We all have to draw lines somewhere.

Shawn Clements, for example, knows something about golf, but this video is dreadful. A huge number of people tune in here because Brian is entertaining and the info is great. No need to tone it down now.

Totally agree. Go full manzella. Add extra hot sauce and gumbo. People like controversy and disagreement. Don't hold back -- really frickin go for it. Explain that you can fix a slice in an hour and tiger in 3 hrs and the famous mr. PGA pro doesn't have a clue.

Controversy and disagreement,maybe? Building yourself up by tearing someone else down is very unprofessional and can be seen as distasteful by many. Be yourself but be professional.

Brian,
You define, describe and label REAL WORLD golf swing problems and how golfers try to go about
fixing them better than anybody.
I like the intro you used in Never slice again.
Be yourself, don't leave out the Manzella-isims!

Matt

Controversy and disagreement,maybe? Building yourself up by tearing someone else down is very unprofessional and can be seen as distasteful by many. Be yourself but be professional.

Eh, I just mean be colorful and entertaining. There is a nice, professional - and entertaining - way to say these things. Don't do an anatomy lesson. But then Brian already knows all this.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
What I will do and won't do.

After spending three hours shooting a D-Plane video, I just turned on the camera and did 7 minutes off the top of my head.

I put it up and some of you saw it. It was taken down because of an audio problem on some computers.

But, I got some nice, solid advice.

And I have on this thread as well.

First of all, the segment I will send it will be on ONE topic. They want to see if you can do an 8 minute run-on sentence.

I can.

It will NOT be in your face, anymore than Never Slice Again is.

I won't rip anyone, this is TV folks.

I am going to shoot four or five of them one day soon, and pick one.

Then, I am going to reshoot the same one three or four times, and pick between the original, and the "re-shoots."

I will post it here first.

Thanks for all the help.

dbl

New
Brian, of those other people's videos up at tgc, many do not stick to "one question" for the full 7 minutes. If short game, it is 3 different chips. Bunker play was shown at 3 different stations, with different techniques. Biomechanics has a lesson in anatomy then core muscles groups for the full shot. Scoring better had 4 or more locations on a course.

Not sure if you should likewise pick an "area" or general project question to give you the same flexibility.

7 minutes on how to tie golf shoes or take a grip, might be overload.

I haven't read the rules, so it's up to you read the rules and consider what they are looking for, of course.

Brian,
A lite version of NSA will be great. Flat out in your face attitude about face vs path and slice. OTT is a compensation and NOT A CAUSE. Fix your FACE. Please do not rip Ray Romono's swing coach. TGC has invested too much money on him

Last edited:
he'll know what to do ... I really don't think he needs any coaching

Very true.

I think my comment sparked some reaction. All I really meant was "don't forget to add a drop of La hot sauce or two" to the gumbo. But, as you say, it's not like Brian needs tips on entertaining people and knowing your audience from me or the forum anyway.

And I could have been more diplomatic about S. Clement's video. He's obviously a teacher who knows his stuff and has done a ton of good free video, some of which I've watched. I think a less dry topic would have showcased his skills better.

Status
Not open for further replies.