Golf Channel Competition

Status
Not open for further replies.
After spending three hours shooting a D-Plane video, I just turned on the camera and did 7 minutes off the top of my head.

I put it up and some of you saw it. It was taken down because of an audio problem on some computers.

But, I got some nice, solid advice.

And I have on this thread as well.

First of all, the segment I will send it will be on ONE topic. They want to see if you can do an 8 minute run-on sentence.

I can.

It will NOT be in your face, anymore than Never Slice Again is.

I won't rip anyone, this is TV folks.

I am going to shoot four or five of them one day soon, and pick one.

Then, I am going to reshoot the same one three or four times, and pick between the original, and the "re-shoots."

I will post it here first.

Thanks for all the help.

Brian, the only problem I see is that this forum is NOT representative of TGC audience, and the focus group I assume TGC will use. I belong to a couple of forums that cater to the average golfer. You may want to consider having your vids critiqued there for a different perspective. I can probably get you featured on one of them and you should get at least a couple dozen responses.

Lots of good advice so far.

I would recommend reading the rules! Quite a few of the videos don’t stick to them. They want a web-tip. Do a web-tip.

It also seems weird that people haven’t sought speech-making advice or anything. Even read some books. ‘Real Leaders Don’t Do Powerpoint’ is pretty good and I think a lot of the principles are transferable to being good on screen. Real teachers don’t use Pro V1? I kid.

Can’t see how they would be able to use any of the ‘method’ teachers. The response to every viewer question would be the same and can’t see The Golf Channel wanting to be used as a platform for {insert name of proprietary golf methodology here}. The Golf Channel will own you! Signing with a major!

Think of American Idol or whatever it is. ‘I’m going to sing one of my own songs’. ‘I only sing country’. How does that ever go with the judges?

The tough thing for Brian will be toning down the science. Teaching Idol. Compromise of integrity for commercial success? Weird.

I don’t think they want another Michael Breed, but however many series American Idol makes it through, don’t they always seem to pick someone attractive that can sing? Are they interested in song-writing prowess? Nope.

Lots of good advice so far.

The tough thing for Brian will be toning down the science. Teaching Idol. Compromise of integrity for commercial success? Weird.

Some good points to consider. I don't think Brian should change much from how he would do a normal lesson for someone who does not frequent this forum. I also don't think Brian will be one to be too controlled by TGC. They will definitely want control, but how much is the question.

The more I think about this, the more I think they are looking for a new presenter as much as a teacher, and not a teacher with their own ideas.

Can you imagine Brian sitting around with a load of Golf Channel guys saying "Tell us about this D-plane thing again..."? I hate to say it, but I can't see the new Essential video finding its way onto the air, regardless of how much good it would do for the golfing public willing to get their noodles around it.

To labour a metaphor with more rhetoric, do you think Simon Cowell is interested in any of his new idols' original material?

well I disagree. what has a better chance of succes: another infomercial smiley face showing how to get it out of the bunker, or offering something new by being the leader in exposing TGC audience to all the latest discoveries and teaching implications of sophisticated measuring devices like Trackman?

Last edited:

dbl

New
I just got an email for a supporter of a nearby high school golf coach. Sounds like we shall need to cast "like" votes once Brian's video is up there:

The email says:

"
For those of you not yet aware, I have entered a Golf Channel contest to become its new golf instructor. The promotion asks swing coaches to film and upload a video segment that showcases their talent, knowledge, presence and other characteristics that qualify them to be a television personality.

Among other judging criteria, the Golf Channel is measuring each video's "buzz" by the number of people that visit the Golf Channel website and indicate they "like" my video.

I am encouraging you to go XXX.com (edited) On my homepage, I have a direct link to the Golf channel page, which is where you will find my video. Once you select it, you can click "like."

In order to process your "like," you will need to go through a very brief registration process, which requires little more than a user name and a password. Don't worry; you will be able to opt out of receiving any additional e-mails, offers, etc.

Please feel free to pass this along to all your closest friends, and thanks very much for your support. Who knows what will happen, but it sure could be fun, keeping it REAL on the Golf Channel.

Current leaders in the "like it" stakes...

Shaun Clements 500+
Erika Larkin 120+
Tracey Roberts 50+

Most of the others single figures...

Can you create an email list with this forum software? Install PHPList or some other bulk mailer on your server, and blast all 9000 members of your forum. *Exclude your obvious rivals. Votes!

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
Brian, you better get something up....I would hate to see Clements win this thing simply because he was one of the first ones to "post it up"

Brian, you better get something up....I would hate to see Clements win this thing simply because he was one of the first ones to "post it up"

Don't particularly like Clement's video either. Not that the information is wrong, just that it really loses people. I've shown some of the video's to friends and they all get bored with just about all of them.

I submitted one to them, but I'll be happy just to get an honorable mention.

Edit: If I did miraculously get my own show, I'd bring Brian on as frequently as they would let me.

I submitted one to them, but I'll be happy just to get an honorable mention.

Edit: If I did miraculously get my own show, I'd bring Brian on as frequently as they would let me.

Ringer, What name did you submit it under? I can't find it.

Clement will certainly not win this just because he was one of the first ones to publish. The Canadian really knows what he is talking about in many aspects. I understand many of you guys, se a lot of flaws in his teaching and even his own swing. Fine. But I think you need to be more humble and when you criticize and flame him you'd better come up with more than "I don't like his "right" -saying or his knee kick in the start of his swing. Especially if you want to be credible.

The plain TGM (Chuck Evans and Lynn Blake, with all dur respect for these guys.) made me a very rigid and stiff (0-)swinger, well more like a hitter, huh?. After watching some of Clement's videos, I finally began to move and, yeah, literally swing with my body.
A lot of Clement's teaching makes sense - especially for a 50 year old guy like me. (herniated disc -ouch!)

I love Brian Manzella and his instructions and he, well YOU Brian, would be the first one I would visit if I ever come to the states. (Hopefully I will.)
But please, show Clement some respect - even if you don't love him.

called

i spoke to the golf channel (no names mentioned) the "like" is related to FACEBOOK

people from golf channel decide on final 4....

good luck...

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
@betterlead

I didn't flame Clements...You could substitute anyone's name in there who already has a video up.

Glad he helped your game..

P.S. I love swedish snus.

Sorry - flame was too much for me to write. But sure, let's flame the rest. ;)

Haha, snus smells good, but I have never liked it under my own lip.

/Cheers

Last edited:
They seem to be having encoding problems. They had it posted for a minute, it played at 2 times the speed of the audio, then they took it down.

The youtube is here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Rm7Hc5_feQ

FWIW, after watching the D-Plane video of Brian's I am of the opinion the plane line should be shifted SLIGHTLY left of the target. I believe he's absolutely correct.

Last edited:
i spoke to the golf channel (no names mentioned) the "like" is related to FACEBOOK

people from golf channel decide on final 4....

good luck...

Yeah I read the rules. TGC decides the top 4, then top 4 get a 30 min pilot show. Best 1 of the 4 get full time gig.

Funny how many of them don't fit the time limit or web tip requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.