Handle dragging "just when I thought I was out they drag me back in"

Status
Not open for further replies.

mp29

New
Listen pal....you wanted a CUT AND DRY number.

We have it.

Stop the whining.

Whining???? What's that number bud? And who decided exactly what it was? Maybe you have to travel to NY and pay to get measured to know if you're dragging it. LOL. Or maybe it's like fine art, you know it when you see it.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
I have no idea who you are, bra, but you think you know 100 times more than you do,

They'll be 1000s of systems that can measure it in a couple of years.

In the meantime, PLEASE keep handle dragging. You know you love it.

mp29

New
I have no idea who you are, bra, but you think you know 100 times more than you do,

They'll be 1000s of systems that can measure it in a couple of years.

In the meantime, PLEASE keep handle dragging. You know you love it.

I do know one thing - Ben Doyle loved it when his students stopped throwing the club head by dragging the handle.

Look....

You have a certain SPEED of the mid point of the grip.

You have a certain SPEED of the in the plane rotation of the bottom of the grip past the top.

On the abject THROWAWAY side, you have very little speed of the mid point of the grip and a relatively high speed of the in the plane rotation of the bottom of the grip past the top of the grip.

On the MASSIVE HANDLE-DRAGGING side, you have a relatively high speed of the mid point of the grip and a relatively low speed of the in the plane rotation of the bottom of the grip past the top of the grip.

That's it.

Right. That was my understanding of it. And so by that definition, I'd say the pros with the most free release include Nicklaus, Hogan, and Norman. While the biggest draggers include Spieth, DJ, and Trevino. Nothing wrong with dragging, per say, if it produces optimal collision. The ball will never know the difference.

Intent?

I have NEVER EVER SAID ANYTHING about "intent."

Interestingly, MEASURED ON ENSO, some PGA TOUR PROS who lean toward the handle-dragging side of my brilliant scale ;). have A HIGHER RATE OF CLOSURE!

Yes, thought so too. Just confirming.

Makes sense some handle draggers have higher rates of closure. IMHO they handle drag because they have high rates of closure, not the other way around. Actively handle dragging slows it (rate of closure) down a bit.

I think no handle dragging is the right way to swing the club. The only pre-requisites IMHO are (1) you should have a big accum 3 angle to widen that clubhead arc, and (2) extend your left side. Both (1) and (2) slow down face closure and shallow the AoA. Hogan had both. Nelson had lots and lots of (2).

With proper clubs, you could even further mitigate the effects of higher rate of closure with gear effect.

I do know one thing - Ben Doyle loved it when his students stopped throwing the club head by dragging the handle.
Makes sense too because Doyle loves a less or unzeroed (or towards it) accum 3 angle. So that presets a high rate of closure. So he'll love handle dragging, yeah.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
dashiz.jpg

Why try to guess....its none of the above.

But.....the TGM illusions vanish in lead wrist graphs.....poof

You mean the flat left wrist? Yup, agree with you. IMO, TGM was so into FLW due to its preference to a zeroed out accum 3. Need to move hands forward, need shaft lean, all to make room and move low point forward. Handle dragging becomes a necessity too.

Status
Not open for further replies.