Harmon "teaches" pitching to a handle-dragger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Any takers on this? Frans? Brian? Anyone?

I know my question is pretty stoopid. I'm just interested in the rate of change of the curvature during the ball flight.

Thanks Frans, but I would also like to know WHEN the curve happens as (to the best of my knowledge) it doesn't happen uniformly throughout the ball flight.

Basically the ball curves UP the D-Plane, and falls straight (curve wise) down.

Thanks Frans, but I would also like to know WHEN the curve happens as (to the best of my knowledge) it doesn't happen uniformly throughout the ball flight.

Good question, no idea. Think I have to agree with Cloran here and also might depends on the ball....both dimple and construction...and as far as I have read there is also the question about the spin axis changing during flight. I understood that that is why researchers use a second trackman down the range because that will allow them to pick up that data during the end of the flight.

Thanks Brian and Frans.

OK, would that mean that the ball is not really curving as it is flying/staying on a plane? Man, I'm one crazy mofa.;)

Any takers on this? Frans? Brian? Anyone?

My best understanding of physics says that so long as the lift is greater than the weight of the ball, it will indeed begin to climb up the D plane. 1.62 ounces isn't that much weight to create lift on when the ball spins at the RPM's it does and has a velocity that it does. I can't imagine it wouldn't lift immediately up along the D Plane.

My best understanding of physics says that so long as the lift is greater than the weight of the ball, it will indeed begin to climb up the D plane. 1.62 ounces isn't that much weight to create lift on when the ball spins at the RPM's it does and has a velocity that it does. I can't imagine it wouldn't lift immediately up along the D Plane.

What thoughts on this? I'm not claiming to know - but my gut feel (ie guess!) is that spin won't create enough lift force to carry the ball above the initial launch angle. Anyone actually know?

Good question, no idea. Think I have to agree with Cloran here and also might depends on the ball....both dimple and construction...and as far as I have read there is also the question about the spin axis changing during flight. I understood that that is why researchers use a second trackman down the range because that will allow them to pick up that data during the end of the flight.

Frans -

That would be interesting to see this type of research. Is it public?

What thoughts on this? I'm not claiming to know - but my gut feel (ie guess!) is that spin won't create enough lift force to carry the ball above the initial launch angle. Anyone actually know?

I have observed ball flights that have started on one angle, then have increased their angle/height. The first time I observed this I was playing with strangers and this guy was blasting his 3 wood over 300 yards. Every one of his balls had this appearant flight. What has always puzzled me was his some of his fingers were bloody like he was adding some serious gamma. I tried to figure it out but could not.

I found more video of Jose chipping, but in this video the swing length is the same as what Butch is showing for the BACKSWING. Clearly though, the forward swing is much further and the hand action is quite different.

The chip in the 2nd video... I LOVE IT. That's how it should be done. So glad I saw it.

Status
Not open for further replies.