Hit DOWN on the Driver...(audio commentary w/pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
did he play a straight shot, draw, or fade?

Last week, I recorded a VJ's tee shot on one of the closing holes. He hit down on it, and he pushed it way right, way way way off target.
Nuff said?
I don't think so.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
i'm getting really sick of this issue, brian just close the topic already. Whether someone hits up or down, it doesn't matter. You can do either.

Also there is no way possible to actually measure with any accuracy what the clubhead is doing up/down attack wise during the impact interval because it can't adjust for what the SHAFT is doing. END OF STORY.

quote:Originally posted by jim_0068

i'm getting really sick of this issue, brian just close the topic already. Whether someone hits up or down, it doesn't matter. You can do either.

Also there is no way possible to actually measure with any accuracy what the clubhead is doing up/down attack wise during the impact interval because it can't adjust for what the SHAFT is doing. END OF STORY.

I agree man...I don't think there's much more that anyone can really get out of this. Just goes on and on in circles.

Burner

New
quote:Originally posted by Playa_Brian

did he play a straight shot, draw, or fade?

Last week, I recorded a VJ's tee shot on one of the closing holes. He hit down on it, and he pushed it way right, way way way off target.
Nuff said?
I don't think so.
Straight as an arrow, clean through the green.

Final word.

quote:Originally posted by jim_0068

http://www.lynnblakegolf.com/Video/ErnieEls.wmv

This was taken from the gallery section @ www.lynnblakegolf.com I do not know who submitted it to them or how they got it. Watch the video however many times it takes...clubhead keeps traveling down after impact.

CLOSE THIS THREAD
Jim, check the angle on that video again. it's in front of him, toward the target, Ernie does NOT tee up his driver rear of the middle of his stance. it makes it look like he's hitting down when it's just moving left. And for the record, I just went through it clicking frame by frame like 6 times and between the camera angle and the shadows, you can't see enough to make any sort of determination that's unbiased. Most TV footage is infact offset forward like that.

Burner - Hitting a driver off the deck and hitting it off a 3" tee require different approaches. Anything hit off the deck needs to be hit downward.

Brian - You still don't understand what I'm saying. You MUST keep the left wrist flat. It's tilting your spine away from the target and a higher left shoulder (two things prevalent in all golfers worth their salt), combined with ball position, at impact that cause the upward path.

I'm still the only one with digital information recording the path of the clubhead. We can both show pictures of players that look like they're doing either this or that, but get me solid data and I'd be more impressed.

A readers digest version of the physics of the arguement (and they really can not be argued) - hitting down is shorter, but more accurate (the accuracy increase is from the increase in backspin, which lessens the effect of sidespin). Hitting up is longer, but less accurate (again due to the decreased backspin).

The way the game is played at the highest level is simply hit it as far as possible, leave yourself the shortest approach possible, put it on the green, 8 iron from the rough is better than 6 iron from the fairway...and thus it is advantageous for them to hit up.

At the more common level, people generally NEED MORE backspin. Both to keep the ball more on line and to keep in in the air longer, and thus most amateurs would be better off hitting down. It'll cost them a few yards, but they'd be in less trouble more often

I hope we can all agree on the last 3 paragraphs.

Ever since the size of the Drive heads have increased, there is no problem with placing the ball on the UPside of the circle just past low point to hit a TEE shot. This still keeps the swing on a proper swing plane and the the integrity of the CIRCLE. The thought of hitting upward for most students changes the geometry of the circle creating a flat oval with an awkward falling of the body to the rear. If the golfer knows the swing shape, a circle, then ball location can help change the ball flight pattern.

But, any ball off a tee that lies on the ground should never be placed beyond the low point. The ball must be before low point because “Hitting Down” is not optional it is essential.

I don't have any real substance to add to this "Do They Hit Down With the Driver?" debate.

Here is a brief overview.

========================

Some argue that if club is going down at Impact but going up at Separation, it is debatable whether that's hitting down.

Some argue there's a flat spot in the arc of clubhead motion.

Some argue that just because the shaft is leaning forwards doesn't mean clubhead is going down.

Some argue that you must have a launch monitor to confirm because the camera angles involvedn make photos deceptive.

Some argue that since the left shoulder is moving up, even if the hands are in front of the ball at Impact it doesn't mean you're hitting down.

Some argue that you want to hit up on the ball if you want to win a long drive contest (i.e. max distance).

========================

I am sure there are many more points to add.

But this is not the point of my post.

My point is this:

I don't care whether the clubhead is actually going up or down throught the ball, but one thing's for sure: you're always directing your thrust DOWNwards (and outwards).

You never try and direct thrust upwards.

Never

No debate about that.

End of story.

Case closed.

Man, I love the search feature on this site.

We need a debate between 2011 vs 2005. Maybe even throw in 2016 for good measure.

"Yeah, it's like Bizarro Superman—Superman's exact opposite, who lives in the backwards Bizarro world. Up is down; down is up. He says "Hello" when he leaves, "Goodbye" when he arrives."- Jerry Seinfeld

"Yeah, it's like Bizarro Superman—Superman's exact opposite, who lives in the backwards Bizarro world. Up is down; down is up. He says "Hello" when he leaves, "Goodbye" when he arrives."- Jerry Seinfeld

It's funny, I was thinking about that episode of Seinfeld when I read this thread. This thread is BIZARRO MANZELLA.

Was doing a search on the forum for another topic and came across this thread. I think it would be interesting for someone to summarize in a Top 10 format, since there are probably thousands, the things learned by or found by the Brian Manzella group since 2005 to now that changed.

Was doing a search on the forum for another topic and came across this thread. I think it would be interesting for someone to summarize in a Top 10 format, since there are probably thousands, the things learned by or found by the Brian Manzella group since 2005 to now that changed.

That would be a hell of a thread.

Darn it! I've spent so much time and effort to make hitting up work for me. Now I have to redo everything with hitting down. Argh!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.