Hitting down - Ben Doyle video

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the Golfsmith Tech Dept. -- they are designing drivers to beat the USGA by hitting it high on the face (equates to hitting down with driver).
"The Comp 450 will be a little longer for on-center hits but the 650T is longer when the ball is struck just above the center of the face. The Snake Eyes 650T has a reactive cup face which is .2mm thicker in the lower 60% of the clubface than our uniform face thickness designs (i.e., like the Compressor). The upper 40% portion of the face is .5mm thinner. The thicker lower face allows for the clubhead to be measured as a conforming driver to the USGA while the upper portion flexes much greater than our other designs. Since we are promoting ball contact higher up the face we are able to make that portion of the face hotter, but have to thicken the lower portion to meet USGA COR/CT rules. "

Dentman,
I know we've "killed the horse" but I just can't seem to stop wanting to beat it to death! So, in regards to hitting down on the ball and my crude thought of directing the lag downward at a "imagined" contact point 1/3 above the equator (remember, you were thinking of directing the force at or below the equator- not a good idea). I noticed on Lynn's site- under gallery he has a video of Mr. kelley (take a look at it) saying "You come down on the ball as if you were going to drive it into the ground" - You can't do that if you are thinking of hitting the equator or below the equator- nor can you do that if you are more concerned about the inside aft portion of the ball versus the down portion. So you've got an actual contact point- below the equator due to the loft of the clubface and you've got a procedural contact point where you are directing the clubhead lag i.e. the force- which must be above the equator in order to hit down on the shot. Given my example of an eight iron and thinking that I am directing the lag above the equator 1/3- that correlates to thinking that I am driving the ball into the ground at a 30 degree angle. That may not be the reality but that's the sensation that I feel. Die Horse! Die!

rundmc

Banned
quote:Originally posted by Mike O

Dentman,
I know we've "killed the horse" but I just can't seem to stop wanting to beat it to death! So, in regards to hitting down on the ball and my crude thought of directing the lag downward at a "imagined" contact point 1/3 above the equator (remember, you were thinking of directing the force at or below the equator- not a good idea). I noticed on Lynn's site- under gallery he has a video of Mr. kelley (take a look at it) saying "You come down on the ball as if you were going to drive it into the ground" - You can't do that if you are thinking of hitting the equator or below the equator- nor can you do that if you are more concerned about the inside aft portion of the ball versus the down portion. So you've got an actual contact point- below the equator due to the loft of the clubface and you've got a procedural contact point where you are directing the clubhead lag i.e. the force- which must be above the equator in order to hit down on the shot. Given my example of an eight iron and thinking that I am directing the lag above the equator 1/3- that correlates to thinking that I am driving the ball into the ground at a 30 degree angle. That may not be the reality but that's the sensation that I feel. Die Horse! Die!

Mike O,

Thanks for hammering away! Same 30 degree feel for the 4 iron? I'm a chicken with long irons. How does one with a border line 10-2-D grip get the long irons up? I'm playing a course now where I have to hit 4 iron a couple of times a round. I already have one hybrid not ready to put the 4 iron on the bench yet.

Despite being admonished for being simplistic this is one of the things old AJ of AJ Golf infomercial fame advised. He actually had a ball with a nail through it. Bang the nail into the ground. He also had people drawing clubfaces on their left wrist. He was patting himself on the back for being revolutionary. No mention of Mr. K. Probably doesn't know or care who he is.

Texas Dawg Collar Match between AJ Bonar and Mr. Kelley. I'm bettin the cash on Mr. K. Winner winner chicken dinner!

Run,

This is your homeboy....NAT...Take that 10-2-D and and open yer stance a little and hit an inside-out cut shot aka. Fred Coubles...you'll get high..I mean elevation!!!! But DO NOT be ashamed of a 2nd hybrid...Soon you'll see 3hybrids, 3 cavity backs, and 3 muscle backs in the same set!!! I'll bet you dibs on a Bucket or a Tailgate Special...Loser buys!!!

NAT
PS. I think I played golf with ol'AJ in Palm Springs at the Plantation(All men's Club)...If it's the same guy...hits it short... real short...BUT Straight!!!

rundmc

Banned
quote:Originally posted by Non-AuthorizedTGM

Run,

This is your homeboy....NAT...Take that 10-2-D and and open yer stance a little and hit an inside-out cut shot aka. Fred Coubles...you'll get high..I mean elevation!!!! But DO NOT be ashamed of a 2nd hybrid...Soon you'll see 3hybrids, 3 cavity backs, and 3 muscle backs in the same set!!! I'll bet you dibs on a Bucket or a Tailgate Special...Loser buys!!!

NAT
PS. I think I played golf with ol'AJ in Palm Springs at the Plantation(All men's Club)...If it's the same guy...hits it short... real short...BUT Straight!!!

Tailgate Special! Shazaam!

When you said "hit" an inside-out cut shot, are we talking Hit? Or Swing or either or?

My set goes Driver, 18 degree 4/5 wood, 22 Hybrid, to 4 iron. What would the next hybrid be? Or should I tweek the set a little different?

quote:Originally posted by Mike O

Dentman,

Mike - yes the horse is probably dead now, but I'm not averse to a bit of equine flogging.

The clip of Mr Kelly is very intersting - his delivery path looks very steep to me - just the thing I have been lacking. I also don't see see any forced frozen right wrist, but a look that he is feeling the weight of the clubhead, with soft hands. You can also see his pivot working.

I am working on small chipping strokes only this week, hitting DOWN off grass. Last night I started to hear a strange click as I hit the ball - not the usual muffled thunk I'm used to with the tell tale green spot on the club face, where the grass is trapped before the ball. A strange sensation and very promising.

jr33

New
I have been working on cut shot therapy for a couple of days now. I am trying to get rid of my side swipe. It seems to be helping as I am now going down and out and getting some sizzle back.

quote:Originally posted by jr33

I have been working on cut shot therapy for a couple of days now. I am trying to get rid of my side swipe. It seems to be helping as I am now going down and out and getting some sizzle back.

Brian showed me how to hit cut with my driver while still rolling hard with his ring pointing to the ground technique. you smother hook for a while, but you get use to it.

I just wanted to bring this thread back up to the top. Some great info here on acquiring a flat left wrist through the impact interval. For the newbies just be careful to not get the head too far toward the target on the downswing in an effort to get the hands ahead. Study pictures of the best players and try to duplicate.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.