Ideas about The Release - a video by Brian Manzella (comments/reviews)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was hitting some balls pretty close to the hosel, and some real off center shots with the driver, then I realized I was aiming too much to the right, with my old more pivot driven swing I would aim right and drag it back the the center and draw it. Using this new pattern I feel I need to aim my shoulder plane more square or even a bit left of the target and my shots are more solid...much like Nicklaus or Couples. Hitting power fades is a cinch, and hitting a draw I feel like I just set up square with the face aimed a little right...make sense?

leon

New
What I would have you try is to do your "out-toss" with the face and left arm turning more downward and get you left arm to "replace" itself better.

Brian, you've used the term 'replacing the left arm' a few times but I don't recall seeing it in the new release video (although I've only watched it once). Please could you explain what you mean?

66er

New
Brian, you've used the term 'replacing the left arm' a few times but I don't recall seeing it in the new release video (although I've only watched it once). Please could you explain what you mean?

Yeah same here, I have no idea what it means either, Michael jacobs talks about it quite abit too, so I assume its somewhat important.

Finished watching the video; lots of great stuff in there (not just on the release, mind you) and well worth the $20.

Brian, you used the term "cut angle" in association with Spin Loft. Am I correct in assuming that Cut Angle refers to the difference between the horizontal components of Face and Path (ie. Difference between "True Path" and "Club Face")?

Michael Jacobs

Super Moderator
Finished watching the video; lots of great stuff in there (not just on the release, mind you) and well worth the $20.

Brian, you used the term "cut angle" in association with Spin Loft. Am I correct in assuming that Cut Angle refers to the difference between the horizontal components of Face and Path (ie. Difference between "True Path" and "Club Face")?

Mjstrong,

Spin Loft involves Dynamic Loft & Angle of Attack componets

Mjstrong,

Spin Loft involves Dynamic Loft & Angle of Attack componets

Well, yeah, I call that Vertical Differential since those are merely the vertical components of the D-Plane. Trackman's definition neglects the larger, 3D angle created by any Horizontal Differential. At the very least, they (TM) should have a name for this larger, more accurate measure.

However, my questions was just, "Is your use of the term 'Cut Angle' referring to the difference between the horizontal components of the D-Plane, meaning Club Path and Face Angle (to stick with TM terminology)?

Mark

Michael Jacobs

Super Moderator
Well, yeah, I call that Vertical Differential since those are merely the vertical components of the D-Plane. Trackman's definition neglects the larger, 3D angle created by any Horizontal Differential. At the very least, they (TM) should have a name for this larger, more accurate measure.

However, my questions was just, "Is your use of the term 'Cut Angle' referring to the difference between the horizontal components of the D-Plane, meaning Club Path and Face Angle (to stick with TM terminology)?

Mark

Mark,

Great questions...

We had this detailed discussion at the Flightscope Convention, Brian brought a very good point to the table one night when he and I were having dinner.

When we use the term cut angle in the traditional sense, it is the typical terminology used for Spin loft .. The difference between dynamic loft and angle of attack. The point that we have made with the release is that it promotes the following:

If the dynamic loft remains the same and you produce a lower angle of attack you will improve 'compression'

The Spin loft component has basically been limited to a vertical component in pop D Plane publications... Brian has brought to the table horizontal divergence and its role in reduction of compression. We have gotten some answers over the past year but plan to have an official consensus at the Anti Summit 2

Ah, okay, so you're using Cut Angle AS Spin Loft. Gotcha.

I don't know what answers you'd be looking for, it's fairly simple physics and math as well. The Horizontal Divergence, as you call it, will absolutely add to the Spin Rate and Compression/Smash Factor variables (which are the effects of Spin Loft). The golf ball doesn't know the difference between up & down and left & right, so anything that applies vertically will also apply horizontally.

I'll PM you some material for your review. Threadjack over; sorry folks.

Michael Jacobs

Super Moderator
Ah, okay, so you're using Cut Angle AS Spin Loft. Gotcha.

I don't know what answers you'd be looking for, it's fairly simple physics and math as well. The Horizontal Divergence, as you call it, will absolutely add to the Spin Rate and Compression/Smash Factor variables (which are the effects of Spin Loft). The golf ball doesn't know the difference between up & down and left & right, so anything that applies vertically will also apply horizontally.

I'll PM you some material for your review. Threadjack over; sorry folks.

Mark,
Those were our conclusions obviously.. Believe it or not I have had a tough time getting the industry leaders in that department to commit to providing math on the subject. If you have some I would love to check it out

just tried the stuff in the Ideas about The Release video and my ball flight seems a bit straighter, but very high. A bit too high. Anyone having similar problems?

Jwat

New
just tried the stuff in the Ideas about The Release video and my ball flight seems a bit straighter, but very high. A bit too high. Anyone having similar problems?

Yea I am definitely having that issue. Although with the Increased club head speed and the added loft it would promote a higher flight.

Another +1 for the video, and the extra clarification vimeo Brian posted

Just got back from the range where I think I finally started to get it. Got close over the weekend but really seeing the ball flight changing now. Higher probably, but starts out lower and more penetrating.

The key thought for me seems to be to keep the right shoulder turned and high out of transition. If I try and keep the left shoulder down to prevent early turn and tug, I just end up diving down too much and either hit super fat or a super hook.
Right shoulder back & up, hand path wide and 'normal' = happy Bertie :)

I've been with the release thread from day 1, watched all the videos and the shoulder movement tugging has only really sunk in now. Just proves that some of us need to keep hearing things in new ways to finally *get it*

I tried to download it and my computer still said 4 hours after around 1/2 hour. What's up with that. I'm using a VZ 4G card, though admittedly it's only 3G where I live.

Brian,

Can the release video be viewed instantly after purchase? The link sent to my email does not show the video.

Transaction ID: 2W359769G0654725K

Thanks
David

So far, the primary keys for me are: 1) keeping my back turned to the target for as long as possible --- until after...2) shooting the basketball with my right hand. Once my right hand extends to shoot the basketball, everything else just automatically happens in what seems like the blink of an eye.

The results have been: 1) solid drives hit dead-center on the clubface, with a major increase in lag feel and shaft kick, and, 2) dead straight iron shots.

I have discovered that "shooting the basketball" more behind or more toward the target line helps induce a draw or fade, respectively. Shooting the basketball more parallel to the target line is an almost certain recipe for a straight shot.

The increased distance in my drives soon resulted in me trying to put forth more effort to drive it even farther -- and that's when I got off track. I quickly realized that the increased conscious effort was causing the early shoulder/grip tug to return, which creates inconsistent results.

So...when I resist the old urge to tug and drag the handle, good things happen. It's simply incredible to me how the two simple thoughts of keeping my back to the target and softly shooting the basketball results in the clubhead speed and snap at impact that I thought I had lost.

I find it really helps me to consciously focus on the feel (and location) of the clubhead and to give zero thought to my hands and grip. Unfortunately, at the moment, I get in trouble when I think about the coupling point because it usually leads to a tug or a rushed swing in which I lose my timing. I know that it's just a matter of getting those thoughts, ideas and feels in the proper order.

I had some major grins on my face yesterday while walking nine holes in chilly weather. I now look forward to every trip to the course and am anxious to merge these great ideas with proper timing and sequencing.

Last edited:

BallFlightPros.jpg

Just wanted to follow up with a chart from Trackman that I hadn't seen before, using the terminology "Cut/Curve Angle", which appears to refer to the Horizontal Differential, or the difference between Club Path and Face Angle.

working on this, with driver this seems to work great, with the irons i seem to be hitting thin, and pulling left. maybe need to bend little more as i was trying to stand taller as brian said but i think maybe getting to tall ? will keep working on the cast off move, i think ive been "tugging" for so long that cant help but do that still, which is probably causing the thin/pull left mostly. is there any other vids on the pull up part of the release, didnt really get much in the vid on that, maybe more on the feeling of what comes after the shoot the bball, and then swinging thru and pull in/up , for me at this point that seems to be the hard part. will keep working on it, hoping can turn this into something consistent and easier on my body :)

thx
Vince

so any thoughts/drills something to stop tug ? i just cant seem to consistenly get the arms moving down and thru without spinning out:p when i can it seems to hit well, i just cant keep my back to the target and do the "release" consistently.

thx
Vince

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Here is a simple exercise for you to do.

It is my go to drill now in lessons with tuggers.

Make a backswing, "leaving your body" as at the top as you can, swing your arms down as far as you can practically.

From there (the clubhead should be 20-30 inches from the ball (apply your hip slide—but not hip turn). The clubhead should be 10-20 inches from the ball now.

You can then see how little you CAN move and reach the ball (by going ahead and pivoting only as much as you need to reach impact).

After that, you can do it as a motion drill, SWING it down to position A, then back, SWING it down to position A, then back, SWING it down to position A, then back, and THIS TIME "catch it" with your pivot and swing to the finish.

Jwat

New
Brian,

For some types of swings, would the drill be just as effective with hip rotation instead of hip slide once the hands/arms have reached their low point?

I have been working on this drill since my lesson a few months ago, but have found that the hip slide is still keeping me underplane. Lately, I have been focusing more on hip rotation instead which is making me stay taller and in turn has taken away the reward for sliding out in front of it. It has also lowered my trajectory slightly and given increased distance.

So would it be safe to say that maybe underplaners could benefit from hip rotation instead of hip slide with this drill and even in the full swing?

Thanks for your response

Jerad

Status
Not open for further replies.