Ideas about The Release - a video by Brian Manzella (comments/reviews)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
For all, especially Brian, what could I do *wrong* in working on the toss?

The "out-toss" is only important in the longest of backswings.

If you learn to not tug, release in the plane of the right wrist bend/arch, put the radius in the ground, and "go normal," you are SLICK!

Brian Manzella

Administrator
If the result of that feel is ...force in the direction the shaft is pointing... can you differentiate for me the move you are talking about, and the endless belt concept?

Sure.

It is NOTHING like the endless belt concept.

The endless belt effect would have you believe that more lag = more speed.

EdZ

New
I think you are talking more 'late release point' (i.e. location of the end of the belt)

If the end of the belt is away from the target, you would end up with an earlier sweep release, that is still radially accelerated (along the shaft)

You mention in the video that the move you are describing can result in 'more lag' for many, which is basically a way to teach those folks to actually radially accelerate "in the direction the shaft is pointing" - which at the top, is away from the target.

So the 'belt' is away from the target, sweep release.

As Jack describes - release from the top.

Follow me?

If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things.

- Rene Descartes

Jeffy,

Seriously? You haven't been paying attention. The following from Jwat's thread is representative, plus, of course, my comments on Brian's video posted earlier.

Could you put it all together Jeffy. It would help if you just listed the things that you think are mistaken or wrong in the video and explain, with scientific evidence, why you have come to that conclusion.

Feels like this thread is more about Jeffy than the release video...like a few others lately

It's as if you and Michael are onto something to generate this level of questioning :p

footwedge

Jeffy,

Seriously? You haven't been paying attention. The following from Jwat's thread is representative, plus, of course, my comments on Brian's video posted earlier.

Could you put it all together Jeffy. It would help if you just listed the things that you think are mistaken or wrong in the video and explain, with scientific evidence, why you have come to that conclusion.

It's not finished yet, project 1.68. Consider this. http://med.stanford.edu/ism/2011/july/golf.html

Brian Manzella
View Profile
View Forum Posts
Private Message
View Blog Entries
Visit Homepage
View Articles
Add as Contact

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Join Date Jul 2003
Location USA.
Posts 12,126
Blog Entries12
A couple of us--Finney & Hardesty--spent a day or so with Welch. I met him once.

He is NOT one of the guys that are on our team, so to speak.

The body part of our Project 1.68 is in its early stages.

What the golfer does to the club is our focus right now.

I would take Sasho paper seriously though

Last edited:

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
The quote by Dr. Rose in the article "over rotation is one of the leading causes of back injury" IMO, makes a good case for keeping the back to the target as long as possible.

The "out-toss" is only important in the longest of backswings.

If you learn to not tug, release in the plane of the right wrist bend/arch, put the radius in the ground, and "go normal," you are SLICK!

Brian, I'm dense this morning. Can you clarify "longest of the backswings"? Do you mean full swings and not, say, 3/4 knock-downs, etc.?

This is like getting a new toy, by the way! Hopefully I'll have some video using my new Casio soon.

footwedge

The quote by Dr. Rose in the article "over rotation is one of the leading causes of back injury" IMO, makes a good case for keeping the back to the target as long as possible.

I don't think that's what it means or that it relates to keeping your back to the target longer. You can only hold your back to the target for a fraction of a second at most if your intention is to eventually strike the ball, you have to rotate eventually, and that's when the problem can occur.

Could happen on the b.s. also. Backs are a funny thing until you hurt it.

Last edited:

jeffy

Banned
Jeffy,

I already reviewed the video; Brian posted it.

This is my first post. I've previously purchased NHA, Building Blocks, CFF and have taken a lesson with Michael Jacobs.
I want to say thank you to Brian for his dedication to getting the science right and having a teachable attitude as witnessed by his
ability to admit former errors.
I've tried the release the last couple of days and it works. I'm taking shallow divots or no divot and hitting the ball higher and a straighter.
Being a former flipper the CFF video helped me a great deal. I was able to make better contact but took big divots especially with wedges.
When I make the downswing with the new release it feels similar to the downswing I used to make when I was incorporating the downswing that Joe Dante wrote about in 4 magic moves. He advocated moving the hips laterally and because they were closed seemed to bring you away from the ball. I'm not saying it's the same move, only it feels similar

Hmm. Took my New Release to the range on Monday night - and hit the ball quite nicely. Definitely felt some benefit in the wedges. Full swings with middle and long irons were high and solid. Probably a higher than normal ballflight for me - which isn't a bad thing. Still I don't like to make snap judgements - good or bad. And tonight was perhaps the most spectacular bout of shanks and hosel rockets of my last 25 years. And I started out hitting some nice wedges too, before hitting probably 50 or 60 out of 80 balls right off the socket.

I learnt one thing tonight which I don't believe you'll ever get from Trackman. A friend on the range eventually took pity on me, approached (bravely risking contagion) and offered me some impact tape. My very first shot, and I swear this is true although I would not have believed it were possible, made TWO impact marks. One snug in the corner and the other at the opposite end of the face high on the toe. I nearly stopped there and then to get the evidence of my miracle shot framed for posterity.

I hit maybe another 40 balls with impact tape doing everything I could to hit the ball horribly off the toe. I think I managed to record maybe one shot beyond centre.

Nasty experience. Tonight I just know that I'm going to have nightmares about going round the course hitting every shot twice.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Hmm. Took my New Release to the range on Monday night - and hit the ball quite nicely. Definitely felt some benefit in the wedges. Full swings with middle and long irons were high and solid. Probably a higher than normal ballflight for me - which isn't a bad thing. Still I don't like to make snap judgements - good or bad. And tonight was perhaps the most spectacular bout of shanks and hosel rockets of my last 25 years. And I started out hitting some nice wedges too, before hitting probably 50 or 60 out of 80 balls right off the socket.

I learnt one thing tonight which I don't believe you'll ever get from Trackman. A friend on the range eventually took pity on me, approached (bravely risking contagion) and offered me some impact tape. My very first shot, and I swear this is true although I would not have believed it were possible, made TWO impact marks. One snug in the corner and the other at the opposite end of the face high on the toe. I nearly stopped there and then to get the evidence of my miracle shot framed for posterity.

I hit maybe another 40 balls with impact tape doing everything I could to hit the ball horribly off the toe. I think I managed to record maybe one shot beyond centre.

Nasty experience. Tonight I just know that I'm going to have nightmares about going round the course hitting every shot twice.

Sorry for the trouble.

But, it is obvious that you were using some "get on top of it" move with your upper body to help square the clubface previously, and now you are "under it."

What I would have you try is to do your "out-toss" with the face and left arm turning more downward and get you left arm to "replace" itself better.

If you need me to do a little video shooing you, just ask.

Thanks Brian. No need to apologise - as I really put this down to "trying something new" and being a bit out of whack. Not blaming the pattern - and if I was left to my own devices I'd probably just lie low for a few days, hope that it's out of my system and crawl back to the range in a couple weeks with a nervous stomach...

I think I get what you're saying in your post. Can I come back if I don't get it on the range? I'm not sure that I want you to have to shoot a "How not to shank it using Thoughts on the Release V1.0" video...though I certainly appreciate the offer.

I would ask though...I assumed all those shanks were hosel-leading, open-face jobs. But when I switched to a hybrid and then a 3 wood I was hitting consistently BAD pull-hooks. Is that just a case of a really bad heel strike turning the face over at impact, or could I have been hitting closed-face shanks with the irons?

Brian Manzella

Administrator
You suddenly started hitting bad pull-hooks after removing the hosel because everyone that shanks and can play a lick starts swinging dead-left.

Is it the correct “intention” to make the “feel” of the “throw out” and the “slap shot” torque on the CP as one, continuous motion at the very start of the downswing?

Sorry for the trouble.

But, it is obvious that you were using some "get on top of it" move with your upper body to help square the clubface previously, and now you are "under it."

What I would have you try is to do your "out-toss" with the face and left arm turning more downward and get you left arm to "replace" itself better.

If you need me to do a little video shooing you, just ask.

Please do. These signs and symptoms are awfully familiar...

Status
Not open for further replies.