Ideas about The Release - a video by Brian Manzella (comments/reviews)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you understand what I said....????

David is OPEN OPEN at impact, he lines up later.

Ok, if that is the point I want to be open open and line up later rather than earlier!

When you say open, what is open, are you talking about hips, shoulders, clubface....everything?

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Not sure why it didn't work for you. The link is New Project 40 - YouTube

I shall be much obliged for any insights you can provide. So flatfooted!

If you weren't as flat footed as you are you'd never be able to get the club back on top of the ball as well as you do. You're swing is the whole being better than the sum of its parts. Take that as a compliment. What is your ballflight?

Thanks, Matt, I'll try that. Not getting any easier at 53.
Socalesq. What a gorgeous golf swing. It would be very hard to pick faults in that unless, as Kevin Shields states, you have a nagging, recurring ball flight you don't like.
BTW. You're 53? Swinging as good as that you must be the Benjamin Button of golf. Very impressive indeed

Generally, pretty straight ball flight, or a very slight draw, average height. My errors under pressure tend to be lefts. Never slice, although I'll hit the occasional open face push fade. I've been trying very hard for years (literally) to stop my right elbow and butt of the club from dropping back behind me at the start of the swing (with a correspondingly steeper shaft) and getting stuck. But I just can't seem to get the right elbow to lead (most good players I look at from face-on you can see the right elbow below the left forearm well into the downswing - mine, never) and the shaft to lay back. I'm a lefty playing righty.

I now a few good players are flat-footed at impact, but very very few. I want to at least vaguely approach looking like the better players do at impact with their legs and upper body. Plus, a bit more pop would be nice. I just measured my swing with the Swing Speed Radar and averaged about 105 with the driver, which I understand equates to about 95 on Trackman. Love to get it over 100 on Trackman. I hit my 7 iron 150 consistently, would like to be at 160.

Many thanks.

Thanks, Oliver. Nice of you to say, especially because when I look at my swing I get a little sick to my stomach! Maybe I'm too obsessed with trying to make it look like the pro's. But I just can't stand the "stand up flat-footed" look at impact.

I just measured my swing with the Swing Speed Radar and averaged about 105 with the driver, which I understand equates to about 95 on Trackman. Love to get it over 100 on Trackman. I hit my 7 iron 150 consistently, would like to be at 160.
It's probably closer to 100 on Trackman. I honestly can't get the speeds to vary between the two more than a couple mph for my particular swing style. Do you know how far you fly the ball with driver? 240-250?

Lee Trevino always said not to try to copy a tour player's swing. Your fingerprint is your fingerprint.

Last edited:
Lee Trevino always said not to try to copy a tour player's swing. Your fingerprint is your fingerprint.

Agree. The great thing about what is being done here is that the club is being measured...what it should be doing in each phase of the downswing. What the body does should support the club in making those moves; what the body does to achieve it is secondary, and probably unique to your body type.

I'm now seeing a lot more in why people swing the way they do - someone with a larger upper chest for example has a different problem to deal with than someone really thin and wiry, but both support the goal of reducing tug early in the downswing (in different ways). The club doesn't know, and nor does the ball..

And I think if you want more speed it's a case of doing more of the moves Brian has described...if you go more normal you'll probably see more speed, but of course if you *just* go more normal at impact you'll top / thin the ball. You'd need to squat down more (aka get the club in the ground more, so you can yank it out more later).

I doubt it is any coincidence that Dustin Johnson can apparently dunk a basketball easy (read: good jump) and can hit the ball far. I also see a larger squat/jump type move in Camilo Villegas, who seems to lose height in the backswing, and then again in the early downswing, before getting taller around impact. And, of course, Tiger Woods, especially when he is trying to lash it.

Everyone probably has a ceiling based on the ability to actually perform these moves in the short time the downswing occurs.

And slightly off topic...I'm not entirely sure why some people would promote a squat/jump type move based on what tour players do, but dispute going normal? Whats the point of storing power like that and not using (releasing) it..?

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I agree. When some people just go right to the "normal" part of the swing it feels flippy, etc. it's probably because a lot of the prep hasn't been down yet.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Generally, pretty straight ball flight, or a very slight draw, average height. My errors under pressure tend to be lefts. Never slice, although I'll hit the occasional open face push fade. I've been trying very hard for years (literally) to stop my right elbow and butt of the club from dropping back behind me at the start of the swing (with a correspondingly steeper shaft) and getting stuck. But I just can't seem to get the right elbow to lead (most good players I look at from face-on you can see the right elbow below the left forearm well into the downswing - mine, never) and the shaft to lay back. I'm a lefty playing righty.

I now a few good players are flat-footed at impact, but very very few. I want to at least vaguely approach looking like the better players do at impact with their legs and upper body. Plus, a bit more pop would be nice. I just measured my swing with the Swing Speed Radar and averaged about 105 with the driver, which I understand equates to about 95 on Trackman. Love to get it over 100 on Trackman. I hit my 7 iron 150 consistently, would like to be at 160.

Many thanks.

SoCal, with your swing, if the right elbow lead any in the DS, you'd never play again. You do a great job of steepening the clubhead in the transition and getting on top of it. Both looks you covet (up off your feet and pitch right elbow) would require you to change your entire swing.....and no guarantee for the better. I always ask myself when chasing a look....if I know what I'm trying to look like and still don't after trying, why is that?

SoCal, with your swing, if the right elbow lead any in the DS, you'd never play again. You do a great job of steepening the clubhead in the transition and getting on top of it. Both looks you covet (up off your feet and pitch right elbow) would require you to change your entire swing.....and no guarantee for the better. I always ask myself when chasing a look....if I know what I'm trying to look like and still don't after trying, why is that?
Wise words indeed. Socal, I don't hit the ball too badly, but my right knee practically ploughs through my nostrils coming into impact; I'd love to look a little more like YOU at that point in the swing. It's all relative.
The only errors you mention occurring happen under pressure, and that's nothing to do with an unpitched right elbow/flatfootedness, it's cos you're human.
I'd love to know how many guys walk behind you at the range and say "Geez, I'd give my right arm to look like him..." Very many...trust me.

Let's also not forget about the monetary implications of a real pretty swing. You can't make money if nobody wants to bet. You’re border line scaring away the customers as it is.

66er

New
Hi guys probably a stupid question but had an accident ruling me out of golf for 6 week so have really been analysing this video so I would have a clear idea what to do on my return not that its unclear just misunderstood stupidly by myself. Just a feel question, for the line up I know both wrist should flex and extend to arched but for me when I conciously concentrate on either wrist individually although obviously both flex and extend the feels are very different. Concentrating on the right wrist feels correct to me and the left odd no idea why though. Could someone clear this up if possible to do so.

It's probably closer to 100 on Trackman. I honestly can't get the speeds to vary between the two more than a couple mph for my particular swing style. Do you know how far you fly the ball with driver? 240-250?

If I hit one really solid I fly it about 240 with a range ball. There's a 250 flag at the range that is my goal -- never have flown it. I'm not trying to copy a particular pro's swing, but just trying to approach the look that 95% of the pro's have at impact -- slightly bent right elbow, right knee kicked in, right heel slightly off the ground, long left side, head back and down. The fact that I'm nowhere close to that and can't seem to get there tells me I have a big swing flaw.

Status
Not open for further replies.