"I'll tumble for ya"

Status
Not open for further replies.
My point of posting up a vid of Floyd was to show you don't have to do it like Price, Faldo, Sergio or Fowler in the backswing (steep to laid off). As long as you can get it laid off early enough before starting down it doesn't matter.

I'll Never forget that 66 in 86 at Shinnecock, nobody else under-- just flat out golfed his ball...all that funky move ever got him was 20 tour wins, 4 of em majors!!! Often forgotten fact too he played with Venturi the final 36 in 64 at Congressional when Kenny won almost in a coma!

Erik_K

New
Kevin -

Why is it so desirable to lay the shaft off during the transition? I've read about this before and I've always found it to be rather hard to implement in my own swing.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Kevin -

Why is it so desirable to lay the shaft off during the transition? I've read about this before and I've always found it to be rather hard to implement in my own swing.

The laying down of the shaft gives you something (club head) to throw out to the ball. Otherwise, your hands or entire body move out to the ball. Pulls and weak slices ensue.

So how does this relate to across the line swings? What needs to be done to make it work? Doesn't the laying down the shaft happen a little more gradually? Whenever I try to lay it off at transition I feel like I loose track of the clubhead and panic and yank it down from the top.

I like Lindsey's idea for this thread to show other ways to make the tumble happen. I think we've seen pretty exaustive examples of the Sergio/Fowler/Hogan type model, and I'm not interested in chasing that look because I don't think it'll ever happen. It'd be nice to see discussed how tumbling relates to other swing models.

So how does this relate to across the line swings? What needs to be done to make it work? Doesn't the laying down the shaft happen a little more gradually? Whenever I try to lay it off at transition I feel like I loose track of the clubhead and panic and yank it down from the top.

I like Lindsey's idea for this thread to show other ways to make the tumble happen. I think we've seen pretty exaustive examples of the Sergio/Fowler/Hogan type model, and I'm not interested in chasing that look because I don't think it'll ever happen. It'd be nice to see discussed how tumbling relates to other swing models.

A couple thoughts come to mind as I am also usually across the line at the top.

First, I asked for the measurements of right wrist extension from Michael Jacobs throughout the swing. You can also see this commonly in the videos, the right wrist extends(bends back) more at transition--especially with those who reverse tumble more.

Second, if you are across the line the reverse tumble happens later in the transition, more into the downswing. And as Kevin has pointed out it takes longer, so the golfer can't rush through it or else you end up with what he mentioned above.

I'm sure there are some others things to do to make it work with across the line, some I am working on just not sure they are for everyone.

Ah, well the difference is Ray Lewis was aquitted by a jury of his peers, and Roethlisberger settled out of court.

Not quite.

"A judge Monday approved a deal allowing Baltimore Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis to avoid murder charges and jail time by pleading guilty to a misdemeanor and testifying against two co-defendants."

Is that where the "Ratbird" moniker came from? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.