Interesting question....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Being from Georgia, I have to ask a question. What makes hockey so expensive? Seems similar to football to me, equipment wise and all you need is some ice, ice skates, stick and puck.

Most states and state high school associations (i don't know how many) consider hockey as a "club" and not a "sport." Thus since it's a "club" that means the school basically provides NOTHING to cost for rink time for both games/practices and just about anything else you can think of. This means you need an awful lot of money or you need to have a whole lot of fundraisers.

Here's another view Kevin...rough estimates have 50 million or so in the world playing golf, and by your estimates 1000 making a living at it. I think that .002% unless my math is weird...not sure what that means other than its not a good career choice to want to play golf for a living....

Another factor which occurred to me is the amount of knowledge required in golf (assuming you are no just one of those mega mega talented folks) as compared with other sports which are more dependent on physical prowess and instinct.

I'm pretty sure loads of golf guys could make that famous claim "if I had know then what I know now I'd have made it on tour".

I've been watching a lot of what you guys call soccer lately, and believe me there are guys playing at the top level (English Premiership) who are bordering on incompetent. They are incredibly fit and fast though, that's why they made it.

if you don't get in with one of the big soccer clubs before you're 14 you can forget it. And that is dependent of some know fek all low level tw@t regarding you as talented. Once you're in, you've a great chance of making it.

...and that's why I don't expect England's football team to win a world cup in my lifetime. Plenty of fitness and speed... but no brains.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Another factor which occurred to me is the amount of knowledge required in golf (assuming you are no just one of those mega mega talented folks) as compared with other sports which are more dependent on physical prowess and instinct.

I'm pretty sure loads of golf guys could make that famous claim "if I had know then what I know now I'd have made it on tour".

I've been watching a lot of what you guys call soccer lately, and believe me there are guys playing at the top level (English Premiership) who are bordering on incompetent. They are incredibly fit and fast though, that's why they made it.

I like this post a lot. The other sports will always take a chance on speed and power

Along those same lines, Kevin, I've heard some Division 1 golf coaches using Trackman ball speed as a determining factor in recruitment.

It's like saying if you have speed, I can teach you the rest.

Glad that wasn't a determining factor when I was recruited...

Thoughts?

That's like looking at 40 times at the combine. If that's all you go by then your football team will be full of track stars, not football players.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
Along those same lines, Kevin, I've heard some Division 1 golf coaches using Trackman ball speed as a determining factor in recruitment.

Thoughts?

That type of apathy is why most college golf coaches are not very good. Ball Speed? Good grief.

I have lots of gripes with college coaching and recruitment in general but dismissing a kid because of one factor in a sport like golf is silly. This is why you will see people from nowhere win big events. Too many are getting dismissed for something that, while important, does not a complete golfer make.

For instance, you have Player A and Player B. Player A has 157 ball speed, tour(ish) short game and can putt the lights out. Player B has 173 ball speed, decent short game and is passable with the putter. A gives B 2 shots a side. Yet Big State U signs B. This type of madness happens all the time.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator

Thoughts?

Shouldn't be a determining factor but should be a heavily weighted one...the reality is if you don't have a minimum of i'd say 110-112mph you really are going uphill and have to be great everywhere else.

Now don't go running to the PGA stats page and start listing allllllllllllll the big time players with less than 110mph; i know they're there andi can name a few off my head but swingspeed/ballspeed matters and is an advantage.

jimmyt

New
That type of apathy is why most college golf coaches are not very good. Ball Speed? Good grief.

I have lots of gripes with college coaching and recruitment in general but dismissing a kid because of one factor in a sport like golf is silly. This is why you will see people from nowhere win big events. Too many are getting dismissed for something that, while important, does not a complete golfer make.

For instance, you have Player A and Player B. Player A has 157 ball speed, tour(ish) short game and can putt the lights out. Player B has 173 ball speed, decent short game and is passable with the putter. A gives B 2 shots a side. Yet Big State U signs B. This type of madness happens all the time.

Truer words were never spoken..........

You can find examples of this through all sports in college. Happens a lot in baseball for sure......if you don't have the protype physic for pitching, longevity, etc.

Shouldn't be a determining factor but should be a heavily weighted one...the reality is if you don't have a minimum of i'd say 110-112mph you really are going uphill and have to be great everywhere else.

Now don't go running to the PGA stats page and start listing allllllllllllll the big time players with less than 110mph; i know they're there andi can name a few off my head but swingspeed/ballspeed matters and is an advantage.

So is clubhead speed less trainable than accuracy, or short game? I don't know myself - but interested in views.

I think your top end speed is determined by genetics, along with how early you started playing stick or racket sports. But I bet that most people can train to increase their speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.