Interesting question....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
So is clubhead speed less trainable than accuracy, or short game? I don't know myself - but interested in views.

If anyone truly knew, i mean REALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLY knew how to increase swing speed a lot for anyone (outside some strength/flexibility and technique) they'd be many times over a millionaire and we'd all be hitting it relatively the same distance.

It's almost like why can some guy throw a baseball 100mph and some other guy same height/strength/flexibility can only throw 80mph? Seems like genetics to me.

It's almost like why can some guy throw a baseball 100mph and some other guy same height/strength/flexibility can only throw 80mph? Seems like genetics to me.

Technique aside, power and speed in athletics equates to:
The amount of or the ability to recruit an increased amount of motor neurons affecting differing amounts of muscle bundles--ie. "slow-twich"=about 100 muscle bundles recruited per neuron. "fast-twitch"=varies from 1000's to 10,000's muscle bundles recruited per neuron. Basically how a person is built.

Genetics.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Technique aside, power and speed in athletics equates to:
The amount of or the ability to recruit an increased amount of motor neurons affecting differing amounts of muscle bundles--ie. "slow-twich"=about 100 muscle bundles recruited per neuron. "fast-twitch"=varies from 1000's to 10,000's muscle bundles recruited per neuron. Basically how a person is built.

Genetics.

Thus once we discover how to properly modify genetic code (with gene therapy i'm guessing?) then we can all hit it 300 yards in the air :D

I'm sure genetics does play a part in ultimate clubhead speed. Hard to imagine someone making their way in longdrive without a healthy genetic inheritance - but what about the sort of speed needed to score and be competitive on the course?

In a way, I'd be more shocked than not if a young college student with enough talent for the game to be scoring well couldn't get their clubhead speed into the region of 110 after a diet of conditioning and speed-specific/golf-specific training.

ZAP

New
The genetics argument is true but I still say the fast can get faster with training and the slow can get less slow. I would also say that the pool of people with the physical tools to play professional golf is bigger than the pool of people with the physical tools to play most other professional sports.

joep

New
Someone mentioned that its how a person is built that makes the person swing faster to hit it long. I firmly beleive that . From my softball days all the guys I know that were homerun "long" hitters are also nowdays hitting it long in golf and the guys that werent long hitters now are the same in golf short hitters . There has to be something to it,dont you think???

The genetics argument is true but I still say the fast can get faster with training and the slow can get less slow. I would also say that the pool of people with the physical tools to play professional golf is bigger than the pool of people with the physical tools to play most other professional sports.

I agree completely with the last part, but if players can get truly a lot longer, I just have never seen it. In all my years, players who are long are long. I don't know the biomechanics, just my observations.

I agree completely with the last part, but if players can get truly a lot longer, I just have never seen it. In all my years, players who are long are long. I don't know the biomechanics, just my observations.

Never? Really?

Another qualification. Once launch and impact conditions have been maximized one does not tend to get much longer. OR...ones club head Speed tends to remain fairly constant. :).

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Another qualification. Once launch and impact conditions have been maximized one does not tend to get much longer. OR...ones club head Speed tends to remain fairly constant. :).

And driver, spin and launch. Trying like he'll to squeeze out a few more mphs, but may be maxed out.

Status
Not open for further replies.