Is Augusta—set up for The Masters—a good test of golf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Who said European Tour courses are harder. I would buy better greens and better weather, but tougher courses? I'd like to see a quote from a player on that. Any opinion of someone who hasn't been on a Tour course can't be taken seriously. Your average amateur would score waaaaaay higher on a Tour setup. The possible exception being that odd stupid pin placement we all get that the Tour never gets. They trade that for 3 paces off the fringe.

OK...please a link to these facts; moreover, please a link to, at least, 10 years of comparison. I assume that this would be real facts.

Cheers

Go to the Euro Tour site and the US Tour site, then look up the winning scores per event per year. That's why I only did one year's worth, but I was interested in the results. This year so far is right in line with last years.

Mgranatao, did you check the Euro Tour event average for events that actually take place in Europe!? Lots of events in the desert, in Africa and in Asia! These are (I think) normally very low scoring.

Stuff like the Madeira Open, Open de Portugal can also be birdie fests.

But places like Wentworth and Valderrama are proper tests, and the Open venue normally is too.

I think the new Scottish Open venue is promising too. They have played the Irish Open at Killarney (poor course by all accounts) but are moving it to Portrush. Get your money on the low ball hitters that week.....

Similar to the US, there is a mixture of really poor courses and some excellent ones.

Dariusz J.

I was not precise enough and apologize for it. I meant (as Brendan said) European Tour European courses. Not some outside-Europe ones. I believe Mike counted all courses which was OK since I was imprecise. But in view of Kevin's (and previous Nitro's) arguments that noone except playing pros can have a valid opinion -- i will not going further with discussion because it is pointless in vew of it.

FYI, here is one of the prominent European golfer (a major winner) saying in-line with my opinions about one of the European European Tour courses:

“The Tour came over and they wanted somebody’s opinion for the golf course and I’m at home at the moment,” the 14 time European Tour winner told BBC Northern Ireland. “They wanted somebody that plays the course all the time to show them where all the shortcuts are; out on Tour we try and cut corners whenever we can and so they’re making sure they grow the rough in areas that they need to.

“I want it to be set up to play fair, where you get rewarded for hitting fairways. That’s what links golf is all about. The golf course itself doesn’t need much tweaking - it just needs thick rough in a few areas where the guys take things on. If they succeed, well and good, but if they get it wrong they’re going to struggle to hit the greens from those places.”

Cheers

If I could pick a course to play the rest of my golf on or watch the rest of my golf on, I would want it to test these areas in this order...

1. Putting
2. Distance
3. Recovery/wedge play
4. Accuracy into the green
5. Strategy
6. Accuracy off the tee

I can think of one course 2-1/2 hours East of me that fits this description pretty well, and a couple off the Southern coast of Oregon.

Funny, because I would shift the order of your list for my own preferences, but still include a couple of those same Bandon Dunes tracks. That's probably a testament to good course design.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
It was a joke ParHunter. We in America are often ridiculed for not thinking life exists outside our borders. Mike was playing on that and you bought it!, lock stock and two smoking barrells.

Last edited:
It was a joke ParHunter. We in America are often ridiculed for not thinking life exists outside our borders. Mike was playing on that and you bought it!, lock stock and two smoking barrells.

Let the Guy Ritchie quote-fest begin again...

You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Great, now I've got images of 70's eastern block female power lifters going through my head. #ROUGHLOVE
Ah, those were the days, were they not, Mike? It's interesting; all those steroid-crunching nutcrackers were instantly transformed into magnificently lithe, tennis-playing beauties the moment the Berlin Wall fell.....Wish there was a wobbly wall in the UK...:(

Dariusz J.

Where's Dariusz?

I can only assume he is ROFL!

I am here all the time waiting as somebody will comment what one Tour player said about a desired setup I quoted in my last post. Is a major winner enough good for you ? Also waiting for answering my questions from previous posts.

And yes, I am ROFL because, as usually, there's a silence or changing subject for silly ones when continuing is not convenient for overall trend. Typical here, I suppose.

Cheers

I was not precise enough and apologize for it. I meant (as Brendan said) European Tour European courses. Not some outside-Europe ones. I believe Mike counted all courses which was OK since I was imprecise. But in view of Kevin's (and previous Nitro's) arguments that noone except playing pros can have a valid opinion -- i will not going further with discussion because it is pointless in vew of it.

FYI, here is one of the prominent European golfer (a major winner) saying in-line with my opinions about one of the European European Tour courses:

“The Tour came over and they wanted somebody’s opinion for the golf course and I’m at home at the moment,” the 14 time European Tour winner told BBC Northern Ireland. “They wanted somebody that plays the course all the time to show them where all the shortcuts are; out on Tour we try and cut corners whenever we can and so they’re making sure they grow the rough in areas that they need to.

“I want it to be set up to play fair, where you get rewarded for hitting fairways. That’s what links golf is all about. The golf course itself doesn’t need much tweaking - it just needs thick rough in a few areas where the guys take things on. If they succeed, well and good, but if they get it wrong they’re going to struggle to hit the greens from those places.”

Cheers

Hang on a second, Dariusz. Who's that you're quoting? It couldn't be..., nah, you wouldn't...., I mean...

Who cares about Darren Clarke ? Who the hell are they with their mediocre skills comparing to e.g. Trevino and his skills ?

Cheers

Dariusz J.

Hang on a second, Dariusz. Who's that you're quoting? It couldn't be..., nah, you wouldn't...., I mean...

How unforgiving you are, Birly...ROFL.

My answer is -- he was nobody important TO ME while comparing to great ballstrikers such as Trevino (as lots of today's pros BTW), but surely he (and his opinion) must be very important TO MANY PEOPLE ON THIS FORUM as not only Tour player, but also a major winner judging on some responses directed to me.

If my explanation is sufficient do not change the subject again, please.

Cheers

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.