Jamie S. 6 dof-3d

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear mgranato,

First, I had/have NO subtle motives, the list should have contained launch monitors and high speed cameras, but I thought "etc." would be good enough on this site.

My comments about your list weren't directed at you. In fact, I think you nailed the list pretty good.

Regarding your comment about a 'mission statement', looks like I have not been clear, or you are significantly misunderstanding and misinterpreting what I wrote above, so let me try again.

For almost 6 years now, I have been working hard to get MULTIPLE people/organizations to better 'integrate' the sensors, study and document a better understanding of the various technical and scientific characteristics of the golf swing.

I admit that with regard to MULTIPLE research groups, I am very influenced by my years in industry where I saw the role and importance of "Independent Validation and Verification" grow and get deployed especially with regard to software, but equally important for all the aspects of research and development of mechanical systems too.

So, my comments above certainly were meant to emphasize the need for INDEPENDENCE, and additional groups to be studying this very complex area so we all can benefit.

If it remains only 'one group', IMO progress and especially ACCEPTANCE will be slower. However, I am very pleased with the progress of all participants over the last few months, but not comfortable with the politics and apparent motives of some.

At any rate my frequent telephone and internet communication with the folks on this site has been very beneficial to my own personal passion to find 'golf truth'.

Sincerely,
art

The rest of my comments highlight the way in which guys like yourself are summarily, rudely, and consistently dismissed by the "other group". And not for any other reason than you do not subscribe to a concocted notion of swinging a golf club born from the parallax of consumer grade video.

No seriously, where does this leave the Kelvin and Rick Malm analyses?

Has anyone even confirmed the existence of a "Rick Malm?"
Untitled2_zpsba40138e.jpg

Blown up and still talking smack. Typical. They must be so right with their "math." Maybe the problem is they pointed their math in the wrong direction.

Correction. That analysis was not done by art but by the micro-man himself. So credit to him for having the nuts to prove himself wrong and admit it. He also withdrew his accusation of fraud (under duress?) and apologized to Cheetham and AMM3D but not, of course, to BM, MF, or MJ.

So can we move on now and leave the barking dogs behind?

Correction. That analysis was not done by art but by the micro-man himself. So credit to him for having the nuts to prove himself wrong and admit it. He also withdrew his accusation of fraud (under duress?) and apologized to Cheetham and AMM3D but not, of course, to BM, MF, or MJ.

So can we move on now and leave the barking dogs behind?

He's still talking smack, but I still want the video with Brian and Mike Jacobs. I say start charging. If people want to twist this work at least make them pay (we know they'll twist it).

Trust me folks, el Jeffe won't be so sloppy with the Tman findings. This will motivate him like never before. Pride is a dangerous condition.

natep

New
Trust me folks, el Jeffe won't be so sloppy with the Tman findings. This will motivate him like never before. Pride is a dangerous condition.

I'm not so sure.

Seems like he gets blown up once a week these days, and keeps coming back for more like nothing ever happened.

art

New
Oh yeah! I just visited the "other" site to see what all the noise was about. Art did some clever stuff with the pelvis displacement graph that allowed him to differentiate the data and get an angular velocity curve. That curve was very similar to the pelvis curve on the rotational (kinematic sequence) graph. He did this also for the torso data with the same result. With this analysis there was basically no place to hide. Deceleration was obvious (unless Art made an error in the calculus or simply made the data up).

What you see in the above quote is micro-man's feeble response to Art's work. Cornered, at last.

BTW Art: I know it is difficult but could you differentiate the velocity to derive an acceleration curve? And, probably even more difficult, find the exact time that acceleration in the downswing is zero (or send me your data I can give it a shot)?

Thanks,

Drew

Dear Drew,

Thanks for your replies on this thread and also the PM. I am using this post to openly answer your questions, and thank you for the 'undeserved, but appreciated credit' of a valid and very worthwhile analysis that I hope will stop or at least 'clean up' a very lengthy and IMO at times, unnecessarily deceptive and demeaning (but finally, productive) exchange.

First answers to your questions. (1) Yes you can differentiate the (angular) velocity to derive an (angular) acceleration curve, and THIS WAS DONE AND PRESENTED on the other site, but see below for the problems that result regarding acceleration. (2) The best way to determine the 'exact' time the acceleration is zero, is simply to LOOK at the AMM 3D 6DOF angular velocity graph to see where a 'tangent' to the time axis occurs, and then read the 'exact' time from the data display just below the graph. To go thru the tedious task of calculating slopes as discussed below, will IMO result in a less accurate determination.

On the positive side, the work presented on the other site utilized INDEPENDENT thinking and analytical tools to arrive at an almost identical conclusion. In my world, a very productive independent validation and verification (IV&V) process for at least some of the giant problems of kinematic sequencing we all are trying to understand better, and even to me a bit of potential, and necessary humor.

This (possibly infantile) humor is the fact that if needed, the next 'differentiation', that of acceleration, is defined in physics and scientific terms as 'JERK'. The interpretation and use of this insignificant fact will be left to you the readers, but to me, in internet terms, I just LOL every time I read these posts and think of what potential humor the use of the 'next' differential of angular acceleration could bring.

Finally as to the details of your questions Drew, IMO, using the raw 'angular position' data output of the AMM 3D, 6DOF to arithmetically calculate 'instantaneous' slopes between data points AS WAS DONE to get an angular velocity curve is fine. To do it again though, to get instantaneous slope values of the angular velocity calculations and plot them as angular acceleration AS WAS ALSO DONE while scientifically 'precise', is actually NOT ACCURATE because of initial measurement and data processing 'noise' that then inappropriately gets amplified in the subsequent arithmetic processes.

This is where filtering plays a major role in better presenting a picture that is more realistic, and IMO, in this case, the earlier the filtering process, the more realistic the results.

BUT IN THE END, JUST LET THE AMM/TPI 3D 6DOF do the work for best accuracy, and lets get on with letting the 'teacher' use the data to help students improve, and let the 'scientists' continue to analyze WHY the data are so different from swing to swing, and player to player.

Sincerely,
art

Brian Manzella

Administrator
<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/57574107" width="820" height="615" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

Dear Drew,

Thanks for your replies on this thread and also the PM. I am using this post to openly answer your questions, and thank you for the 'undeserved, but appreciated credit' of a valid and very worthwhile analysis that I hope will stop or at least 'clean up' a very lengthy and IMO at times, unnecessarily deceptive and demeaning (but finally, productive) exchange.

First answers to your questions. (1) Yes you can differentiate the (angular) velocity to derive an (angular) acceleration curve, and THIS WAS DONE AND PRESENTED on the other site, but see below for the problems that result regarding acceleration. (2) The best way to determine the 'exact' time the acceleration is zero, is simply to LOOK at the AMM 3D 6DOF angular velocity graph to see where a 'tangent' to the time axis occurs, and then read the 'exact' time from the data display just below the graph. To go thru the tedious task of calculating slopes as discussed below, will IMO result in a less accurate determination.

On the positive side, the work presented on the other site utilized INDEPENDENT thinking and analytical tools to arrive at an almost identical conclusion. In my world, a very productive independent validation and verification (IV&V) process for at least some of the giant problems of kinematic sequencing we all are trying to understand better, and even to me a bit of potential, and necessary humor.

This (possibly infantile) humor is the fact that if needed, the next 'differentiation', that of acceleration, is defined in physics and scientific terms as 'JERK'. The interpretation and use of this insignificant fact will be left to you the readers, but to me, in internet terms, I just LOL every time I read these posts and think of what potential humor the use of the 'next' differential of angular acceleration could bring.

Finally as to the details of your questions Drew, IMO, using the raw 'angular position' data output of the AMM 3D, 6DOF to arithmetically calculate 'instantaneous' slopes between data points AS WAS DONE to get an angular velocity curve is fine. To do it again though, to get instantaneous slope values of the angular velocity calculations and plot them as angular acceleration AS WAS ALSO DONE while scientifically 'precise', is actually NOT ACCURATE because of initial measurement and data processing 'noise' that then inappropriately gets amplified in the subsequent arithmetic processes.

This is where filtering plays a major role in better presenting a picture that is more realistic, and IMO, in this case, the earlier the filtering process, the more realistic the results.

BUT IN THE END, JUST LET THE AMM/TPI 3D 6DOF do the work for best accuracy, and lets get on with letting the 'teacher' use the data to help students improve, and let the 'scientists' continue to analyze WHY the data are so different from swing to swing, and player to player.

Sincerely,
art

Thank you art for this. As an amateur dynamicist this subject interests me a lot and I have many questions but I will take these up with you via PM.

Drew

What "feel(s)" should I use?

Two days ago, I asked the following question:

Even if it's true that Sadlowski decelerates his hips at some point prior to impact, is that an insight that can help me personally? Should I intentionally try to slow down my hips? What "feel(s)" should I use?

Did Brian provide answers to these questions in the video above? It would be nice if someone could provide a quick summary so I don't have to sit through the entire 33 minutes and try to pick the answers out.

Status
Not open for further replies.