Kevin Shields teeing it up on the Nationwide Tour today

Status
Not open for further replies.
This might sound silly....but keeping up with Kevin playing in the Mylan Classic was one of my tournament highlights this year. It's more fun if you feel like you have a horse in the race.

Congrats Kevin....and thanks for the great run.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Excellent showing Kevin, you played well.

Anything else that you could share about your experience would be appreciated.

Hmmm...hard to say. One things for sure, when you play in front of as many people as I did the last few days, its virtually impossible to look ahead. You stay in the moment much better. Playing at that level is as much about being able to deal with other things as it is physical ability (one of the many reasons why "I wonder why that guy didnt make it?). You dont have time to pout, there's too much else going on.

My body could not handle the rigors of this 30 weeks a year. That is a fact.

However, on a side note, Ive basically played a cut down the left side my entire life. This time is said 'screw it' and decided to learn a draw the week before because you just cant compete at this course playing a cut. Rocco looked like he was getting aroused on every tee box because even the damn par 3s favor a draw. So i was able to work on a bit rounder path and more retained hip slide which helped me challenge the left side of the course and take advantage of the slopes. So I would like a few weeks of constant play and practice to see what I could do with this flight.

Give these guys good greens and they sure can putt.

Drivers can be pretty wayward but the iron play is awesome.

There should be way more threads around here about requests for short game help:)

I couldnt beat Gary Christian 10 years ago and I still cant beat him.

Last edited:
Great insights Kevin.

And if you're saying that you basically shot straight 70s, made the cut and finished mid-pack with a ballflight that you'd only practiced for a week, then that's even more impressive.

I hope you had a ball, because you've done great.

This reinforces what my teacher in high school used to say. We can ALL hit good shots just like the best in the world but it's the number of good shots and the quality of our misses that separates good am's or teachers from the guys who make a living playing.

Great playing!

This reminds me of Richie3Jack's observation of the importance of the "danger zone" (175 to 225 yards or something like that). Absolutely applies to my game, no question about it.

<i>There should be way more threads around here about requests for short game help:)</i>

Amen. You know me and that I've wanted and needed to practice the short game. You've helped me a lot by adding a few shots to my arsenal, especially the 'cut chip'. I use it quite a bit.

Unfortunately, there's no place here in Pittsburgh to practice short game.. well, except for Nevillewood or Sewickley Heights and there's teeny issue called "I ain't got enough coin for that place".

I think the thing to appreciate about Kevin's play is that he did it for FOUR days. That is soooo rare for a club pro who plays almost exclusively one and two-day events. DC

Status
Not open for further replies.