Lag Pressure Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leek

New
All, this is Brian Manzella's place of business. It's for questions and discussion of Brian's teaching and the golf swing. Please leave agendas and personal disputes at the door.

Thank you,

Lee

Ringer,
I knew immediately from this surprising sudden change in your opinion that you had gone in despair to your buddies to get some ammunition, since it is clear that you have not much of a clue regarding scientific matters.

I stopped reading your post right there because you're obviously too wrapped up in your own narcisism to consider arguments carefully. Good day.

Ringer,
Excellent, that means that you will have a bit more time to refine your theory about the clubhead changing direction during impact interval. Can’t wait to see you posting about it in more detail. ;) Cheers.

That was a fun exchange to read. (honestly)

Anyhoo....I skimmed thru that....

We've been over this in the forum already (with mandrin at the helm).......and the general consensus....and the consensus from the knowledgeable above (Brian and co.) is......

.....that the only stressing of the shaft you have to worry about is so it "kicks" for added SPEED.

......i.e. the reason why a whippy fishing rod hurls the line out further than a rigid one.

This is separate from "adding mass to impact." (SPEED vs. "effective mass")

BTW I don't know the dude personally but I'm pretty sure Ringer isn't a "TGM fanboy/cultist."

lia41985

Didn't say he was, but he's desperately rehashing, as you said, a resolved debate in order to defend certain TGM dogma.

Leek

New
BTW I don't know the dude personally but I'm pretty sure Ringer isn't a "TGM fanboy/cultist."

I agree. Ringer is all over the net promoting. He is posts free videos to sell lessons (and sometimes I agree with his advice, sometimes I don't). Nothing wrong with that at all. I am sure he can teach lots of people a thing or two. In reading his posts on other boards, he is not an AI, or a TGM guy. That's fine too. This is not the TGM forum either.

I believe he is trying to learn and figure things out so he can become a better teacher.

Please note: To my knowledge, Ringer has never attempted to sell ANYTHING on Brian's site.

On the other hand, this is a place of business.

Ringer,
Excellent, that means that you will have a bit more time to refine your theory about the clubhead changing direction during impact interval. Can’t wait to see you posting about it in more detail. ;) Cheers.

Boy aren't you just a funny feller. hardee har har

We've been over this in the forum already (with mandrin at the helm).......and the general consensus....and the consensus from the knowledgeable above (Brian and co.) is......

.....that the only stressing of the shaft you have to worry about is so it "kicks" for added SPEED.

......i.e. the reason why a whippy fishing rod hurls the line out further than a rigid one.

Would you kindly point me in the direction OF THAT thread since no one else seems to be willing? There seems to be a greater affinity to put people down outside of their own little cult than to actually help people.

I agree. Ringer is all over the net promoting. He is posts free videos to sell lessons (and sometimes I agree with his advice, sometimes I don't). Nothing wrong with that at all. I am sure he can teach lots of people a thing or two. In reading his posts on other boards, he is not an AI, or a TGM guy. That's fine too. This is not the TGM forum either.

I believe he is trying to learn and figure things out so he can become a better teacher.

Please note: To my knowledge, Ringer has never attempted to sell ANYTHING on Brian's site.

On the other hand, this is a place of business.

Thank you Leek. You're right. I'm trying to be a better teacher and that starts with sharing my ideas. Perhaps somewhat promoting them so they can be challenged, but promoting an idea and not myself. I have a full time job so this is more about helping people and learning than my own self promotion.

I like what Brian teaches and that's why I"m here. There have been plenty of times we've bumped heads but I find his way of teaching interesting and informative.

I'm not a big fan of TGM. I think it has lots of useful information but information alone does not make a player better. It is good for intellectual conversations and hearty debate, but I get easily turned off when it becomes a arrogant pissing contest.

You'd do better to post this question in a separate thread. It'll get lost in this one. In the meantime, think of the different body parts as links in a chain. Each body part, from the ground up, passes it's energy to the next link in the chain as it slows down. The hips slow down, and pass their energy to the torso and shoulders, which slow down and pass their momentum to the arms, which slow down so that their momentum can be transferred to the clubhead.

Yes, I got the bit from prev thread about the sequencing, but have never had a clear explanation of HOW you can make it activate (deliberate input -wise)...

As this is the crux of the effectiveness of a golf swing, I think a concise clarification on procedural input to achieve the ideal conditions is required...:

birdie_man,

Nice to see that the exchange in this thread can still be fun for a veteran poster like you. Some like Leek like to see it meek but a spirited debate is indeed quite fun.

I don’t adhere to the idea that the shaft kicks forward for extra speed and don’t feel that the comparison with a whippy fishing rod is a valid one.

So with all due respect I beg to differ with the general consensus you have noticed to exist.

Leek

New
birdie_man,

Nice to see that the exchange in this thread can still be fun for a veteran poster like you. Some like Leek like to see it meek but a spirited debate is indeed quite fun.

I don’t adhere to the idea that the shaft kicks forward for extra speed and don’t feel that the comparison with a whippy fishing rod is a valid one.

So with all due respect I beg to differ with the general consensus you have noticed to exist.

Mandrin- I love a good debate. Not interested in personal attacks.

birdie_man,

Yikes.

You know what man(drin)......I was just re-reading what I wrote and now that I am out of "typing a message mode" (and into "reading and thinking mode") I was questinoing what the shaft kicking/speed thing myself.

Seems that's how it should work......I guess I just took it for granted.

Either way, I should be more careful....especially when I'm speaking for others.

Thanks.

BTW have u already been over that one in another thread? (shaft kick i.e. fishing rod)

Ringer....I believe the thread is called "A Helping Hand"? It may be good to do a search on threads started by mandrin because I'm not too sure myself. (maybe mandrin knows?...dunno) Also there is a thread called "ISRAD" from what I remember.

Last edited:
Yikes.

You know what man(drin)......I was just re-reading what I wrote and now that I am out of "typing a message mode" (and into "reading and thinking mode") I was questinoing what the shaft kicking/speed thing myself.

Seems that's how it should work......I guess I just took it for granted.

Either way, I should be more careful....especially when I'm speaking for others.

Thanks.

BTW have u already been over that one in another thread? (shaft kick i.e. fishing rod)

Ringer....I believe the thread is called "A Helping Hand"? It may be good to do a search on threads started by mandrin because I'm not too sure myself. (maybe mandrin knows?...dunno) Also there is a thread called "ISRAD" from what I remember.
birdie_man,

I don’t remember having posted comparing golf shaft and fishrods. But I probably will look at shaft issues somewhat more in detail before long. It is already a while ago that I developed the mathematics to cope with the flexing of a shaft but never really used it for posting.

There was once a great debate between a physicist and and an engineer about who is better. To settle it once and for all, someone suggested a test to proof it once and for all. The test encompasses dropping a live chicken from a tower and determining the time taken for the chicken to reach the ground.

The next day, the physicist presented his answer, taking into detailed consideration the feathers of the chicken, the drag of the feathers, the likely wind conditions, the likely number of times the chicken will flap its wings .. etc etc.

When the engineer presented his answer, he started it saying .. "Assume that the chicken is dead and has no feathers ..."

The moral of the story is that researchers of the golf swing are like the physicists, more concern about what is right. The golfer on the other hand is like the engineer, more concern about what works.

As for my personal take on the story and as an engineer myself, I won't debate physics with the physicist. ;-)

cheers,

daniel

From one chicken problem to another

There was once a great debate between a physicist and and an engineer about who is better. To settle it once and for all, someone suggested a test to proof it once and for all. The test encompasses dropping a live chicken from a tower and determining the time taken for the chicken to reach the ground.

The next day, the physicist presented his answer, taking into detailed consideration the feathers of the chicken, the drag of the feathers, the likely wind conditions, the likely number of times the chicken will flap its wings .. etc etc.

When the engineer presented his answer, he started it saying .. "Assume that the chicken is dead and has no feathers ..."

The moral of the story is that researchers of the golf swing are like the physicists, more concern about what is right. The golfer on the other hand is like the engineer, more concern about what works.

As for my personal take on the story and as an engineer myself, I won't debate physics with the physicist. ;-)

cheers,

daniel
daniell,

Your allusion to chickens reminds me that Ringer chickens out in this thread. He starts this thread informing us that he has done a lot of thinking about velocity and lag. :cool:

He further alludes to the importance of clubhead changing direction through impact and that he has come to a consensus discussing his ideas with a group of FAA engineers. :eek:

Now that we all are prepped and ready to see if we perhaps are being confronted with a chicken-and-egg problem he leaves us high and dry as headless chickens. :)

daniell,

Your allusion to chickens reminds me that Ringer chickens out in this thread. He starts this thread informing us that he has done a lot of thinking about velocity and lag. :cool:

He further alludes to the importance of clubhead changing direction through impact and that he has come to a consensus discussing his ideas with a group of FAA engineers. :eek:

Now that we all are prepped and ready to see if we perhaps are being confronted with a chicken-and-egg problem he leaves us high and dry as headless chickens. :)

You again have your facts all wrong Mandrin. I was the last person to post something of substance followed by your shallow and belittling remarks that had nothing to do with the discussion and more to do with your failure to make friends. Go back and read.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Blah! Blah! Blah!

Bad thread....

Ya'll miss the moderator.

Let's see if I have the questions correct?

1. Can the fact that the clubhead may be speeding up before impact, create a less decelerated clubhead by the time of separation?

2. Does the clubhead pick up speed from the shaft's bending and subsequent unbending?

Mandrin...you go first.

You again have your facts all wrong Mandrin. I was the last person to post something of substance followed by your shallow and belittling remarks that had nothing to do with the discussion and more to do with your failure to make friends. Go back and read.
Ringer,

I keep asking for you to explain tu us your theory about ‘clubhead changing direction through impact’. I am all too willing to discuss but there has to be some sustance on the table, not just chicken meat but real juicy beef. :)

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Whew!

I'll try again...

Bad thread....

Ya'll miss the moderator.

Let's see if I have the questions correct?

1. Can the fact that the clubhead may be speeding up before impact, create a less decelerated clubhead by the time of separation?

2. Does the clubhead pick up speed from the shaft's bending and subsequent unbending?

Mandrin...you go first.

Status
Not open for further replies.