Mac Doesnt Rate Tiger!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess MAC has never watched tiger smash a stinger with a 1 iron that traveled 285 yards in the fairway?

Tiger could have given the old greats a run for their money and vice versa.

I want to see an easy to read book that explores every golfing method known to man... It should be called "The tinkerers tool box."

I can't say I know that much about Mac (first learned about him from all the S&T stuff), but he's coming across as a huge A-hole here.

Mac is off base

I think that Mac is way off base in regard to Tiger Woods. When Tiger first came on tour and was blowing it 30 yds by everyone, he was using a standard length driver with a metal shaft. He doesn't need the new technology as much as the other players need it to try and keep up with him. Tiger was among the last people to switch over to the new technology and was even called out on this by Phil. Tiger has enough talent that if golf went back to hickory shafts Tiger would figure that out and beat everybody with those as well.

BTW -- I've been hearing about Mac's book since the mid-90's and I don't think it's any closer to publication now than it was back then.

He sounds like a tired old man just like Jack is starting to sound. Your times over go home. It's not your daddys game anymore, adjust.

he is eccentric but I have to say it would be interesting to see how good Jack/Arnold/Snead/Hogan/Jones would be today if they were in their prime with modern equipment. Something tells me Tiger wouldn't have 12 majors at the moment=)

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
he is eccentric but I have to say it would be interesting to see how good Jack/Arnold/Snead/Hogan/Jones would be today if they were in their prime with modern equipment. Something tells me Tiger wouldn't have 12 majors at the moment=)

I wonder if Jack would have 18 if he played with Jones/Hogan/Snead.

Each era has their group of greats. The fact of the matter is that Tiger is just much better than the other "greats" of this era.

Also, what none of these "old guys" want to admit is HOW MUCH HARDER courses are these days. Greens are faster and have a lot more undulation and courses are much longer as well.

Tiger is better than other greats because he doesn't have a rival that even comes close to Miller, Trevino, Snead, Nelson, etc. I agree that the courses are harder today as they should be but to say that those guys didn't play the hard courses for their time is short sighted. Given modern equipment, those guys could play today as could Tiger with the cr@ppy equipment of yesteryear back then.

I don't think there is any question that the ball goes much further and stops a lot quicker, drivers are easier to hit and much longer, and the quality of teaching is a lot higher. So naturally the courses should be harder, it's just the natural evolution of golf on the tour.

I wonder if Jack would have 18 if he played with Jones/Hogan/Snead.

Each era has their group of greats. The fact of the matter is that Tiger is just much better than the other "greats" of this era.

Also, what none of these "old guys" want to admit is HOW MUCH HARDER courses are these days. Greens are faster and have a lot more undulation and courses are much longer as well.

I read something a long time ago where Nicklaus said he wouldn't have won as many majors if Tony Lema hadn't been tragically killed in a small plane crash. Tony Lema won The Open at St. Andrews the first time he ever competed at St. Andrews.

Rumor( Usually they are not 100% true) has it that Earl Woods contacted Mac to work with Tiger before he started working with Butch Harmon...Mac declined..."The rest is History!"

Really...so you are discounting the effect of high speed video and computer analysis? There is no question in my mind that instruction is better as a whole...brianmanzella.com is a great example of a instruction resource that didn't exist even 5 years ago.

Technology is sooo meh...

Please correlate the use of new technology to lower USGA handicaps... I'll save ya some time. It CAN'T be done. Amateur golfers are no better today than they were 3o years ago. The technique to knock the white off of the ball hasn't changed. Technology has helped professional players more than anyone; it doesn't help your 30 handicap hacker.

Golf is awfully simple..

We were talking about professionals, not amateurs. You're right, handicaps have actually gotten higher in the last 10 years but the average tour player is better than he was 20-30 years ago and the average driving distance is significantly longer. I would also argue that technology has helped amateurs in terms of enjoyment of the game.

What's up with the sarcasm btw? Sounds like technology hasn't helped your game or handicap=)

Michael Jacobs

Super Moderator
Tiger woods - 3 US Junior Titles - 3 US Amateur Titles -- 12 Majors and a slew of PGA Tour Titles --- AGE 30

How can anyone say a negative about his record?

I usually find myself getting mad at all the guys who exaggerate about Tiger Woods in the OTHER direction.....

i.e. "Ohhhhh let's just give him the trophy right now this is OVVVVEERRRRRRRRRRRrrrrRRRRR."

But Mac is obviously full of crap too.

Not even a "one-plus?" C'mon now. I've rooted against Tiger in pretty much every tournament I've ever seen him in and I will even say this is off the BS charts.

I DO agree with what he said about some of the other stuff though.....he actually brings up some good points.

i.e. not working the ball into the hole anymore (because u can just bomb it there in the air).....

On that stuff he does have a point.

Status
Not open for further replies.