Miller on the US Open

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dariusz J.

A bit of topic, but..

I always liked the U.S. Open set up with massive, barely back to the fairway rough. I especially like it when you can't just hit 2 iron off the tee.

I always like the pre - rough Masters.

I love the ground game of unfertilized, hard pan British Open with wind and light fescue

I like the normalcy of the PGA where it just a slight sharpening of a typical "tour" set up.

That's what always made the majors so special. Each one catered to a certain type of player, but to win the Grand Slam you had to:

1. Be accurate with undying mental strength to win the U.S.

2. Be long and have imagination to win the Masters

3. Be a pure trapping ball striker, "flight the ball down" and love the grind for the British Open

4. Be able to go lower than everyone else in an almost "shoot out" situation.

I think the identity of each major should be embraced and never marginalized.

Actually, I liked this post. Although I consider PGA Championship as laughable major and Masters just as a good exhibition and green job tester rather than true major I can understand there is a lot of wisdom here.

hey Dariusz, what about having Indian Tigers strolling about in the rough and at the same time infesting it will a load of poisonous snakes and disease ridden rats? Now that would really sort out the men from the poosies? No?

This post is so stupid that I won't comment it. Same stupid as Floy'ds remark on throwing stones at Wimbledon and comparing to US Open setup.

Dariusz - I think you're missing my broader point, which is this.

Miller has an opinion [which is his job]. Floyd has an opinion, which is different.

That's fine - they're just opinions. Asking for proof of someone's opinion is disproportionate. I'm not trying to prove that Floyd is right - although it's, dare I say it, almost conventional wisdom that the US Open can be a somewhat one-dimensional test of stamina.

People's opinions vary - from each other and from verifiable facts - for so many well-documented reasons that it would be too tedious to rehearse them all.

It's my opinion[!] - that you rely too much on people's expressed opinions in support of your arguments, and not enough on objective facts.

Perhaps, but I rely on opinions OF MUCH MORE KNOWLEDGEABLE PEOPLE than you and me or anyone on this forum. There are various weights of opinions depending on one's competences. I find it strange you have problems in understanding this simple fact, Birly.
If Nicklaus and I start to argue about shotmaking having different opinions -- whom do you believe ? Conversely, if Nicklaus starts to argue with me about human hard structure of the body (or maybe Polish grammar if you still believe Nicklaus ROFL) -- whom do you believe ?

Dariusz,
How about you sock away some of that hard-earned zloty and come to the States for a U.S Open or a PGA?. I'm sure there are are any number of forum members who would open their doors to you for a couple of days, and don't you think you'd get a better feel for what's going on if you got to see these tour chaps up close and personal? While I doubt the experience would knock Hogan off his pedestal, you'd certainly spend a lot less time gazing upwards, and a bit more time doffing your hat to today's players.
P.S You can stay at my place, just give me a heads-up cos I'll have to vacuum the floors what with the amount of time you spend ROFL;)

Thank you. I intend to visit the States when it is possible (depending on my wife's health conditions and my son's school situation). I do not expect to be shocked with tour players abilities, really.

Here ya go:

Raymond Floyd remembers 1986 U.S. Open win 'like it was yesterday'

Excerpt:

Floyd loathed the United States Golf Association's severe set-ups, and it showed. Before he arrived to Shinnecock Hills, he had finished in the top 10 in the U.S. Open just twice in 21 tries.

"I'd always had a mental conflict about the way the USGA set up the golf courses," he said. "I had a little saying, 'They don't throw rocks on the court at Wimbledon.'

"But I loved this golf course. I loved the way it was set up. It was so good, you couldn't screw it up."

Typical pussy -- too hard but loved it because won it. Ridiculous. And the Wimbledon comparison is just plainly stupid.

Thanks puttmaster. That's not the actual interview I remember - but absolutely the same sentiments.

So it's official - Raymond Floyd is a crybaby.

Although one line in there "the grit and shotmaking that defined his career" would surely commend him otherwise to our Dariusz.

Yes, he is a crybaby officially in my world. But I admit I was wrong with my suspicions that there were/are no pros who complain(ed) that US Open typical setup is too tough.

Cheers

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Heavy rough makes for a totally different game.

I agree with just about everyone on this thread in places....

But mostly, I agree with Lindsey.

[..]

I rely on opinions OF MUCH MORE KNOWLEDGEABLE PEOPLE than you and me or anyone on this forum. There are various weights of opinions depending on one's competences. I find it strange you have problems in understanding this simple fact, Birly.
[...]

Dariusz - I understand fine. I just disagree. Once you get into trading different people's opinions, instead of facts, you get a mess like this one.

Miller says [X]. Floyd says [Y]. You like Miller and [X]. But Floyd's won more tournaments, twice as many majors, and stayed competitive over a far longer career. But you get to call him a pussy because he says something that you disagree with? That's not "weighing someone's opinion based on his competence" - that's just being a bigot.

I thought Miller won 25 times, Floyd 22 times on the PGA tour?

No doubt though whose swing left who earlier, though Miller said he had little interest in the senior tour (maybe cause he knew his game was gone?)

I thought Miller won 25 times, Floyd 22 times on the PGA tour?

No doubt though whose swing left who earlier, though Miller said he had little interest in the senior tour (maybe cause he knew his game was gone?)

And just to beat the undergrowth a bit more: Give me Johnny Miller every time over Nick...sorry, Sir Nick Faldo.

"Oh, you bahstahd" " I fooking hate pikeys"

"what have I told you about thinking Erol?"

"Listen to me, you fackin' fringe. If I frow a dog a bone I don't wanna know wevver it tastes good or not..."

Somewhere in cyberspace, there has to be a Bricktop forum where the members throw in cheeky lines about the golf swing.................There just has to be;)

Last edited:
Some light modern US Open rough

images
images
images
images
images
images
images
images
images
images

If that's not enough... Ernie is 6'4", so that makes this rough at least 5 feet tall.

images

Dariusz J.

Dariusz - I understand fine. I just disagree. Once you get into trading different people's opinions, instead of facts, you get a mess like this one.

I get into both opinions and facts. Do you agree that it is a fact that yesteryear rough was more penal ? Do you agree that last year rough was rather laughable for US Open standards ? These are facts, not opinions, IMO.

Miller says [X]. Floyd says [Y]. You like Miller and [X]. But Floyd's won more tournaments, twice as many majors, and stayed competitive over a far longer career. But you get to call him a pussy because he says something that you disagree with? That's not "weighing someone's opinion based on his competence" - that's just being a bigot.

You did not appreciate the fact that I admitted there were/are (at least one) opinions against US Open setups that I had doubted before ? "Pussy issue" is my private world issue and I have the right to have my personal opinions about one's character, I guess.

Cheers

I agree that last year Congressional played easier than most Open set-ups - but I think that one was an outlier, rather than a trend.

Was it laughable? I don't think so. It identified a winner who has strong case for being the best golfer in the world over the last year. Isn't that what major championships should be all about?

Of course you have a right to your opinions. But if you judge Floyd's character on something as flimsy as an interview about course set-up, then people might make their own judgements about you.

Call me old-fashioned, but I think there's a fundamental difference between arguing that Miller's opinion is demonstrably tosh and the way you handled Floyd's inconvenient opinion.

Dariusz J.

I am judging Floyd's character as a golfer, a professionalist, not as a man. It is like a swimmer, a professional swimmer, complains that water is too cold and when finally he decides to start in a race and happens to win says it was very cold, but he loved it. Pathetic.

Lastly, Floyd's opinion is the only one against tough setups comparing to these pros that are not complaining or even say it should be like this. Thus, the weight of his opinion is relatively small. If he was against Miller 1 on 1, I would have been forced to agree to you without hesitation.

Cheers

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Floyd's is the only opinion??? Where did you get all the opinions of yesteryears pros? Why don't you read all the pussy comments about Hazeltine in 1970?

Dariusz J.

Floyd's is the only opinion??? Where did you get all the opinions of yesteryears pros? Why don't you read all the pussy comments about Hazeltine in 1970?

Because I do not know they exist, simple as that. It is not nice to answer question with a question but why don't you bring links to these opinion here to the discussion ? Why didn't you bring it yesterday when we were looking for at least one example of "pussy comments" ?

Cheers

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
So since you do not know they exist, that is proof that Floyd's is the only opinion? By the way, do you believe everything you read?

I'll try to find some time to surf the Internet looking for complaints from old time pros about major championship setups. After that, I'll get a life.

It is not nice to answer question with a question but why don't you bring links to these opinion here to the discussion ? Why didn't you bring it yesterday when we were looking for at least one example of "pussy comments" ?

It's not "nice" to answer a question with a question but it is ok to call people a "pussy"? Or "ass-lickers"? Wow.

Dariusz J.

So since you do not know they exist, that is proof that Floyd's is the only opinion? By the way, do you believe everything you read?

Do I need to include in every sentence "in my opinion" or "according to my best knowledge" ? Do you think sometimes ?

It's not "nice" to answer a question with a question but it is ok to call people a "pussy"? Or "ass-lickers"? Wow.

Everything depends on context. Anyhow, what does your remark bring to the discussion ? You do not have anything more serious to join the attacks on myself and you decided to attack me with that ???Geez...:(

I am judging Floyd's character as a golfer, a professionalist, not as a man. It is like a swimmer, a professional swimmer, complains that water is too cold and when finally he decides to start in a race and happens to win says it was very cold, but he loved it. Pathetic.

Cheers

Not pathetic at all. More a sign of mental toughness. He knows he doesn't like the cold water, turns that thinking around and wins despite the water temperature.

To all of the internet golf purists...

My club champion, one of the best Senior players in Philly (and thus the state) a player who has "competed" in several US Amateurs played Congressional last week from the "members tees."

Long story short- you guys have no idea how hard a Championship golf course truly is...under any conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.