Miller on the US Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dari, why do I get the feeling this might be what the 1st tee looks like at the Polish Open? :)

pb-120210-golf-da.photoblog900.jpg

Do I need to include in every sentence "in my opinion" or "according to my best knowledge" ? Do you think sometimes ?

Everything depends on context. Anyhow, what does your remark bring to the discussion ? You do not have anything more serious to join the attacks on myself and you decided to attack me with that ???Geez...:(

Dariusz - I can't think of anyone on this forum, or possibly the internet, who complains more often than you about being the victim of ad hominem attacks.

Neither can I think of anyone else on this forum, or maybe the internet, who is more frequently scathing, disparaging, insulting, and whilst we're at it, disrespectful - of modern pros.

No doubt you feel vindicated on both counts.

...just sayin', that's all...

Dariusz J.

Not pathetic at all. More a sign of mental toughness. He knows he doesn't like the cold water, turns that thinking around and wins despite the water temperature.

Partially -- yes. But this is not about mental toughness, this is about running wars and squealing at USGA about how tough are these conditions, despite it playing for 20 years and squealing, and suddenly, when he finally won (here's place for mental toughness eventually) he says that he loves that setup ! A crybaby hypocrite, not an ordinary crybaby.

To all of the internet golf purists...

My club champion, one of the best Senior players in Philly (and thus the state) a player who has "competed" in several US Amateurs played Congressional last week from the "members tees."

Long story short- you guys have no idea how hard a Championship golf course truly is...under any conditions.

I cannot see any reasons why it should be easy. Repairing roofs or knowing 4 languages is not easy as well but professionalists do their job because this is their job ! Why should I expect an ordinary sportsman who does not do anything special for an ordinary sportsman (and earns 1000 times more than a great professional roof repairer BTW) to have the job nice and easy ?
I want it tough but fair. I do not want to make it unfairly tough -- vide MGranato's picture.

Dariusz - I can't think of anyone on this forum, or possibly the internet, who complains more often than you about being the victim of ad hominem attacks.

Neither can I think of anyone else on this forum, or maybe the internet, who is more frequently scathing, disparaging, insulting, and whilst we're at it, disrespectful - of modern pros.

No doubt you feel vindicated on both counts.

...just sayin', that's all...

Leave such comments for yourself because empathy is not your strong side.

I am entitled to criticize modern pros because I have eyes.

Cheers

I am entitled to criticize modern pros because I have eyes.

Cheers

No you aren't; you have never seen tour pros in the flesh, you are going off tv clips and some statistics you found on the internet. If a tour pro misses a fairway by inch or by a mile it still counts as a missed fairway.
You comment on modern courses but you have never seen a tour setup in the flesh, I have been to many Open championships and the fairways are narrow- remember this is a major which isnt noted for tight fairways.
If you played a round with a tour pro you wouldnt believe how good they strike it and how striaght they are, If they came to your course a tour pro would hit 16-18 Greens in regulation and 11-13 fairways.

Dariusz, you have brought up a subject that has been hashed over on this forum to a fault.

We all know how Miller feels about himself. He has made a career out of telling anyone that
will listen how great he was and how tough courses were when he played. We have heard
and read Miller's opinions many times over. You bringing up his repetitive comments is just
another attempt by you to argue about deep rough.

I don't think anyone on here needs another thread to know that you are lacking in any real
experience when it comes to players at the highest level or major championship courses.
Your opinions are monotonous and so often erroneous. Your blatant obduracy is annoying.

Stick to your pontification of swing biomechanics. At least some of the time you stumble onto
something that is relevant. Championship course setups are not your forte. It's obvious that
your eyes don't see too good. Get back to your amateurish take on Hogan's swing.

ZAP

New
football---see leather helmets and little or no pads
basketball--try playing 82 games in a pair of canvas Chuck Taylors
tennis---wooden racket

All sports have gone through changes both good and bad. Golf is no different. Trying to judge skills from different eras is a tough deal.
The talent pool is deeper today than it was 50 years ago. Does that mean those guys from that era were no good? Not a chance.
Today's elite players no matter what sport are pretty highly skilled.

Dariusz J.

Dariusz, you have brought up a subject that has been hashed over on this forum to a fault.

We all know how Miller feels about himself. He has made a career out of telling anyone that
will listen how great he was and how tough courses were when he played. We have heard
and read Miller's opinions many times over. You bringing up his repetitive comments is just
another attempt by you to argue about deep rough.

What repetitive comments ? I have quoted Miller for the first time in my life ! I thought it will be a good discussion because I know how in ave Miller is here as a player and because I found it funny he says things that can be taken directly from my mouth. This was an original intent. Almost all participants brought this thread to the level of attacks and sneers as usually.

I don't think anyone on here needs another thread to know that you are lacking in any real
experience when it comes to players at the highest level or major championship courses.
Your opinions are monotonous and so often erroneous. Your blatant obduracy is annoying.
Stick to your pontification of swing biomechanics. At least some of the time you stumble onto
something that is relevant. Championship course setups are not your forte. It's obvious that
your eyes don't see too good. Get back to your amateurish take on Hogan's swing.

Shaking head in bisbelief :( Who the heck are you to judge how often I stumble onto something relevant in biomechanics ? Do you want to lecture me about a discipline that you are probably a total ignorant ?
Amateurish take -- yes, because I am an amateur and proud of it. You won't insult me with this word no matter how hard you try.

football---see leather helmets and little or no pads
basketball--try playing 82 games in a pair of canvas Chuck Taylors
tennis---wooden racket

All sports have gone through changes both good and bad. Golf is no different. Trying to judge skills from different eras is a tough deal.
The talent pool is deeper today than it was 50 years ago. Does that mean those guys from that era were no good? Not a chance.
Today's elite players no matter what sport are pretty highly skilled.

I agree. Talent is talent. And talented individuals existed then and now and talented individuals adjust. Period.

Dariusz J.

No you aren't; you have never seen tour pros in the flesh, you are going off tv clips and some statistics you found on the internet. If a tour pro misses a fairway by inch or by a mile it still counts as a missed fairway.
You comment on modern courses but you have never seen a tour setup in the flesh, I have been to many Open championships and the fairways are narrow- remember this is a major which isnt noted for tight fairways.
If you played a round with a tour pro you wouldnt believe how good they strike it and how striaght they are, If they came to your course a tour pro would hit 16-18 Greens in regulation and 11-13 fairways.

Yes, I am, because I am a golfer myself and can judge things. You won't tell me what I can or I can't. You may disagree with me.
And do not be so sure how pros would play on my course. Rather tell me your US handicap and I tell you what score you would achieve on my course with much bigger probability.

Cheers

Talking about Miller's repetitive comments. Pay attention. I don't believe you have a sincere bone
in your body. You always have an agenda and this one about deep rough or lack of it, is just plain
wrong. But, we have already argued about it before. Why do it again?

Who the heck am I?? I'm the professional who knows way more than you do about this game. You
have to take whatever discipline you have with biomechanics and translate it specifically to hitting
superior golf shots. I'm not trying to insult you and no one is really attacking you either. Most guys
on here are just tired of your relentless, worn out, unsound, and flawed opinions about deep rough.

Get it??

Dariusz J.

Talking about Miller's repetitive comments. Pay attention. I don't believe you have a sincere bone
in your body. You always have an agenda and this one about deep rough or lack of it, is just plain
wrong. But, we have already argued about it before. Why do it again?

Who the heck am I?? I'm the professional who knows way more than you do about this game. You
have to take whatever discipline you have with biomechanics and translate it specifically to hitting
superior golf shots. I'm not trying to insult you and no one is really attacking you either. Most guys
on here are just tired of your relentless, worn out, unsound, and flawed opinions about deep rough.

Get it??

The only one thing I get is that you must be a tired unsuccesful jealous bitter man.

I am a very sincere person without any agendas. Keep your professional nose somewhere else because I have no pleasure to exchange posts with someone like you.

Dariusz J.

Really? How so?

Is this deep enough rough for you? All from US Open courses...

oakmont-church-pew-bunkers-ugly-425.jpg

Out-of-the-Rough.jpg

s090621_weir.jpg

US-Open.jpg

Yeah ? Do you have some pics from 2011 ? Miller's comment was evoked by last year's laughable setup and, as I read between verses, not to allow to happen again. Even those guys commenting Canadian Open said it was more like US Open than US Open was in 2011.

These pics show decent real rough.

Cheers

Despite the "easy" conditions of last years US Open at congressional there were still only 20 players under par for the tournament. The blame for the course conditions likes almost entirely on mother nature. There was exceptionally hot weather, and very little rain in the month before the tournament putting it in a semi dormant state, and even with irrigation, officials were unable to coax the grass any longer than it was in preparation for the tournament. They didn't mow it for the entire week before the tournament and it didn't grow at all. Then of course it rained during the tournament softening the greens, but too late to make any difference in the rough. But I suppose they should have just torn up all the pussy grass at Congressional and shipped in some proper grass from Lodz that wouldn't yield to mother nature, right?

Dariusz J.

Despite the "easy" conditions of last years US Open at congressional there were still only 20 players under par for the tournament. The blame for the course conditions likes almost entirely on mother nature. There was exceptionally hot weather, and very little rain in the month before the tournament putting it in a semi dormant state, and even with irrigation, officials were unable to coax the grass any longer than it was in preparation for the tournament. They didn't mow it for the entire week before the tournament and it didn't grow at all. Then of course it rained during the tournament softening the greens, but too late to make any difference in the rough. But I suppose they should have just torn up all the pussy grass at Congressional and shipped in some proper grass from Lodz that wouldn't yield to mother nature, right?

No, not from Lodz. They should have stopped mowing a month before the tournament at least. How decent real rough can grow with one week ? An evident mistake of people responsible for preparing the course.

Cheers

No, not from Lodz. They should have stopped mowing a month before the tournament at least. How decent real rough can grow with one week ? An evident mistake of people responsible for preparing the course.

Cheers

Here's a video talking about what the USGA had in mind for graduated rough for the 2011 US Open.
It was pretty much what they wanted just days before the event started. Weather didn't cooperate
during the week and the rough wasn't as severe as they wanted overall. There were spots where it
was pretty gnarly as shown above. BTW, you never answered my question in post #75.

Graduated rough at Congressional for 2011 U.S. Open | GOLF.com

Cheers

Oh, of course they should have known exactly what was going to happen well in advance. Hell, why stop there, they should've just stopped mowing the summer before just in case and told all the members to either man up or pound sand. The USGA has only been doing it since 1895. But I'm sure with all of your vast experience in tournament golf, and setting up major championships you would have known better then them.

Status
Not open for further replies.