My least favorite major

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wikipedia's awful. I've learned that the hard way, too many times.

Don't need to know anything more about someone who says Tiger's and Furyk's results in the US Open are even remotely comparable, even with the silly line drawing of "over the last decade"...

I'm amazed how many people don't want to see these guys pushed to the limits. The majors all do that, in slightly different manners. It's only at the limits that the truth is revealed.

It seems to me that the revelation from the U.S. Open (excluding 2003) is that Jim Furyk has trouble finishing the deal. He has gotten into contention a few times but poor decisions/bad swings at the worst time kill him. I would argue the tee shot on 16 was a poor swing brought on by a bad/unsure decision. The way he played the 17th at Oakmont was just mind blowing.

It seems to me that the revelation from the U.S. Open (excluding 2003) is that Jim Furyk has trouble finishing the deal. He has gotten into contention a few times but poor decisions/bad swings at the worst time kill him. I would argue the tee shot on 16 was a poor swing brought on by a bad/unsure decision. The way he played the 17th at Oakmont was just mind blowing.

Closed to open is not doing him any favors under the gun. :rolleyes:

Was he "being humble" or had he been "humbled" by superior ball striking?
Just askin'.

we'll never know.

there are people who are comfortable telling all and sundry that they are best that has ever lived...

then there are others who like to like to acknowledge the greatness of others whilst being the best that has ever lived...

Cassius Clay would be a good example of the former, whilst Jack strikes me as a fine example of the latter.

the point i was making, was merely that if Jack is asked who is the best ballstriker he has ever laid eyes on, surely we can agree he is not the sort of fellow to say "well, me".

for some silly reason, us humans need our gods... whether it be Bhagwan or Yahweh, Magic Johnson or Michael Jordan.

if people GENUINELY believe that Jack "couldn't polish Ben's shoes" when it came to ballstriking, then we just have another silly wee case of 'my god is better than your god' going on.

a nice bed time story for big kids... but based on about as much fact as your garden variety campfire story.

In reference to all to folks saying how Jack said Hogan was the best ball striker he'd ever seen, Jack said alot of stuff. In the Wonderful World of Golf match from the mid 90's with him versus Trevino, Jack said that Hogan and Trevino were the two most accurate ballstrikers he ever saw, and he went on to say he wasn't sure who was better. In Jack's 1978 book "On and Off the Fairway", he wrote that Byron Nelson was the straightest golfer he ever saw. So.... who knows what he really believes, and furthermore who cares. It's not like Jack's opinion would sway anyone on this forum anyways.

In reference to all to folks saying how Jack said Hogan was the best ball striker he'd ever seen, Jack said alot of stuff. In the Wonderful World of Golf match from the mid 90's with him versus Trevino, Jack said that Hogan and Trevino were the two most accurate ballstrikers he ever saw, and he went on to say he wasn't sure who was better. In Jack's 1978 book "On and Off the Fairway", he wrote that Byron Nelson was the straightest golfer he ever saw. So.... who knows what he really believes, and furthermore who cares. It's not like Jack's opinion would sway anyone on this forum anyways.

He also said Tigers flopper on 16 at the Memorial was the greastest shot he'd ever seen. Come on now.

Person #1 - "here is our new born baby!"

person#2- "ahh look at how cute your new born baby is!"

Interviewer at Colonial - "Mr. Nicklaus, what was it like playing with Mr. Hogan?"

What the f is Jack gonna say?

I'm a huge Hogan fan FYI, but we all say what we HAVE to say.

Person #1 - "here is our new born baby!"

person#2- "ahh look at how cute your new born baby is!"

Interviewer at Colonial - "Mr. Nicklaus, what was it like playing with Mr. Hogan?"

What the f is Jack gonna say?

I'm a huge Hogan fan FYI, but we all say what we HAVE to say.

Every once in a while there's a break in the dam. I remember reading that Peter Jacobson got chastised for congratulating his opponent, Howard Clark, for a hole in one in the Ryder Cup; his response:
"What am I gonna do, pull a Ben Hogan and ignore the guy? I wanna win but I don't wanna lose any friends over the Ryder Cup"
Bravo, Peter...

No doubt about it, Hogan was sublime, but you have to think he missed more than one or two hugs from his parents as a kid.

Last edited:
I said clearily -- in the last decade. Do you know what a decade mean ?

Yeah I do. The point is Dariusz, Furyk's not even close to Tiger. Get a clue.

Yeah. And that is precisely why Nicklaus said that Hogan was EASILY the best ballstriker he ever saw. ROFL.

Nicklaus believes Hogan was a geat ballstriker, just not the best he ever saw. Jack is one of the most gracious
guys when speaking in public. In private? He's a little less adulatory. Won't find that in Wikipedia.

What this mumbling has to do with my post ?

Tiger's performance in 2000 was just as good as Hogan's in 1953. Get it!! Most players feel Tiger's was better.
Hogan's best game would not overwhelm Tiger's best. Just a reality you need to pound into your thick skull. :p

Do you interest a little with history of golf ? are you familiar with some names as e.g. Turnesa, Dickinson, Fazio, Burke, Demaret, Hebert, Locke ? Or maybe do you want to calculate aggregate wins of the crowd behind Hogan and compare to aggregate wins of crowd behind Woods ?

Yeah, actually knew quite a few of them and saw most of them play too, so don't try to give me a history lesson Dariusz.

Give me a break. I am tired with writing all this stuff to people who are stubborn and cannot admit even the simplest truth mentioned by me.

No breaks Dariusz! The problem is, you are the stubborn one living in a fantasy most of the time and just cannot except reality. The truth just seems to be out of your reach too often.

News flash --- Wikipedia Sucks!!

LONG LIVE SNACK BAR SALLY!!! ;)

Last edited:
Every once in a while there's a break in the dam. I remember reading that Peter Jacobson got chastised for congratulating his opponent, Howard Clark, for a hole in one in the Ryder Cup; his response:
"What am I gonna do, pull a Ben Hogan and ignore the guy? I wanna win but I don't wanna lose any friends over the Ryder Cup"
Bravo, Peter...

No doubt about it, Hogan was sublime, but you have to think he missed more than one or two hugs from his parents as a kid.

And what do you think Tiger would have done? Please.

Dariusz J.

Yeah I do. The point is Dariusz, Furyk's not even close to Tiger. Get a clue.

Actually, in the US Opens he's close even if you take more than one decade. He's the closest of all pros. Get a clue.

Nicklaus believes Hogan was a geat ballstriker, just not the best he ever saw. Jack is one of the most gracious
guys when speaking in public. In private? He's a little less adulatory. Won't find that in Wikipedia.

You are not even able to do your homework. It is pathetic what you write. Let the rest be silence. :(

Tiger's performance in 2000 was just as good as Hogan's in 1953. Get it!! Most players feel Tiger's was better.
Hogan's best game would not overwhelm Tiger's best. Just a reality you need to pound into your thick skull. :p)

Answer my three questions first if you have courage to do. Again, you're pure pathetic.

Yeah, actually knew quite a few of them and saw most of them play too, so don't try to give me a history lesson Dariusz.

Obviously you're not good in history. This is the ONLY one commentary I wish to say.

No breaks Dariusz! The problem is, you are the stubborn one living in a fantasy most of the time and just cannot except reality. The truth just seems to be out of your reach too often.

Go stuff yourself. Everything you wrote is a lie or, at best, not precise. The most sad part is that these blind sheep from this forum seem to support someone as you. Except very few guys with sane minds.

Dariusz J.

It's called being humble.

Hahahahahaha. This is the best joke I have ever heard. FYI, because you seem to be as weak as Nitro in the history of the game -- Nicklaus was asked about Woods, not Hogan. The question wasn't like is Hogan the best ballstriker you've seen. The answer was pretty easy to understand if someone has no agenda against Hogan. Geeezzzzz :(

Hahahahahaha. This is the best joke I have ever heard. FYI, because you seem to be as weak as Nitro in the history of the game -- Nicklaus was asked about Woods, not Hogan. The question wasn't like is Hogan the best ballstriker you've seen. The answer was pretty easy to understand if someone has no agenda against Hogan. Geeezzzzz :(

ummmm... huh?... i guess you missed my point.

Big D.. i don't have an agenda against Hogan... i reckon he was a ripping player.

I actually have no agenda at all...

Can you say the same big fella?

Dariusz J.

ummmm... huh?... i guess you missed my point.

Big D.. i don't have an agenda against Hogan... i reckon he was a ripping player.

I actually have no agenda at all...

Can you say the same big fella?

My only agenda is the truth. And yours ? Explain me then how the heck you could conclude that Nicklaus was "humble" when answering the question about Woods ? I can understand he's humble when he said that Hogan should be on a higher pedestal as a player than "the rest of us" -- which he also said.

My advice is -- learn more about the history of the game. Read books instead listening people with agendas.

Cheers

My only agenda is the truth. And yours ? Explain me then how the heck you could conclude that Nicklaus was "humble" when answering the question about Woods ? I can understand he's humble when he said that Hogan should be on a higher pedestal as a player than "the rest of us" -- which he also said.

My advice is -- learn more about the history of the game. Read books instead listening people with agendas.

Cheers

ha... rightio, i'll bite...

my point wasn't to participate in the Polish Guru of Golf's History exam... my point was merely to suggest that taking what Jack says about the hierarchy of golfing greatness (including the only facet you deem worthy of discussion: ballstriking abilty) at face value, is folly... as he will exclude a fairly important piece.. himself.

So... now that i have spelled out my point for you... do you agree with it?

Remember, just my point... not anything else your paranoid brain may think i am inferring... such as Mr. Hogan is not champion of the universe.... just that using Jack's comments of other players is not solid 'historical' evidence.

Capiche?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.