My Swing in high speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks good to me Steve.

You like to play a draw I assume?

How'd that driver shot fly? Camera angle?

Just asking...I really do presume you are pretty on top of things.

Thought it was interesting to talk to you in SD. You seem quicker to learn and integrate specific things than I am I think. Or maybe I am just dopey!! :):D

Liked your idea about distracting a player with something before an event.

Actually my default shot is a cut but I can hit a draw on demand. I have two different swing patterns and the fade holds up better. Problem with a fade is that it's usually a good 10-15 yards shorter than a well released draw.

As for the driver swing, the reason it seems to go left is because I use the D-Plane to my advantage. I'm hitting up on that ball with a closed clubface. Higher launch angle, less spin. Aim right, and hit up on it with a closed face. Thing of beauty.

S

SteveT

Here we go, video of my driver down the line.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-KJ_mOp0d0[/media]

You don't seem to apply any 'parametric acceleration' in your driver swing to generate more power at Impact. All of your swing centers seem locked up or stabilized. Somebody from Manzella Academy was advancing the concept of parametric acceleration, so you might get some help from them. You may or may not be able to generate parametric acceleration based on your body type, but it's worth a try.

What distances do you get on your drives?

Ok so how you would you put it?

I can't do that because it's your swing, and I have no measurements for your full swing.

The only thing I'm saying is that you shouldn't attempt to describe your swing in scientific terms unless you say "I feel like I'm generating xxxxxxx when I feel a zzzzz in my downswing" ... and in that way I can't accuse you of making sweeping scientific conclusions.

You originally said:

"Well based on the symposium and lots of other things I've been reading plus some intuitive guidance I realize that the golf swing is a sequence of torques we call the kinetic link/chain/sequence."

Perhaps you should have said:

"Well based on the symposium and lots of other things I've been reading plus some intuitive guidance I realize that MY golf swing is a sequence of torques that I call the kinetic link/chain/sequence."

See ... by personalizing it, I can't contradict your feelings ... maybe correct it, but not damn it. Sorry for being so nitpicking, but I had to tee off on somebody, and I chose you ... forgive ... :eek:

Last edited:
You don't seem to apply any 'parametric acceleration' in your driver swing to generate more power at Impact. All of your swing centers seem locked up or stabilized. Somebody from Manzella Academy was advancing the concept of parametric acceleration, so you might get some help from them. You may or may not be able to generate parametric acceleration based on your body genotype, but it's worth a try.

What distances do you get on your drives?

I can't do that because it's your swing, and I have no measurements for your full swing.

The only thing I'm saying is that you shouldn't attempt to describe your swing in scientific terms unless you say "I feel like I'm generating xxxxxxx when I feel a zzzzz in my downswing" ... and in that way I can't accuse you of making sweeping scientific conclusions.

You originally said:

"Well based on the symposium and lots of other things I've been reading plus some intuitive guidance I realize that the golf swing is a sequence of torques we call the kinetic link/chain/sequence."

Perhaps you should have said:

"Well based on the symposium and lots of other things I've been reading plus some intuitive guidance I realize that MY golf swing is a sequence of torques that I call the kinetic link/chain/sequence."

See ... by personalizing it, I can't contradict your feelings ... maybe correct it, but not damn it. Sorry for being so nitpicking, but I had to tee off on somebody, and I chose you ... forgive ... :eek:

Not to be too nit picky either, but if you want others to use scientific terms correctly, you should too. Check the definition of genotype then let us know how you can see this in the video.

Or maybe you have karyotyped Ringer.

Nice swing Ringer. Do you feel as if you lose some of the right leg push, or "torque" a bit early in the downswing?

Last edited:
I like your swing Ringer. What is your swing thought for the downswing? Also I like the action of the right hip in the back swing.
Which swing "thought" I go for depends on the type of shot I want to hit. When I'm trying to work a draw I really let my forearms roll. When I want to hit a fade I really try to pull longer with my upper arms.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Which swing "thought" I go for depends on the type of shot I want to hit. When I'm trying to work a draw I really let my forearms roll. When I want to hit a fade I really try to pull longer with my upper arms.

......which is why you dont get as much distance with your fade.

I agree with a previous poster that its good to see a teacher walk the walk by posting their swing.

S

SteveT

Draw -- early lead hand supination
Fade -- late lead hand supination

I assume you do this prior to Impact. Out of interest, where do you tee up the ball for draw and fade? Also where do you position the ball in your stance when using mid and short irons for a fade or draw actuated by your forearm action?

BTW ... have you classified your body type and swing with LAWs? I don't want to hazard a guess because that would be inappropriate .. and I could be wrong.

S

SteveT

Nice swing Ringer. Do you feel as if you lose some of the right leg push, or "torque" a bit early in the downswing?

I would think that a "right leg push" is a thrusting force ... and not a "torque".

Torque is a force, but force is not a torque.

Btw .. thanks for correcting my 'genotype' reference ... I learned something too.

dlam

New
Steve, you have a smooth swing.

You say you start the kinetic flow with the right knee twisting, but when I see the driver or 6 iron swing. The startup of your swing appears to begin from the arms away from the ball. The right knee doesn't kick or move. The right knee moves after the arms start the takeaway.
Is there something subtle you are doing to twist the right knee and left hip at address I cant see?

I would think that a "right leg push" is a thrusting force ... and not a "torque".

Torque is a force, but force is not a torque.

Btw .. thanks for correcting my 'genotype' reference ... I learned something too.

Agreed. I was trying to use Ringer's reference to say that it looks to me as if the right heel lifts and right knee moves forward too soon, leaving less than optimum support/thrust for the downswing. I could be wrong too, because he could still be using the ball and big toe of the right foot. I have this flaw in my swing much worse than he does and can get a very powerful feeling in my swing when I can use my right leg to push/thrust longer into the downswing.

Terms get confused all the time. Sorry for being a bit of a smart a**. You just need to substitute phenotype for genotype.

Last edited:
I was not being facetious and I'm not kidding. I have always been a good ball striker with a little lacking on firing my irons at pins. I leave myself 20 and 30 footers for birdie all day when I'm into the round and not just goofing around. But my green reading sucks. I leave myself 3 and 4 footers all the time. Nothing wrong with the stroke, just no feel because I don't practice enough. I work all the time and always during daylight hours. Can't practice green reading when it's dark out.

What is so amazing to you Tongzilla that I classify myself as a professional? I have won money playing in professional events inclusing PGA events and the Pepsi tour. But to REALLY make it you need at least 10k to go through Q-school and that doesn't just happen. There are a lot of guys like me with great swings and lots of ability, but no money.

Erik_K

New
A classic swing in my eyes - very Orthodox looking.

Nice move, Steve. I really like your backswing and stable lower body. It just looks like you are coiling about the right side. Everything looks very compact and stable.

Erik

A classic swing in my eyes - very Orthodox looking.

Nice move, Steve. I really like your backswing and stable lower body. It just looks like you are coiling about the right side. Everything looks very compact and stable.

Erik

Thank you Erik!

Practice around the greens. My touch is gone. I have great mechanics in both my putting and chipping strokes, I just have a tough time reading greens accurately and gaging distances with my chip shots. I have many rounds where I hit 16 greens in regulation and shoot a 74 with 1 or no birdies. I'll even hit it within 30 feet of the hole all day and still miss every birdie putt but a few inches here or there.

If I had the time to spend just working on reading greens I'd probably would have been at Q-school this year or already on tour.

Have you tried using Mark Sweeney's AimPoint system? Some other names (Sorry they are East Coasters) are David Orr (NC), Geoff Mangum (NC) and Rob Noel (LA). West Coaster would be David Edel.

Status
Not open for further replies.