O'Hair leaves swing coach Foley - Brian Manzella response p4

Status
Not open for further replies.
are you a friend of his?
you are pimping hard for him and I gotta tell ya, I don't want life lessons from my golf instructor, fix or improve my game unless you are ordained or have an MD.

If you're looking to the ordained to fix your golf game it's probably best if you put down the clubs and back away slowly.

dbl

New
How do you know he's on the lesson tee talking about having peace in your life? He may talk about that in interviews but unless you are there how do we know thats part of the program? Any Tour players touting this as part of his teaching or is it all fluff?

There has been writeups of Sean's range of ideas and especially on "philosophy of life." I though I had seen Woods comments about this, but in a quick search I didn't see any right away. Here are two links of some of Floey's life views.
Sean Foley Talks Tiger Woods & Philosophy | LinksLifeGolf
Sean Foley Talks Tiger and Instruction Philosophy « Wei Under Par

And while who knows what peace-loving ideas are really right, it's just a good guess that most anything is better than Woods' self absorbed hedonsitic life before the 'crash.'

Its a good thing that being a good person is not directly proportional to being a good golfer. If that were true, Garrett Willis would have a terminal case of the shanks.

are you a friend of his?
you are pimping hard for him and I gotta tell ya, I don't want life lessons from my golf instructor, fix or improve my game unless you are ordained or have an MD.

I don't know him personally but I wish I did. There is little question that he hovers above the normal stream of consciousness. I can't imagine what it was like to be a young Canadian kid with a liberal upbringing that taught him to empathise with the downtrodden, and then have to endure the abuse thrown at him at Tennesse State. When you endure hardships like that, you exit the other side with an even greater understanding of how to be at peace with who you are..and what you might become.

What has he become? He has become someone that understands that language effects self-image, and that we're all basic nuero-programs that operate according to the nouns and adjectives that describe and label. If we let the wrong descriptors define us, our self image erodes. Before he discovered this, he dealt with a lot of insecurity, but later realized he either had to get out of life or really into life.

And having gotten into life, he not only has become the premier expert on swing mechanics but really embraced a philosophy on what universally makes the world a better place. Guys, Sean's whole approach reaches much farther than golf. He epitomizes what Thomas Sowell calls the "Unconstrained Vision" which is a social vision that produces categorical solutions, and no unsavory trade-offs. Either the US governement, or the Canadian government, or both, should have him working on problems much bigger than golf.

Last edited:

lia41985

And having gotten into life, he not only has become the premier expert on swing mechanics but really embraced a philosophy on what universally makes the world a better place. Guys, Sean's whole approach reaches much farther than golf. He epitomizes what Thomas Sowell calls the "Unconstrained Vision" which is a social vision that produces categorical solutions, and no unsavory trade-offs. Either the US governement, or the Canadian government, or both, should have him working on problems much bigger than golf.
Huge man crush, you've got. A liberal being the true personification of what Thomas Sowell wrote? Must be transcendent as hell, man. No trade-offs? Sounds dreamy... :)

I don't know him personally but I wish I did. There is little question that he hovers above the normal stream of consciousness. I can't imagine what it was like to be a young Canadian kid with a liberal upbringing that taught him to empathise with the downtrodden, and then have to endure the abuse thrown at him at Tennesse State. When you endure hardships like that, you exit the other side with an even greater understanding of how to be at peace with who you are..and what you might become.

What has he become? He has become someone that understands that language effects self-image, and that we're all basic nuero-programs that operate according to the nouns and adjectives that describe and label. If we let the wrong descriptors define us, our self image erodes. Before he discovered this, he dealt with a lot of insecurity, but later realized he either had to get out of life or really into life.

Really? He's that good? What's wrong with O'Hair then?

Huge man crush, you've got. A liberal being the true personification of what Thomas Sowell wrote? Must be transcendent as hell, man. No trade-offs? Sounds dreamy... :)

Well, Thomas Sowell wrote about it but is not a fan of that type of vision.....but he may be limited in what he sees as human potential. Foley sees clearly what humanity can be, on and off the golf course. This is why his gifts are wasted on the golf course somewhat.

Really? He's that good? What's wrong with O'Hair then?

Foley operates on a higher plane than O'Hair and has reached out his hand, but O'Hair has let go. This is where the "fear" plays a role. Sometimes we all fear an experience that will show us our true potential. To go to that place where Foley inhabits, you have to restructure the framework and typical value system that controls a tour pro's performance. The rules have changed, gentlemen.

lia41985

Well, Thomas Sowell wrote about it but is not a fan of that type of vision.....but he may be limited in what he sees as human potential. Foley sees clearly what humanity can be, on and off the golf course. This is why his gifts are wasted on the golf course somewhat.
I didn't realize you had to be a golf pro that reads The Economist and listen to Jay-Z to be worthy of being the most sought after fix it guy for whatever because of your supposedly fearless, transcendent vision (whatever that is). Where'd he earn that degree? Tennessee State or the School of I'm a well-rounded, humble person. Let me tell you all about it. You'd think Tiger would dump Foley just because he's so reminiscent of Phil Mickelson.

Foley operates on a higher plane than O'Hair and has reached out his hand, but O'Hair has let go. This is where the "fear" plays a role. Sometimes we all fear an experience that will show us our true potential. To go to that place where Foley inhabits, you have to restructure the framework and typical value system that controls a tour pro's performance. The rules have changed, gentlemen.

Fair enough.

YouTube - AwesomeSpeeches | "Our deepest fear" - Coach Carter

Persecuted Canadian???A regular Nelson Mandela. Mandela had an 8x8 cell on Robben Island and Foley has who knows how much of manicured bermuda on Jupiter Island!! I hope Foley would be embarrassed by all of that rot. If not, he may need a life coach himself.

Last edited:
not to be to critical but isn't Thomas Sowell a very conservative libertarian?
liberal and libertarian are polar opposites, and if you don't know Sean Foley personally it is more than a little scary that you have put such a passion into his persona.
in the end he is just another golf coach who has hit the spotlight because he whispered in the famous ear, he has not proven anything yet and seems to work the bohemian humanist angle a little too much for my taste. I have always felt that a person who has to tell you how religious or cerebral they are usually aren't
just my 2 cents and that aint worth much

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Virtuoso, im not trying to get into it with you at all but do you really expect anyone to think you arent either Foley himself or a close friend? C'mon. Some of your posts are a dead giveaway.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
I hope he gets it worked out, he seems more talented swing the club though then mentally playing the game, not sure who is going to fix that.

Mentally......

That's a bunch of BS.

I know 100 stories about good players who were struggling, down on themselves, and everyone else, really down. Mentally out of it. Playing awful. Done...............Then he went to see a teacher, got fixed, and EVERYTHING IS RIGHT WITH THE WORLD.

I saw O'hair from 15 feet away on the range at the Zurich. He looked horrible swinging the club. But I didn't see anything that couldn't have been fixed in an hour or two.

Whoa! This is big news. It just goes to show you its dangerous to have your reputation built on how Tour players perform. BTW, dont tell me for a second that not getting any time wasnt part of the issue. If you're Tiger's coach, thats ur only student. Watch the mass exodus of the rest of them.

I think if your students play good, they will keep coming back. Many of Sean Foley's are.

Three tops 10s since 09. Probably time. That's tour instruction for you; what have you done for me lately?

Yup.

What is a "Foley swing"?

I don't think there is "one" Foley swing. But I don't see him getting anyone to try the Dustin Johnson or RIcky Fowler patterns.

And was O'Hair hitting it badly this year or is it a lack of scoring...or just wanting away from the Tiger circus?

He was hitting it sideways and un-solid last Wednesday.

Agreed. there was a story from 5 years ago or so, that he was particularly lost and went to Barnes and Noble to find a swing key to get him through a tournament. I thought I was the only one who did that

You'd be surprised.

the student teacher relationship is only good while results are good. I don't think that it has to do with weather a teacher is good or bad but rather when the magic wears off it's time for a fresh perspective.

I have been left by many.

Everytime, I just could have taught a little better.

That's it.

This is not a serious set-back for him based on his goals. Sean has to worry about the performance of his players but his ultimate goal is to get respect from other human beings for being one, and to help people become more content.

He is not here to revolutionize golf instruction as much as to touch individual lives. When he goes to bed at night, he wants to feel like he's left the world a better place than he found it.

That's cool.

I'm here to revolutionize golf instruction, and golf in the medias.

What's great about Foley is that he doesn't just deal with the golf swing; he essentially coaches human beings that deal with love, hate and fear. Just analyzing the physicality of it would fall short of what he considers his mantra...

Trust me. It's ALWAYS THE PHYSICALITY or the other thing—the TALENT.

When a coach is this knowledgeable about the world....
My only wish is that he had to prominence sooner--studying what he has to say would have made me a better teacher and human being.

Whoa Nellie.

Let me go on record as saying that I am very friendly with Sean Foley.

But, the whole thing is just part of the BRANDING>>>>branding......I have 1000000000 theories about life, love, happiness, existence, and 100000 other things.

NOT PART OF MY BRANDING.

Ben Doyle's whole life is all of that stuff.....he didn't choose to brand himself that way.

Sean is very good at creating his brand.

He could play a Tour Instructor in a movie, if he didn't know ANYTHING. But he does know some stuff.

How do you know he's on the lesson tee talking about having peace in your life? He may talk about that in interviews but unless you are there how do we know thats part of the program? Any Tour players touting this as part of his teaching or is it all fluff?

They just want accurate shots and low scores. If you can get 'em that, you could be a big arse dee-eye-cee and be a rich and famous tour teacher.

There is little question that he hovers above the normal stream of consciousness.

Seriously?

This is why his gifts are wasted on the golf course somewhat.

Everyone's are.

Foley operates on a higher plane than O'Hair and has reached out his hand, but O'Hair has let go.

HE WAS HITTING IT BAD!!!

That's his j-o-b.

Geez....

I didn't realize you had to be a golf pro that reads The Economist and listen to Jay-Z...

My job is to fix you RIGHT NOW, then keep you getting better, then keep you from falling back, then bringing you back if you do.

The how is MY CHOICE.

The phone call is YOUR CHOICE.

It's the golf teaching business in 37 words.

Thankyouverymuch.

All i can say is the Dali Lama is retiring, maybe Foley could..... nah! Ya think?

The robes would cover his head on the range.

:)

Sean will be fine.

Both of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.