O'Hair leaves swing coach Foley - Brian Manzella response p4

Status
Not open for further replies.

ej20

New
Virtuoso,that was a good one! Ahahahah

Foley had better start branding himself differently because some people are thinking the kook word.

I don't know him personally but I wish I did. There is little question that he hovers above the normal stream of consciousness. I can't imagine what it was like to be a young Canadian kid with a liberal upbringing that taught him to empathise with the downtrodden, and then have to endure the abuse thrown at him at Tennesse State. When you endure hardships like that, you exit the other side with an even greater understanding of how to be at peace with who you are..and what you might become.

What has he become? He has become someone that understands that language effects self-image, and that we're all basic nuero-programs that operate according to the nouns and adjectives that describe and label. If we let the wrong descriptors define us, our self image erodes. Before he discovered this, he dealt with a lot of insecurity, but later realized he either had to get out of life or really into life.

And having gotten into life, he not only has become the premier expert on swing mechanics but really embraced a philosophy on what universally makes the world a better place. Guys, Sean's whole approach reaches much farther than golf. He epitomizes what Thomas Sowell calls the "Unconstrained Vision" which is a social vision that produces categorical solutions, and no unsavory trade-offs. Either the US governement, or the Canadian government, or both, should have him working on problems much bigger than golf.

WTF? When did a thread on golf coaching become a man-crush? I have met hundreds of Butternuts (residents of Tennessee) at Bristol Speedway and they are great people. I have also played youth hockey throughout Quebec and Ontario and met a host of French and English Canadians. I will take the Butternuts every day. Your implied view of those of us who live in flyover country is the typical European ignorance of people who are very intelligent, hard-working patriotic Americans who lack what you consider to be sophistication. You can keep your opera houses, art museums, truffles, go to elevator music concerts, and the BBC. We prefer the NFL, NASCAR, cheeseburgers, and we like BOTH kinds of music, country and western.

If you are this much into Sean Foley, why not ask him out for a date? Catch him during the PGA event in Phoenix. Start with a nice evening at some overpriced four-star French restaurant that features a wine list full of $200 wines from obscure French wineries presented by some snotty sommelier, followed by some tiny portion of quasi-food. Then, offer an evening at AMM in Phoenix with a personal tour just for a very special couple. You just might get lucky.

Our view of the world is not epitomized by some Oprah wannabe, we prefer the view of the world as epitomized Seal Team Six.

Side note - at the Zurich last week Rory Sabbatini flew the green, duffed a chip and double bogeyed the 13th hole. Walking to the next hole he and O'Hair were getting into it - trading barbs and jaw jacking. Thought they were going to come to blows. Rory doubled the next hole also. I guess both were frustrated - both missed the cut.

I think Foley has a salesman's knack for working into a conversation/presentation/lesson what he has just recently read. I give him credit for being a casual reader and quoting a didactic dinosaur every know and then...it is clearly his schtick.

As for our proprietor in chief: I do not get the sense that you are jerking on levers behind a curtain, unless of course you are just that good! For me you are more "love me or leave me." whereas Foley is "Please hold me!" I know a forum member that may be available! ;) Or it could just be that I wanted to break his "thinking man" glasses when I first saw them. :p

oldpro

New
I'm different on purpose.

Really.

Am I a phony???

I think you are Golf's version of Columbo...I don't mean that in a bad way Ba Da Bing!!
O'Hair should get away from his screaming kids, head to New Orleans and have YOU get him back in shape...hopefully with a long putter in hand. He would spend a few nights eating Italian food and relax in a town that make a guy chill out. He'd be right back in contention the first week.

Rinsing teacher and caddie in one week! (Foley is an acquaintance, Little (the caddie) was my college roommate and groomsmen).

Talk about wanting to shake the dust off and find something new! I can see him firing Foley as the shots weren't going where he wanted them to and he wasn't confident. He wasn't playing well.

Firing his caddie? That sucks. Brennan has been on Weir's bag for 10 years and "thought" this change would be positive. I spoke to Brennan yesterday and he still raves about O'hair saying he's a great kid and just wants to change the scenery a bit.

ej20

New
Foley on O'hair......

"At this point Sean has no more changes to make, and it's just about doing the same thing over and over and over," he says, launching into one of his science-for-dummies tutorials. "You have these neural pathways that come from the motor cortex, and each one has something around them called the myelin sheath. The more reps, the thicker the myelin sheath gets. That's what makes something natural. The ultimate goal is for Sean to get to where his only thoughts are about the shape of the shot and the height of the shot, so that he's as noncognizant as possible."

Well,so much for the myelin theory......

oldpro

New
Foley on O'hair......

"At this point Sean has no more changes to make, and it's just about doing the same thing over and over and over," he says, launching into one of his science-for-dummies tutorials. "You have these neural pathways that come from the motor cortex, and each one has something around them called the myelin sheath. The more reps, the thicker the myelin sheath gets. That's what makes something natural. The ultimate goal is for Sean to get to where his only thoughts are about the shape of the shot and the height of the shot, so that he's as noncognizant as possible."

Well,so much for the myelin theory......

Yes indeed. O'Hair needed no further swing changes but instead a long putter (he needed that change in 2010) In my opinion Foley has a blind spot with the short game. Same goes for Hunter (chipping/lobs/sand. An Justin needs a slightly longer and heavier putter than he is presently using. It's a glaring weakness in his ability to spot the real problems in his player's games.

I'm pretty sure virtuoso is putting everybody on.....if not, we have bigger issues

My thoughts exactly... Like my guidance counselor used to always say, "Don't try to BS a BSer."

role-models-2.jpg

I'm pretty sure virtuoso is putting everybody on.....if not, we have bigger issues

Indeed, to say I had tongue firmly planted in cheek would be an understatement. I just let the train derail farther and farther off the track until everyone started calling me out.

Indeed, to say I had tongue firmly planted in cheek would be an understatement. I just let the train derail farther and farther off the track until everyone started calling me out.

Awesome thread man... you are a funny dude. Hilarious you brought Sowell into the discussion... great economist. Certainly more deserving of a Nobel prize than the "Keynesian Klown"...

Hmmm, i wonder if Krugman believes we see a net economic benefit from tearing down an entire golf swing to rebuild it ;)? Does Bastiat's broken window fallacy apply to the golf swing?

Awesome thread man... you are a funny dude. Hilarious you brought Sowell into the discussion... great economist. Certainly more deserving of a Nobel prize than the "Keynesian Klown"...

Hmmm, i wonder if Krugman believes we see a net economic benefit from tearing down an entire golf swing to rebuild it ;)? Does Bastiat's broken window fallacy apply to the golf swing?

The funny thing is that 90% of the nonsense I wrote was direct quotes from Foley. Sounds absurd coming from someone else, but when he said it, he left the golf press gushing.

And for the record, I do have a man-crush on Thomas Sowell.

Status
Not open for further replies.