O'Hair leaves swing coach Foley - Brian Manzella response p4

Status
Not open for further replies.
"I got a question, if you guys know so much about women how come you're here at like a Gas & Sip on a Saturday night, completely alone, drinking beers, no women anywhere?"

Great movie, but not as good as Better Off Dead.

"I want my two dollars."

Brian Manzella

Administrator
"I got a question, if you guys know so much about women how come you're here at like a Gas & Sip on a Saturday night, completely alone, drinking beers, no women anywhere?"

You aren't talking to me, bcoak.

Just making sure the non-regulars know this....

Sean Foley on Tiger, Haney, his philosophy (and Bubba)

Good interview with Sean Foley on Irish radio station Newstalk. It's quite long and in depth - plenty of reading in it! Foley sounded like a decent enough guy and was quite open about his opinions etc.

Listen: Tuesday May 10 - Listen Live | Newstalk 106-108fm Media Player (Part 2 from 4.55).

Read: Irish Golf Desk - News - Sean Foley to Bubba: "You probably shouldn

The Highlights:

On Tiger 1: We’ve had four knee surgeries, some issues with both ankles. Tiger works out like a professional and working out is great and you will get fit from it, but you will also have breakdown. Think about how many balls he has hit by the time he is 35. There is no way to do it without injury.

So it took me a little while to understand what he could and couldn’t do and I feel like now that we are at is we are headed in a nice direction. I saw at Augusta him playing the game more than plain swinging and people said he should have just done that from the start. Well he couldn’t. He was hitting the ball so far out to the right and left that he couldn’t. He had to be technical for a while so he could build some proper moving patterns and from there, when he is able to free it up…..

But the thing that upsets me about the whole Tiger situation is that we are talking about a guy who when he came on tour they were playing for a $69 million purse and I think this year they are playing for $292 million dollars.

So the lack of respect he has got through everything he has been through, and obviously he did what he did and that’s fine, I’m not to judge him. If I am to look in the mirror at myself I have enough things that I have to deal with with myself. You know, it’s just been amazing. The fall from grace and how the media has treated him and how it has all went (sic). The guy’s name alone has brought like $600 million to charity.

So they only paint one side of the picture. They keep taking about his swing and talking about his swing but on the weekend at Augusta he hit 31 of 36 greens and 24 of 28 fairways so, he is definitely headed in the right direction and when he starts putting a little bit better he is the greatest player ever. You can’t hold him back. I don’t think it matters who coaches him, as soon as he gets used to their style, he is Tiger Woods.

On Bubba: I mean, Bubba Watson says two days ago that Tiger is going the wrong way with his game and he’s getting too technical. Bubba is like, ‘I just go out and hit it, I don’t have a coach, I don’t know anything about my swing, I just go out and hit.’ He has the right to his own opinion but you probably shouldn’t make comments about a guy who has won 69 more times than you and you are virtually the same age. You know what I mean?

Q So you are angry about what Bubba Watson said?

I wouldn’t say angry. I would just say, bud, you won three times the last 10 months, I am really pleased for you. You have worked hard and I think it is a great thing that you are playing so well. But why do you feel the need that you have to get the attention? What’s the use in making that comment? Let the guy do what he’s doing and you do what you’re doing and it will be fine. There is absolutely zero need for him to make that comment. But you know, Bubba loves the camera anyway so, I mean, whatever.

On Tiger/Haney:

Q You had a well publicised spat with Hank Haney, Tiger Woods’ previous coach. Talking about what Tiger had been doing as making no sense to you and he hit back through Twitter. Was that an unwelcome distraction for you with what you are trying to do with Tiger Woods?

With all my guys, I am going to defend them. That’s what coaches do in all sports. They’ll take the pressure off. I remember a few years ago, the Lakers weren’t playing good and Phil Jackson took the blame even though we might know that they might not have been showing up at practice and they might not have been working that hard or they might have been having too much fun. He deflected the attention onto himself and the fact is that I am here to stand up for all my guys.

On Tiger's swing under Haney All I said was that I didn’t understand what they were trying to do. I didn’t understand why you got the grip so weak, why you started the face to the right so much, why you clockwise rotate the left arm so much to the point that the face is so far open now.

If you are trying to hit a fade and the face is so open, you will fade it. But it is going to start 40 yards right before it fades. So I just said I didn’t understand what they were working on.

To be honest with you, I didn’t look at that as a bash. The fact of the matter is that under Hank’s watch, Tiger won a lot of tournaments and a lot of majors and I may not be able to say that one day.

On.....himself:

Q You are not afraid to be brash, shake things up and take people on. Is that a fair assessment?

Everything you would know about me until now would be something you read so I am going to be true to myself. People say, you are so outspoken. I say look, we are living in a world with racism, financial crisis, hunger. I think everyone is underspoken. There are problems we need to talk about.

So I guess when I come out and say some of the things that I do in a kind of a censored industry, it makes it look like I am so radical but it wasn’t anything different to anyone in any other business or doctors or anything like that.

So it’s how people take it and how people spin it. I walked with a guy yesterday for 6 holes and when we got done he is like, ‘Man you are the complete opposite of every article I have read about you.’ And I am like, ‘That’s generally the case.’

On Tiger 2:

Q Is he still angry with himself for not winning the Masters when he put himself in with a shout?

I don’t know. We see Tiger once in a while on TV and he’ll get pissed off or upset or whatever. But he’s got a really short memory for stuff like that.

Last edited:
Foley on O'Hair (yesterday on Irish radio):

Q You have just split with Sean O’Hair. Are there any personal issues or is that just a personal decision between you guys?

It was Sean’s decision. I love Sean O’Hair. He is such a talent and he’s a great kid. He has been through so much in his life as a young kid and to get to where he has got to is very impressive. We worked for 33 months together and I think we amassed about $10 million in earnings.

Not so long ago at this tournament we got to 12th in the world and it just hasn’t been working lately, for whatever reason. I have to take partial responsibility, he does what I am telling him. But you are very lucky in life if you have one or two or three relationships that last the extent of your life and this is the same as anything else.

Sometimes people have heard your voice for too long and it doesn’t have as much substance any more. There’s a number of reasons why players aren’t playing well and sometimes it’s coaching and sometimes it’s the caddie or whatever. I wish Sean all the best in the future and it’s been mutually beneficial for both of us in our lives to have met each other and we will continue to be friends. I will cheer for Sean louder than anyone.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
If you tell someone the right thing for them, they will never leave you.

Figuring out that "thing" is the hard part.

That's TEACHING baby.

I've had way more than my share of outright failures on my part.

I just lose a bunch of sleep, get all riled up by some internet crap, dig harder, and try to improve.

You have to be ready...you never know when you might get a shot—or a second or third shot.

On Tiger's swing under Haney All I said was that I didn't understand what they were trying to do. I didn't understand why you got the grip so weak, why you started the face to the right so much, why you clockwise rotate the left arm so much to the point that the face is so far open now.

If you are trying to hit a fade and the face is so open, you will fade it. But it is going to start 40 yards right before it fades. So I just said I didn’t understand what they were working on.

I am very confused. Didn't Richie3Jack say that Tiger's grip was too strong (not too weak)?

I am very confused. Didn't Richie3Jack say that Tiger's grip was too strong (not too weak)?

no he said too weak

I believe the reason Haney did that was Tiger could not snap through it after the first knee surgery anymore and started hooking it so this was there way to compensate. Not say that is correct but its what I heard Haney state after the breakup.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
I repeat:

If you tell someone the right thing for them, they will never leave you.

Figuring out that "thing" is the hard part.

That's TEACHING baby.

I've had way more than my share of outright failures on my part.

I just lose a bunch of sleep, get all riled up by some internet crap, dig harder, and try to improve.

You have to be ready...you never know when you might get a shot—or a second or third shot.

no he said too weak

I believe the reason Haney did that was Tiger could not snap through it after the first knee surgery anymore and started hooking it so this was there way to compensate. Not say that is correct but its what I heard Haney state after the breakup.

WOW, I may be only 29, but I'm becoming an old man with a poor memory. Thanks for setting me straight, gmbtempe.

Foley - Firing back at Bubba

Woods camp fires back over Bubba critique

Bubba Watson, who once played dozens of practice rounds with Woods and still considers him a friend, raised eyebrows last week when he said the fading former world No. 1 is going down the wrong road with his myriad swing changes.

For months, players have offered unbridled and honest opinions of Woods -- a topic that had them walking on eggshells for 15 years, lest they draw his ire -- but Woods and his camp began fighting back this week at the Players Championship.

On an Irish radio show, Woods' new swing coach Sean Foley quickly mounted a counter-assault when asked about the comments from Watson, who has three victories since last fall to climb to No. 11 in the rankings. Appearing on a Dublin talk show to promote his instructional DVD, Foley fired a sarcastic fastball at Watson's noggin. The comments were first reported on the Irish Golf Desk website.

“He has the right to his own opinion but you probably shouldn’t make comments about a guy who has won 69 more times than you and you are virtually the same age," Foley was quoted as saying. "You know what I mean?”

More excerpts from the Canadian coach: "I would just say, 'Bud, you won three times the last 10 months, I am really pleased for you. You have worked hard and I think it is a great thing that you are playing so well. But why do you feel the need that you have to get the attention? What’s the use in making that comment?"

Foley then took a personal shot at Watson, characterizing him as a publicity hound.

“Let the guy do what he’s doing and you do what you’re doing and it will be fine," Foley said. "There is absolutely zero need for him to make that comment. But you know, Bubba loves the camera anyway so, I mean, whatever.”

Watson already realized the nature of last week's off-the-cuff comments about Woods -- he was never asked about Tiger directly before offering the opinion that Woods is too wrapped up in the mental side of the game and swing changes -- long before he arrived at the Players Championship this week.

"I'll just go ahead and say it," Watson said at the Wells Fargo Championship last week. "I think Tiger is going the wrong way. I think he's so mental right now with his swing. Just go out there and play golf. He used to hit shots, used to bomb it, used to do all that stuff. In 2000 and '97 I think he did pretty good. He won the Masters by 48 shots or whatever he won it by. But I think sometimes he gets carried away on that. And a lot of guys do."

On Tuesday at TPC Sawgrass, Watson said he had spoken with Woods' management about the comments to make sure he hadn't napalmed his bridge with Tiger, who dropped to No. 8 in the world this week.

"I just talked to his agent, and I talked to another person in his camp last week and told them that I didn't say anything wrong. I just said my opinion, and the media runs with it," Watson said.

For context, his Woods comments last week were the result of a query about Sean O'Hair and Foley splitting. Watson has never used a swing coach.

"I just told him [his management] that, look, you know me. I'm good friends with you," Watson said. "I've been a supporter of you the whole time I've been a pro and have known you. So I'm here for you, but I didn't do anything wrong.

"So yeah, the camp says I'm okay, but I haven't talked to the boss yet."

Woods was not doing cartwheels about the comments when he arrived at the Players Championship on Tuesday, and not just because he has a sore knee.

"That was interesting," Woods said tersely when the comments were broached.

Rest assured that the two will speak in person, Woods said.

"We'll talk," Woods said curtly.

I am so tired of this crap. It's all the media can talk about, Tiger this Tiger that, Tiger hit a hook today, Tiger took a piss today, Tiger frowned at Bubba today. Bubba had to call the management company? Seriously? I wonder if he called Kelly (Chief Tiger Woods Apologist) Tilghman and apologized to her too. You can't say a damn word to the media without them blowing it up into something that will sell papers. It just wears me the truck out.

Rant Over.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
This is all such a joke.

But, like always, I'll make sense out of it:

1. Nobody cares that Sean likes rap.

2. O'Hair is hitting it lke shit. That's why they all leave.

3. Tiger is doing much better, and may win this week.

4. Bubba Watson is at least partially correct, and it is still a free country.

5. If David doesn't win, I hope Bubba does. If he doesn't win, I hope Fowler does. If he doesn't, I hope Tiger wins by 10 and ends all this crap.

6. Thanks for the mention, Sean.​

I assume the mention came in the audio? I only saw the text on mentioning James Leitz. Cool that he will shout out names, most guys in it for just themselves wouldnt say boo about who rhet talked to or learned from.

Status
Not open for further replies.