One Thing....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
Brian has said many times that one thing in a golfers swing can be fixed and allow the golfers swing to start working properly.

Brian recently suggested that I try to keep my right side straighter and not get into right side bend so soon in the downswing. Being a chronic underplaner I am prone to hitting a lot of pull hooks and big pushes.

This "one thing" has me hitting the ball as well as I have ever hit it in my life. My scores and stats reflect this.

What is your "one thing" that helped your swing?

Well, one thing that sure helped me today when playing a competition was when I after three holes that went crap (+9 :O , but I wasn't really awake, early start) remembered not to make any conscious release of my wrists. Just that one thing made me start hitting shots with a tour-like penetrating ball flight. The holes after remembering that featured what was probably my best ball striking ever (although I sometimes hit the ball to far, like that 165 yard 9 iron that was supposed to be 155 yards).

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Glad I could help, JW.

Here is the "ONE THING" that help my swing:

DON'T WORRY ABOUT....

• where my body goes in the backswing
• how my arms get to the top
• what my body does on the downswing except what it feels like in my belly and hands through impact with shots off of the ground, and the cut feel in my body with a driver.
• trying to lag it
• trying to throw it
• impact fix
• my plane
• my address position except for a mini-vague aim
• right or left side
• swinging or hitting

Really.

Probably understanding that the swing is really reactionary and that what golfers do isn't right or wrong, but more or less they make one move or action and that causes them to make another reaction. Essentially, understanding what we more or less are attempting to do and how compensations play a role in the swing.

That has helped me a ton.

3JACK

Brian has said many times that one thing in a golfers swing can be fixed and allow the golfers swing to start working properly.

Brian recently suggested that I try to keep my right side straighter and not get into right side bend so soon in the downswing. Being a chronic underplaner I am prone to hitting a lot of pull hooks and big pushes.

This "one thing" has me hitting the ball as well as I have ever hit it in my life. My scores and stats reflect this.

What is your "one thing" that helped your swing?

Brian said it to me as 'keep the bend in the left side longer into the DS'. I didn't really get it at that moment, but I see it now. That piece of info has probably helped more than anything else we talked about in my lessons.

what it feels like in my belly and hands through impact with shots off of the ground, and the cut feel in my body with a driver.

I over do everything I focus on and my swing changes so fast I hardly get to enjoy the time in the middle. For now this above is mine. Feel like a cut with the body but draw with my hands.

dknc

New
I just read an article on Golf Digest about Golf's biggest breakups. One of them was Mickelson and Rick Smith. They have a quote from Phil saying to Smith "Can you just give me one thing?" Apparently he couldn't so he dropped him for Butch.

I just read an article on Golf Digest about Golf's biggest breakups. One of them was Mickelson and Rick Smith. They have a quote from Phil saying to Smith "Can you just give me one thing?" Apparently he couldn't so he dropped him for Butch.

And then Butch told him to keep his head down.

Well, one thing that sure helped me today when playing a competition was when I after three holes that went crap (+9 :O , but I wasn't really awake, early start) remembered not to make any conscious release of my wrists. Just that one thing made me start hitting shots with a tour-like penetrating ball flight. The holes after remembering that featured what was probably my best ball striking ever (although I sometimes hit the ball to far, like that 165 yard 9 iron that was supposed to be 155 yards).

Have you had a urine test lately Olaf?

Something rotten in ...

Drew

I can't wait until I can count this for me.....haven't been on trackman yet.

5 months ago, I was completely lost. I couldn't play consecutive rounds with the same swing. Whatever I managed to get to work on the range before going out was my swing du jour. I was painfully stuck between what I read, what I saw, and what I felt.

Two things happened since then, and are responsible for the best tournament golf of my life. 1) I got to spend some time with Brian in March. We spent a few minutes on my swing and I got to see how he dovetailed TM data with what worked for my motion. I also got to watch him do the same to a number of other golfers. That combined experience of observation and participation is something I still draw on every time I go to the range. 2) Upgrading my FS to the X2. I'm feeling, for the first time in my life, what zeros are and what I need to do to see more of them. The amount of curvature that has disappeared from my ball flight is enough to make me giggle. Seeing the cold data on every swing is like improving in a microwave, you "get" things so much faster. The tool allows me to keep on the path (pun intended) Brian showed me in March.

I haven't turned on my Casio in months, and I don't really know what my current form looks like (really wouldn't know what to change if I did). But I am getting better at predicting what my "relationships" are for a given swing before taking a peak at the screen. That's been something I've been able to benefit from on the course.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
A. Putting slack in my swing at the top
B. Getting the shaft under the plane of the handpath in the downswing

Automated squaring, baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.