One Thing....

Status
Not open for further replies.

footwedge

Good stuff. Don't know if you felt the same way but I felt that I had to really slow my swing down or I really didn't feel the need to swing hard. It felt like after I did my thing in transition everything else just happened. The guy in the stall next to me even made a comment that my swing looked so easy and that he couldn't swing that light. This is such a weird change from my normal thrash at the ball. Any ideas?

For me it's the exact opposite move then what I did before in transition and now it seems easy to get that club to tumble out and square the face, it's easier to feel the weight of the clubhead in transition against my right index finger which then seems to trigger the tumble and squaring of the clubface later in the d.s. If any of that makes sense? So far so good.

lia41985

For me it's the exact opposite move then what I did before in transition and now it seems easy to get that club to tumble out and square the face, it's easier to feel the weight of the clubhead in transition against my right index finger which then seems to trigger the tumble and squaring of the clubface later in the d.s. If any of that makes sense? So far so good.
Hey bud! Your post struck a chord with me. After reading your description I imagined it very well in my mind's eye. I'm going to hit some balls on Monday with this in mind. Thanks :)

You nailed it Foot...for me once i feel that club load on the index finger it feels like my swing is done...that's b/c I am not manipulating it square anymore...at least that's how it feels. I dunno if what I am doing is tumbling or not but I know I am not fighting the damn thing anymore. Pure bliss. I am almost afraid to play golf tomorrow.

footwedge

You nailed it Foot...for me once i feel that club load on the index finger it feels like my swing is done...that's b/c I am not manipulating it square anymore...at least that's how it feels. I dunno if what I am doing is tumbling or not but I know I am not fighting the damn thing anymore. Pure bliss. I am almost afraid to play golf tomorrow.

Just don't over think it and if it goes south a bit don't panic , bad shots are going to happen no matter what, good luck.

footwedge

Hey bud! Your post struck a chord with me. After reading your description I imagined it very well in my mind's eye. I'm going to hit some balls on Monday with this in mind. Thanks :)

Hope it works out for you, I don't think this is for everyone, I know if you don't get the club to tumble back later in the d.s. after the initial transition move it can get very ugly...lol.

lia41985

Hope it works out for you, I don't think this is for everyone, I know if you don't get the club to tumble back later in the d.s. after the initial transition move it can get very ugly...lol.
Yeah, I'm not optimistic that it'll be for me. I'm fairly certain that I need to change my setup first. I think I need to tinker with a setup in which my hands are hanging outside of my shoulders. Also, it's going to feel very different to have my hands and arms falling more behind me. With my current pattern I never feel "stuck"/out of room/jammed up (although I obviously "goat hump" the heck out of it). I don't know if that Brendan Steele-esque lay off move will work for me (he's obviously playing well but he still humps goats).

Last edited:

footwedge

Yeah, I'm not optimistic that it'll be for me. I'm fairly certain that I need to change in my setup first. I think I need to tinker with a setup in which my hands are hanging outside of my shoulders.

You can try it and see if it works or makes things worse, video it and see what it does to your swing might be interesting if nothing else. If it's no good you can dump it in the scrap pile. I have hardly any room left in my scrap heap with all the stuff I have tried to no avail. I wonder if I could recycle:D

Yeah, I'm not optimistic that it'll be for me. I'm fairly certain that I need to change in my setup first. I think I need to tinker with a setup in which my hands are hanging outside of my shoulders. Also, it's going to feel very different to have my hands and arms falling more behind me. With my current pattern I never feel "stuck"/out of room/jammed up (although I obviously "goat hump" the heck out of it). I don't know if that Brendan Steele-esque lay off move will work for me (he's obviously playing well but he still humps goats).

Since he's your model, why not adopt a more similar set up to JD?

footwedge

Oh! I just saw your edit, goat humping is a baaaaaaaaaaad thing unless of course your a goat then it's a very, very baaaaaaad thing.:eek:

Couldn't resist, one of my favorite topics is farm animals, don't ask ,no ,no I meant the book Animal Farm, great book.:D

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
remember that if you are going to try and lay it off in transition make sure your backswing isn't already laid off; laid off backswings + laid off transitions = no bueno

lia41985

remember that if you are going to try and lay it off in transition make sure your backswing isn't already laid off; laid off backswings + laid off transitions = no bueno
My swing is so long it's hard to say whether I'm laid off or not. I'm across the line but with the club so far past parallel. If you only saw the first half of my backswing you'd think I'd be really flat and/or laid off. I time the ups and ins of my backswing strangely.

Take us through how you got to this point ffejeff

Whenever I used to play golf I would always try to guide, or hit the golf ball in the direction I wanted it to go until... I was out on the course one day when I hit several terrible slices and chunked a few pretty bad. Honestly, I was just sick and tired of hitting piss poor golf shot when I felt like I was just barely missing something. Then I almost gave up and stood in the fairway thinking what in the (place explicative here) do I need to do to square this face. I realized that I was leaving the LAFW wayyyy open and that is why I had struggled with a slices and chunks for so long (to hit the ball straight with this move I would have to super arch my lead wrist or swing far enough inside out to counter act the open face). So instead of putting it in my pocket I just focused on feeling like I was trying to point the toe of the club straight out away from me and I hit the most beautiful crisp draw I had ever hit. For the rest of the day I just kept thinking "throw the sweetspot out away from you." At the time I didn't realize it, but I was figuring out for the first time how to tumble properly.

For me I guess it was giving up the notion that you have to swing at the target for the ball to go there. If your clubface is relatively square, and your resultant path is relatively square, the ball WILL go straight. I mean I still make a move and transfer my wieght towards the target, but I feel like I am not trying to guide the ball anymore. Now I rely more on trust in my golfswing and knowing that if I make the right move on it, the ball is going to go where I want it to go.

Last edited:

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
Learning how to kick the sweetspot out via the arms as opposed to the pivot is key to learning to tumble correctly

when you get the sweetspot out to the ball via rotation of the pivot, lots of bad things can happen and being underplane is most likely going to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.