OT - March Madness Challenge? A Manzella group?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brian or Mods, please feel to delete if you desire....

Very, very OT from golf instruction, but... Let's have some fun!

Any interest in having a March Madness challenge for those of us here using ESPN?

Here are my thoughts..
1. I created a Group called Manzella. (Search for "Manzella".)
2. You join the group and pick your teams. The password is the name of Brain's little orange friend (hint: starts with 't'; one word; all lowercase)
3. You must use your Manzella forum screen name. (That way, only Brian or one of his mods will know real names and email addys.)
4. Limit of one (1) entry per person.
5. There is no entry fee. Yes!!!!!!!!
6. I, through my Company, will award $US500.00 to the winner. Tiebreakers based on ESPN rules.
Payments will be made through PayPal or such other way that is easy and secure. I don't care to know who you are if you prefer to only be known by your screen name. (I realize this is the most difficult aspect of this contest. We will find a way.)
7. Brackets must be submitted by the deadline specified by ESPN (essentially, start of the tournament on Thursday).
8. Rules, per ESPN, apply. ESPN - Tournament Challenge - ESPN's NCAA Men's Bracket Game - Official Rules
9. FYI - Tiebreakers, per ESPN:
Tiebreaker #1 - An Entrant's predicted Tiebreaker Game Score is compared to the actual game score. The differences (absolute values only) between the predicted score and actual score for each team are added together into a combined total. The entry with the smallest total is considered the winning entry.
Tiebreaker #2 - The Entrant's predicted score for the winning team that is closest to the actual score of the winning team is considered the winning entry.
Tiebreaker #3 - Number of points scored in Championship Round.
Tiebreaker #4 - Number of points scored in Round 6.
Tiebreaker #5 - Number of points scored in Round 5.
Tiebreaker #6 - Number of points scored in Round 4.
Tiebreaker #7 - Number of points scored in Round 3.
Tiebreaker #8 - Number of points scored in Round 2. Tiebreaker #9 - The Entrant whose date of entry creation was recorded in the system the earliest.

I hope I've thought of the big things. Anything I've missed?

Oh... Yes, I will enter and *can* win, but if this like my golf competition I'll be at the back of the pack. :mad: If I win
any amount, I will donate my winnings to First Tee of Pittsburgh, PA.

Last edited:

ZAP

New
Sounds cool to me. I already am in another group but I did not pick my brackets yet.

Mine is the ZAP71 entry. I really wish I knew how to change my name on here. Anyone know how?

Last edited:

jimmyt

New
Where do you find the Manzella Group? I went to the espn link provided and searched for "Manzella Group" could not locate.

Thanks for asking. I'm OK. My surgeon told me a week or so ago, I could definitely chip and putt; today, he told I can swing a little, but practice sessions are a NO-NO (what? no 2-3 hours hitting from mats?).. will be mid-April for that (hmmmm... +70* in Pittsburgh... that means I can start playing a little??)..

Unfortunately, there's a not so small problem with possible nerve damage as I do not have full use of my right arm.. have to "hike" the right shoulder in the swing, according to Kevin...will know more after EKG and MRI of right shoulder what the deal is... visited both PT @ UPMC Sports Center and my surgeon today... highly likely it's palsy of the Supra Scapular Nerve or a problem w/deltoid... Thank goodness for Percoset... and Yuengling Lager.

Note - For those who are "Huh?" I had cervical neck surgery on Feb 10th.. 2 herniated disks and bone spurs.. replaced 2 disks and added metal plate.. medical description - Anterior Cervical Discectomy & Fusion. I have NO problem with others knowing about my condition. I can work.. I can't play golf (for now). :mad:

I am in. Thank you for your generousity and I wish you well in your recovery. I had a ruptured L4-L5 disk surgically repaired two years ago. Not near the severity of your procedure, but I can relate a little bit.

Duckjr78 is Duckjr78, BTW.

Last edited:
Awesome. Very generous!

It looks like we may get another chapter between our teams in Atlanta if all goes well. :)

Awesome. Very generous!

It looks like we may get another chapter between our teams in Atlanta if all goes well. :)

While I'd love to see Duke beatdown Kentucky, I don't think Duke has enough this year. :( Actually, I have Kentucky over Kansas in the NC game.

Love it!

Is there a way to see ouf folks' brackets, maybe even print them off? Love seeing the upset predictions.

Communicated via email to ESPN Manzella group members as of ~7:25EST. Effective immediately for all current and future participants.
---------------------------
Please note this group is for registered members of the Manzella Forum only. Since I have offered a monetary prize, any Winner(s) will need to be confirmed in a manner in my sole discretion. This may include reviewing and confirming your sign-up date with the Manzella Forum.

<O:p</O:p
I initially requested you pick your brackets using your Manzella Forum screen name. However, I then realized some may have a different ESPN screen name than on Manzella since you may have already had an ESPN account. That is the reason for this communication.
A little extra juice..
I will add an extra $100 to Brian and/or an Admin Mod for his/her assistance in confirming identities. I don't want or need to know someone's real identity. All I want is assurance that the winnings are going to a qualified individual(s). [Darn. I didn't need to hire an attorney, did I?]
Any questions and/or concerns should be sent via PM at Manzella.
Now, let's have some fun over the next several weeks!
KGlennCole

I picked West Virginia to take the whole thing down. :)

I have WVU to the Elite Eight losing to Syracuse (a team WVU beat this year except for a bogus goal-tending call).. of course, I'm both a WVU undergrad and a Duke grad alum. [Suck on it, mgranato!! :p Although I do have Duke losing to Kentucky. :mad: If Duke beats Kentucky, I'll buy mgranato a CASE of beer.. good stuff, too, like Smitwick's.]

WVU is a complete mystery.. I think they have done more than expected, especially with 7 freshmen (now 6 since McCune left the squad earlier this week).

Let's have some fun!!!!!

Last edited:
Just so everyone knows, you can change your entry name to match your forum name. Just go into your bracket and click "edit entry settings". You can change the name in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.