Plane Angles, Lines, and Shifts....MANZELLA MATRIX style

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the commentary is correct....

And I mean the TV commentary in the Youtube video posted by Hot chilli ...not BM analysis!!

...Well seems like most of Arnold's swings on the Youtube were mis-hits!!

"Hit under it"..."barely carried the lake".... etc...now the history of golf commentary is littered with poor TV analysis but you could see where the ball was landing...and Palmer's shots were not so hot on THAT day...

Does his swing on THAT day show some weakness to explain his mis-hits??

JeffM

Brian - haven't you drawn the elbow plane too low in the Palmer photos? I noticed that it almost goes through the belt buckle. Consider another one of your photos.

MATRIXPLANES1.jpg

Note that the hand plane goes through the belt buckle and the elbow plane goes through the mid-back (roughly at a point that is close to the junction of the lumbar spine and thoracic spine).

Using you plane-photo as a guide, I plotted the hand/clubshaft movement of Palmer and Hogan - see next photo.

HoganPalmerHands.jpg

The green line is the elbow plane and the red line is the turned shoulder plane. One can see that Palmer's hands move from point A (end-backswing) to point B (impact) and that point A is just below the turned shoulder plane and point B is on the elbow plane. By contrast, Hogan's point A is more below the turned shoulder plane and point B is below the elbow plane. Also, the angle between Hogan's elbow plane and turned shoulder plane is smaller, and therefore there is less angular shift between point A and point B - even though both appear to have single shift swings.

Jeff.

Last edited:
JeffMan,

It looks like you've drawn Palmer's TSP line too high. Also, I don't see much difference in the elbow plane lines that you and Brian have drawn.

Also, it seems like Hogan's elbow plane line is WAY too high. You draw the elbow plane line based on impact.

JeffM

Holeout

I agree that the turned shoulder plane line that I drew is slightly too high relative to the right shoulder in Palmer swing. Note that Palmer's elbow plane goes through the mid-back, and it is passes higher than the belt buckle - while Brian's elbow plane line nearly passes through Palmer's belt bucke.

I drew the elbow plane lines based on the elbow position at address, and not based on ANY impact position.

Jeff.

Last edited:
Holeout

I agree that the turned shoulder plane line that I drew is slightly too high relative to the right shoulder in Palmer swing. Note that Palmer's elbow plane goes through the mid-back, and it is passes higher than the belt buckle - while Brian's elbow plane line nearly passes through Palmer's belt bucke.

I drew the elbow plane lines based on the elbow position at address, and not based on ANY impact position.

Jeff.

Jeff,

Gotcha. I'm not sure why the elbow plane higher on yours. However, it seems like the video you got the pictures from is shot from down the "ball-target" line whereas Brians is more of a "through the hands" position. This would definitely account for the change we're seeing.

Why didn't you draw the elbow plane line based on impact?

JeffM

holeout

I drew the elbow plane line based on address, and not impact, because that presumably is part of the definition of an elbow plane line (see Brian's photo of the address position and the different plane lines - note that the elbow plane line goes through the right elbow and the hand line goes through the hands at address).

Jeff.

holeout

I drew the elbow plane line based on address, and not impact, because that presumably is part of the definition of an elbow plane line (see Brian's photo of the address position and the different plane lines - note that the elbow plane line goes through the right elbow and the hand line goes through the hands at address).

Jeff.

What is the point of splitting hairs? There are an infinite number of planes. Each golfers elbow plane may be slightly different.

Elbow plane is supposed to be drawn at impact as per Brian's post in this thread and the analysis in the Arnold Palmer audio.

Last edited:
Phil Mickelson's Plane changes...

This time Peter Costas has something?
Plane indicator?
It looks ok...

Phil Mickelson Video -

The plane indicator is neat but I think Kostis could learn a few things about the swing plane by reading this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.