Quiros' Swing, Elbow Plane, Biomechanics, and NEW Manzella BLOG!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a clip of Quiros at 420fps taken yesterday. Very, very impressive in the flesh.

<embed width="672" height="490" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i238.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid238.photobucket.com/albums/ff139/jaridyard/AlvaroQuiroz.flv">

Ok, this might sound stupid, but to me this looks like a pretty standard swing that doesn't look super powerful (compared to nicklaus, daly or sadlowski for example), but because he does it quicker than just about everyone else he gets loads of clubhead speed.

Ok, this might sound stupid, but to me this looks like a pretty standard swing that doesn't look super powerful (compared to nicklaus, daly or sadlowski for example), but because he does it quicker than just about everyone else he gets loads of clubhead speed.

Yeah, that's what really impresses me. He doesn't seem to be straining himself yet he mashes it. Pretty cool.

PGA Tour or not he has a longer driver dictance than either the PGA or EuroPga. I doubt that the Nationwide tour courses are that much better than what the Euros play on(Dubai,Valderamma etc..) Not sure I buy the course condition argument. Are american plyers better putters than Euros because we have nicer greens?

Just pointing out that this guy hits it farther on average.

I agree that the fairway speed will not be a factor, BUT...

From what I read, the Nationwide Tour is played on courses where on average the rough is much less severe, thus the penalties for missing the fairway are less, thus the pro's can swing more aggressively leading to this guy having the longest driving number.

I would like to hear from the guys here who have played on the Nationwide whether that is a fair analysis.

Regardless, Alviro seem's to be a cool guy, and I love his attitude to the game , at the end of the day, he's an entertainer, I'd pay just to watch him mash it down a par 5. Good luck to him.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
I had a conversation with a Nationwide Tour official when I volunteered at the Chattanooga Classic. The official told me that first and foremost the Nationwide tour is a developmental tour, therefore they want to try and develop players not destroy them, that is the job of the majors.

Because of this "developmental" attitude, most Nationwide tour courses are set up fairly easy with little rough and to teach the players on that tour to "go low" and get used to making a lot of birdies.

I had a conversation with a Nationwide Tour official when I volunteered at the Chattanooga Classic. The official told me that first and foremost the Nationwide tour is a developmental tour, therefore they want to try and develop players not destroy them, that is the job of the majors.

Because of this "developmental" attitude, most Nationwide tour courses are set up fairly easy with little rough and to teach the players on that tour to "go low" and get used to making a lot of birdies.

Seems logical, do they ever set up courses identical to pga tour courses to give them some experience of playing a course that difficult

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
Seems logical, do they ever set up courses identical to pga tour courses to give them some experience of playing a course that difficult

There are a couple of tournaments that are a bit more difficult, as I asked the same question. The response I got was the big payout Tournament near Chicago and the Nationwide Tour Championship are set up a touch more difficult, but still not PGA Tour conditions, and for the most part I was told that "most" tournaments on the regular tour aren't set up for max difficulty either...but they are more difficult than the Nationwide events.

lia41985

Found some awesome new footage of my boy:
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SMMhP2NJA_M&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SMMhP2NJA_M&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Great video. Many thanks.

What a great looking swing. I see lots of lag that seems to be created by a float load. I recall a recent post where Kevin Shields had suggested float loading as a way to get that right elbow in a little closer to the body. If you look at the sequence starting at 24 secs. he looks like he's going to drive his elbow into his hip. Does it look like Hogan to anyone else?

ZAP

New
That is simply ridiculous. I do find some of the action interesting. Going back to watch it again.

Great video, wish the angles were a little better...Notice how his right knee really works toward his left leg, almost stays glued to it during the downswing.

Regarding conditions.... fairways , course setup have nothing to do with it obviously. It's the atmospheric\weather conditions, balls fly alot further in warm, dry air, so drives will always be longer on the USPGA tour.

Actually, at the same temperature, the ball travels farther at higher humidity. The difference between 85% humidity and 20% humidity at 85 degrees is only about 1.3 yards for a drive that carries 256 yards.

The reason for this is the fact that at higher humidity, there is a greater proportion of water vapor. Water vapor is less dense than the major gases in the atmosphere (Nitrogen, Oxygen) and therefore the air is less dense. Less dense air offers less drag and less lift, the combination which results in slightly more distance.

Actually, at the same temperature, the ball travels farther at higher humidity. The difference between 85% humidity and 20% humidity at 85 degrees is only about 1.3 yards for a drive that carries 256 yards.

The reason for this is the fact that at higher humidity, there is a greater proportion of water vapor. Water vapor is less dense than the major gases in the atmosphere (Nitrogen, Oxygen) and therefore the air is less dense. Less dense air offers less drag and less lift, the combination which results in slightly more distance.

Thanks for this. As a Chemistry graduate I feel I should have known (but did not).

Further reading for those scientifically inclined:

The density of a gas is proportional to the weight of a single molecule of
that gas.

So you can figure relative density for yourself if you start learning a few
atomic weights:
H=1, N=14, O=16.

Add them up for the molecular weights of pure gases:
H2 = (1+1) = 2, very light
He = (4) = 4, very light
N2 = (14+14 ) = 28, about neutral
O2 = (16+16) = 32, slightly heavy
H2O= (2*1+16) = 18, light (steam)

For mixed gases just take a proportionate average:
e.g.
  • Air is 80% N2 + 20% O2 .
  • Dry Air mass (0% humidity) = 0.8(28) + 0.2(32) = 29
  • Wet Air (100% humidity is approx 3% water vapour, other 97% is N2 & O2 split as approximated previously. 80:20
  • 100% humidity air mass = 0.03*18 + (0.97*0.8)*28 + 0.97*0.2*32 = 28.476
Therefore: 100% humidity air is 1.8% lighter than 0% humidity air (at 30C)

Now back to Alviro's swing. Just love it myself.

Now back to Alviro's swing. Just love it myself.[/QUOTE]

I agree. He places a tremendous amount of shaft stress during his delivery. Great "Hula Hula" action which helps provide his impressive lag. Even more impressive in person. I followed him during a practice round at Augusta National last April. He was 50+ yards ahead of his group (Olazabal, Garcia and Jiminez) with his tee ball all day.

Status
Not open for further replies.