Rank the TOP 3 MOST IMPORTANT ELEMENTS of the Golf Swing

Status
Not open for further replies.
To produce effective, competitive full swings in golf, I believe you need 5 and not 3 things: stability, precision, speed, power, and motion. The chief sources of stability are your fingers, thumbs, and arches of your hands producing a stable enough hold on the club, your toes and foot arches sustaining adequate stability under your feet, your postural muscles keeping you erect, and your abdominal muscles instinctively contracting to prevent(and I mean prevent) the slightest degree of excessive incidental rotation, side-bending, flexion, and extension of your spine during the swing. There should be no voluntary effort to produce speed, power, or motion from the muscles that move the spine and there should be no voluntary effort to contract the muscles that stabilize the spine.
The primary source of precision is how you align your primary speed bones, your primary power bones, and your primary motion bones before you apply the primary downswing power to move those bones.
The primary sources of speed in a full swing are the hands hinging around the wrists and the feet hinging around the ankles.The primary sources of power in a classic or orthodox swing are the rear forearm hinging around its elbow and the lower legs hinging around their knees. The primary sources of motion are the various hingings and rotations of the of the upper arms around their shoulder joints, clavicle joints, and scapula joints and the hinging and various rotations of the upper legs around their hip joints and pevic girdle joints.
It seems likely that the primary upper limb power source (the rear forearm and hand flexing and extending) may very well actuate or cause the hand speed, so hand speed may or may not be caused muscularly in and of itself ???. In most elite players, hand speed, however caused, seems to be facilitated primarily by a described (but not rigidly pure in many cases) radial and ulnar deviation of the left hand coupled with simultaneous dorsi-flexion and extension of the right hand. Hand speed (and foot speed) is normally over or zeroed out before impact leaving the power of the rear forearm and the lower legs and the motion of the upper arms and upper legs to accelerate the resultant swing structure through the ball.
The whole system takes great advantage of the capacity of bones to flex against the resistance of the ground under the feet and against the resistance to the motion of the bones themselves before the bones overcome all that resistance to their motion by their own extension. The clubshaft also flexes against the resistance to its own motion and then overcomes this resistance producing shaft extension and an additional source of mechanical speed.
I remain confused about the contribution of intentional or incidental pronation of the left forearm and supination of the right forearm during the backswing and/or in transition and then the subsequent active or passive reversal of those movements during the downswing. I know there isn't much power there, there can be a lot of speed there if done on purpose, but perhaps just adds to motion if more passive. Maybe somebody can help me out as I think many specialty or trick shots may be produced by actively causing or preventing this forearm only motion and some elite players like Corey Pavin seem to have a lot of it to be effective and others like Jim Furyk seem to have very little of it to be effective Thanks

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.