Rick Reilly on Tiger

Status
Not open for further replies.
I couldn't agree more. Why Tiger gets a free pass is amazing, but someone like Woody Austin gets blasted for doing basically the same thing. Biased media - always has been, always will be.

Memo: Tiger cannot walk on water like some people believe.....

I honestly don't have a problem with it. It's not like he's tossing clubs into ponds or breaking clubs over his head. He is a perfectionist (so am I), so I can relate. He doesn't complain or make excuses, he puts 100% blame on himself. Personally, I can't stand the media and I find it amusing to have some dork behind a computer type up an article like this. Tiger has the pressure of the whole world on his shoulders, he expects greatness just like everyone else. The guy puts in 12 hours a day to win championships, if he gets on himself for playing bad, let him.

I don't mind him dropping the F bomb or swearing. I don't mind when he puts the club in the bag forcefully. I like a bit of emotion. But I don't like when he starts slamming his club on the ground, damaging parts of the tee box when he doesn't need to.

tank

New
I honestly don't have a problem with it. It's not like he's tossing clubs into ponds or breaking clubs over his head. He is a perfectionist (so am I), so I can relate. He doesn't complain or make excuses, he puts 100% blame on himself. Personally, I can't stand the media and I find it amusing to have some dork behind a computer type up an article like this. Tiger has the pressure of the whole world on his shoulders, he expects greatness just like everyone else. The guy puts in 12 hours a day to win championships, if he gets on himself for playing bad, let him.

Couldn't agree more with the above. Hundreds of cameras and microphones aren't following the other players who are stinking out the joint on their way to missing cuts. If they were, you'd see a lot worse than you get from Tiger.
As Curtis alluded to, it comes along with pushing yourself to be perfect, and accepting nothing less.

Another point, if you watched Watson's interview after he lost he mentioned this, "My hat goes off to Tiger for what he has to go through on a weekly basis with all the things pulling at him, as much as he wins and as much as he's in the limelight."

Couldn't agree more with the above. Hundreds of cameras and microphones aren't following the other players who are stinking out the joint on their way to missing cuts. If they were, you'd see a lot worse than you get from Tiger.
As Curtis alluded to, it comes along with pushing yourself to be perfect, and accepting nothing less.

So "pushing yourself to be perfect and accept nothing less" gives someone the right to act this way?

Maybe I'm old school on this one, but I don't remember Nicklaus, Watson, Palmer or others doing things like that. Trevino would joke about his bad shots, not slam clubs on the ground and throw out F-Bombs. Now I know that the media coverage wasn't as great back then, but I remember Palmer saying that he showed too much frustration on the course once and his father almost beat the crap out of him - he never acted like that again. Palmer had a pretty good career acting classy.

jimmyt

New
The reason why you don't remember Palmer, Nicklaus and Watson showing a lot of emotion is because there was not nearly as much TV coverage and they didn't have to deal with hundreds of photographers like the athletes of today (all sports) have to deal with.

tank

New
The reason why you don't remember Palmer, Nicklaus and Watson showing a lot of emotion is because there was not nearly as much TV coverage and they didn't have to deal with hundreds of photographers like the athletes of today (all sports) have to deal with.

Also, the (few) guys who covered the tour back then were pals with the the players. in some cases, they hung around and partied together. For the most part, they went out of their way to improve the players' image. Contrast that with the 'worldwide media' of today who goes out of their way to sensationalize the negative. Tiger is amazing for the game, we are lucky to have him (even with the occasional outburst). As someone said earlier he is human, and does not walk on water. Even though he expects perfection from himself, I'll allow him some imperfection.

Riley said in the article that Woods on the entire tour was one of the few who threw tantrums.

Not hatin, just sayin...

Then Riley needs to pay closer attention.

There are quite a few golfers on Tour that throw big time tantrums. I've seen a couple of pretty well known golfers do things that pale in comparison to what Tiger has done.

The difference between Tiger and the Tour players throwing tantrums vs. most amateurs throwing a tantrum is that Tiger and the Tour players usually let it go by the time they are hitting their very next shot whereas the amateurs (myself included from time to time) tend to let it carry on for a few more shots, or a few more holes or the rest of the round.

Lastly, I think developing the swing that Tiger's has now developed into would cause anybody to have lots of temper tantrums.

3JACK

Also the media nowadays is ALWAYS looking for someone to make a "slip", no matter what that "slip" may be. Whatever they can get to put on the front page or nightly news.

PS How many times have you guys seriously heard Tiger yell the F-bomb?????

Imagine if they put a mic on Tommy Bolt back in the day........lol. Some golfers need to let it out, who cares, can't let everyone act like robots out there.

JeffS

Tiger has a responsibility as a role model to young and old kids not to mention his business interests. When someone makes that kind of money with huge visibility, he has placed his personal and public interests under a microscope. Accept it and make adjustments for socially acceptable behavior. It's a small sacrifice as a political athlete.

tank

New
Tiger has a responsibility as a role model to young and old kids not to mention his business interests. When someone makes that kind of money with huge visibility, he has placed his personal and public interests under a microscope. Accept it and make adjustments for socially acceptable behavior. It's a small sacrifice as a political athlete.

Tiger has a responsibility to be a decent contributing member of society (as we all do). I don't give him or any other professional athlete the responsibility to teach me or my children moral, ethical or political values. Their responsibility as athletes is to entertain us with their performances. If we take inspiration from them in some way, then that's a nice bonus. If they choose to step outside of their chosen sport and endorse a moral, ethical or political cause, then they can be judged on that separately.

Status
Not open for further replies.