Rick Reilly on Tiger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

Zztop

see..they you go. Damn skippy I still have a temper, but I don't have to worry about how it affects people on a message board. But I'm pretty sure I got my point across without dropping an F bomb. Instead of having a reasonable response you make it about me.So what is your point? Typical of this generation. There is always an excuse.

I was kidding, you know joking, they have those in your generation right? :D

you must not have kids. Or you are one. I'm not trying to cram my idea of morals down everybodys throat but he has done more than his part in bringing the game down to the level of the NFL and NBA with his childish antics. I don't give a rats ass about him being a competetor. That's a copout and an lame, weakass excuse. I know because I've struggled with a temper all my life. So I know how hard it is to control.I know where it comes from- something deeper than just being a perfectionist. It comes from not respecting the game, it's traditions, it's history, and especially those that made it possible for him to make millions playing a game. This crap about being a competitor is typical of a society that worships todays celebrity athletes. Phil Mickleson might be a jerk behind the scenes, but he doesn't act like crybaby little bitch when he hit's a bad shot. Win like a man, lose like a man- or retire and leave the game before you sully it when you break Jack's record. He's not even in the team picture when it comes to professionalism. He's a grown ass man. Act like it. I don't care how many majors he wins. I don't care what records he breaks. Golf is a game based on professionalism, honor, sportsmanship and charactor sp? Until he stops showing his ass he will never be the greatest ever. Golf is not about statistics. It's about HOW you play the game. Jack Nicklaus will always be the man. This topic gets my blood pressure up. As hard as it has been for minority's to gain access to the game it disturbs me when one of their icons gives the bigots from the traditionally lilly white golf establishment more ammo to say say I told you so. Unbelievable..

couldnt disagree more

are you serious? It was goofy but showboating? With the way Tiger has pumped his fists and such? What are 16 years old?

I guess I'm just out of touch. It's scary to read so many posts that act like it's OK to behave like a child.

Ray Lewis may be a little OTP but golf has it's own code of ethics. That's why it's the only sport that has rules that are self-enforced. Every time he shows his ass golf gets closer to the NBA or NFL and I played college football at a high level so I speak with a unique perspective.

I don't even know how to respond to some of these posts.

see..they you go. Damn skippy I still have a temper, but I don't have to worry about how it affects people on a message board. But I'm pretty sure I got my point across without dropping an F bomb. Instead of having a reasonable response you make it about me.So what is your point? Typical of this generation. There is always an excuse.

+many

THIS GUY!!!! YOU should post more my friend!!!!

you must not have kids. Or you are one. I'm not trying to cram my idea of morals down everybodys throat but he has done more than his part in bringing the game down to the level of the NFL and NBA with his childish antics. I don't give a rats ass about him being a competetor. That's a copout and an lame, weakass excuse. I know because I've struggled with a temper all my life. So I know how hard it is to control.I know where it comes from- something deeper than just being a perfectionist. It comes from not respecting the game, it's traditions, it's history, and especially those that made it possible for him to make millions playing a game. This crap about being a competitor is typical of a society that worships todays celebrity athletes. Phil Mickleson might be a jerk behind the scenes, but he doesn't act like crybaby little bitch when he hit's a bad shot. Win like a man, lose like a man- or retire and leave the game before you sully it when you break Jack's record. He's not even in the team picture when it comes to professionalism. He's a grown ass man. Act like it. I don't care how many majors he wins. I don't care what records he breaks. Golf is a game based on professionalism, honor, sportsmanship and charactor sp? Until he stops showing his ass he will never be the greatest ever. Golf is not about statistics. It's about HOW you play the game. Jack Nicklaus will always be the man. This topic gets my blood pressure up. As hard as it has been for minority's to gain access to the game it disturbs me when one of their icons gives the bigots from the traditionally lilly white golf establishment more ammo to say say I told you so. Unbelievable..

Wow, top notch post. No F-bombs but let's see:

rats ass, weakass, crap, jerk, crybaby little bitch, ass, ass,

Let me ask YOU a question. DO YOU HAVE ANY KIDS OR ARE YOU A KID?

Not that I feel like I have to answer yours but I will anyway. Yes I am a father and a very good one. I have 2 kids and 1 on the way. I have been told numerous times of how I'm a great father. Both my kids are extremely intelligent and polite. My daughter is at the top in her class in studies and the whole town talks about her golfing ability. My kids are AMAZING, I could talk about them for hours and it all starts with their parents. Once again, nice post rookie.

PS Way to also bring in the "White Man" comment, that's another great one.

This story was relayed to me by the chairman of our club golf committee this morning.
Yesterday my 16 yr old son was playing his semi final club championship match play. He was leading the match on the 12 hole when he pulled his approach shot from a difficult position. The ball hit a tree and bounced back on to the green 12 ft. from the pin.
His competitor was short of the green. To the surprise of the other three semi finalists my son picked up his ball conceding the hole. When asked why he picked up his ball he stated, "I do not deserve to win the hole". Maybe honor and sportsmanship are not entirely lost in this win at all costs world?

Last edited:
This strikes me as not the correct thing to do. Golf is a game of bad and good bounces and everyone knows it.

So what was the final result of the match?

Perhaps it right or wrong my son made his own decision. It is only the club championship and not for $1m prize money. Sportsmanship is still alive in the next generation and hopefully golf will remain an honorable game played by gentlemen. BTW He won the championship today.

mb6606, I think your son's actions demonstrate an admirable moral fortitude. He too is searching for perfection, but if he fails in his quest then he believes, regardless of any arbitary bounce or ricochet, that he should pay the penalty - not everyone within earshot or club-chucking range.

If I were the opponent, I'd feel a little disrespected if my competitor conceded the hole to me simply because of a lucky break. Kind of a slap in the face if you ask me.

If I were the opponent, I'd feel a little disrespected if my competitor conceded the hole to me simply because of a lucky break. Kind of a slap in the face if you ask me.

I agree. That's like playing one-on-one hoops and not counting an uncalled bank shot. Besides, the bounces even out over time.

As far as Tiger is concerned, it's ultimately a matter of whether or not he can act like a baby in front of millions of people and live with himself. Obviously he can. Plenty of other guys do it. Maybe we should stop expecting Tiger to be so drastically different from any other high-profile professional athlete.

SJO

New
I know this is now a tired topic but I feel that Tiger should sort his behaviour out but probably won't. There is nothing Tim Finchem can do because Tiger is bigger than the Tour, he already fines him more than anyone in the history of golf. Also I am pretty sure that Bobby Jones didn't turn pro! We'll give Rick the benefit of the doubt and assume it was a typo.

Status
Not open for further replies.