Sergio Garcia Analysis by Brian Manzella...Golf Magazine Style!

Status
Not open for further replies.

1-b

Banned
i understand hogan double-shifted but how do we fix sergio ?

According to the noted philosopher Donald Paul Villavaso, there are three kinds of looney people.

Koo-Koo • Ka-Koo • kook-a-loo

1. Koo-koo : Like the ones in "One flew over the Cuckoo's Nest," these folks are the kind you put in the white coats. Certifiable.

2. Ka-Koo : A little goofy. Silly rabbit, twix are for kids.

3. Kook-a-loo : Weirdo, wacko, out there.​

Anyone who thinks that Sergio needs to switch—mid-career—to a single-shift is definitely one of the three. Ever heard of Marty Fleckman?

Anyone that thinks Homer Kelley was infallible, and "The Golfing Machine" is a perfect piece of work that can withstand 3-D machines, real math guys like Zick and Grober, trackman, and real-world teaching is ABSOLUTELY looney-tunes.

My suggestion, 1-b, Homerisgod or whatever, is that you stick around these parts for a year, and soak up the best information and explanations in the whole biz.

Arguing with a total zealot is a waste of my time, which is a waste of the many folks who are here to learn from me.

:)

brian,
i'm more in the koo-koo for cocoa puffs category. nice ad homenim argument by the way.
but do you think if sergio had the clubshaft pointing at the plane line while he double-shifted his ball striking stats would improve?

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Well...

Sometimes, the book crowd just wears me out. I talked for you for 2 hours on the phone, made 100 good points, but in the end, it was like talking to a wall.

But, if you want to play—and lose—I'll oblige today.

YOUR QUESTION:
"do you think if sergio had the clubshaft pointing at the plane line while he double-shifted his ball striking stats would improve?"

MY RESPONSE:
Ever heard of parallax?

1-b

Banned
Sometimes, the book crowd just wears me out. I talked for you for 2 hours on the phone, made 100 good points, but in the end, it was like talking to a wall.

But, if you want to play—and lose—I'll oblige today.

YOUR QUESTION:
"do you think if sergio had the clubshaft pointing at the plane line while he double-shifted his ball striking stats would improve?"

MY RESPONSE:
Ever heard of parallax?

no

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Parallax

Parallax - The difference between the view of an object as seen through the picture-taking lens of a camera and the view as seen through a separate viewfinder.

I agree that once the lever assemblies have been loaded, the sweetspot plane should intersect with Sergio's intended plane line.

The problem is that—read this very closely—unless the camera lens is precisely on the exact same plane as the shaft (or sweetspot plane), at the exact same moment in time, the picture will not show an accurate representation of where the sucker actually points.

Why?

Because of PARALLAX!

Got it now?

Good.

Stick around, I told you you'd learn something. :rolleyes:

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Ben Hogan and Sergio.

Bucket!

toobad.jpg

yes, parallax does play a part, but the amount of laid-offness in the pics above is more than what parallax can explained.

but i'm not saying that you should fix it.

yes, parallax does play a part, but the amount of laid-offness in the pics above is more than what parallax can explained.

but i'm not saying that you should fix it.

i dont believe hogan in that pic is laid off. thats an iron shot so it can be presumed he isnt making a complete shoulder turn.

there are many illusions in golf. parallax, another thread talks about husge wrist cock is an illusion, and that photo and photos of many others i've seen appear laid off but just havnt completed their turn.

Is sergio laid off however???
i think he is but only because his lack of wrist hinge in the backswing IMO.
could well be wrong

We cannot tell by the pic if the butt of Sergio's club is pointing at the plane line (could possibly be pointing 1 mile down the line).

1-b

Banned
learning can be fun even when you're wrong !

Parallax - The difference between the view of an object as seen through the picture-taking lens of a camera and the view as seen through a separate viewfinder.

I agree that once the lever assemblies have been loaded, the sweetspot plane should intersect with Sergio's intended plane line.

The problem is that—read this very closely—unless the camera lens is precisely on the exact same plane as the shaft (or sweetspot plane), at the exact same moment in time, the picture will not show an accurate representation of where the sucker actually points.

Why?

Because of PARALLAX!

Got it now?

Good.

Stick around, I told you you'd learn something. :rolleyes:

brian,
thanks so much, i like learning a lot. i did not realize that sergio and hogan had equally good downswing planes. the concept of parallax helps explain a lot.:)

1-b

Banned
parallax ?

69134129.jpg

brian,
i could not find a correlative picture of sergio in the same position as hogan. could that be because the camera lens was not aimed precisely on the sweetspot plane of the the presentation ceremony.parallax does explain this ?

It ain't me!!!!

Hey Brian

I'd never touch Sergio's shift . . . this is one of the best swings on the planet . . .

If you "fix' that shift . . . no more datin' Greg Norman's sister or mom or whoever he's datin' . . . he's gotta trade in the Michelob for PBR . . . and sleep in a van.

B . . . do you have the rest of these pics?

Would love to see the compare . . . very nice.

there are PLENTY OF CATS . . . that have it pointing well outside the plane line at this point . . . Snead also comes to mind . . .

Most of the best ball strikers got the left shoulder low pretty deep into the down swing . . .

Pretty interesting that Homer's critque of Bobby Clampett's move in that 1980-whatever sequence was that his right shoulder was "too high."

1-b

Banned
putting?

I think the putting stats are WAAAAAYYYYY overrated!

Putts per round is goiing to be led by the guys with low GIRs,
Putts per GIR are also a weak indicator. Low GIR numbers mean people are probably only hitting the greens with their shorter irons and therefore probably hitting those clus closer to the pin,
We are in an age where every putt length is measured, and sinks from each distance is attainable. Also proximity from the hole from longer ranges is attainable.

So the important stats are probably:-
1. Inside 6-8 feet - ability to hit the putt on the intended line very important
- mental abilities tested
- speed control important, but not as much 2,3,
2. 8-20 feet - speed very important
- reading and visualisation become more important
- line and aim control slightly less important,
3. 21 feet and up - speed huge
- reading and visualisation secondary

damon,
good points. thanks for addressing the issues. putting leaders do tend to have lower gir's , especially in the top thirty. but this alone does not give us a complete picture of sergios' putting.

his proximity to the hole ranking was 72nd while he ranked 15th in putting average, 17th in putts per round , 102nd in average distance of putts made , and 1st in three-putt avoidance. i'd say a pretty good putter overall.

in your analysis it sounds like every putt is important. i would agree !:)

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
[/U]

69134129.jpg

brian,
i could not find a correlative picture of sergio in the same position as hogan. could that be because the camera lens was not aimed precisely on the sweetspot plane of the the presentation ceremony.parallax does explain this ?

That's the only time that Hogan's right wrist is ever arched.

it's a shame his coach wants him to "flatten out his plane or the shaft" (frame 4) or whatever ”the great players do.”

and get off plane(frame 4 & 5) in his downstroke, along with float loading ?!!!

it’s a shame his coach ( perhaps i’m being unfair to his coach? ) doesn’t want him to take his right shoulder shoulder, hands ,clubshaft and clubhead ALL DOWNPLANE. as it is his hands and clubshaft are UNDER PLANE and he now has to “swing left” with his hands and arms ( rather than swinging left with his hips and shoulders first ( concentric circles mr. o’grady ?) ) and what appears to be angled hinging ( instead of horizontal hinging ) and then ABOVE PLANE ( instead of ON PLANE ) near finish (frame 7) .

his hands and arms are working real hard to try and maintain alignments !

it's too bad this kid does not have a good instructor.

Uh no . . .

That flat plane deal . . . is "his move." You can't teach that out.

AND . . .if you try to get his right shoulder going downplane IMMEDIATELY he couldn't find the ball. The flat plane is the reason the dude turns on top of it and goes left so hard . . . otherwise it's snipe city. With the hands that deep and the plane that flat . . . he needs to get the club going out and then around the corner. flat plane = turny . . . steep plane = tilty

Once you un-shift Sergio and get his right shoulder going down early . . . you may as well change his birth certificate to read Ian Baker-Finch or Chip Beck.

Sergio doesn't need to change his move . . . somebody needs to chop his head off and put Tom Kite's head up there or something.

Last edited:

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Sergio and somebody's ideas.

TRACKMAN may end all of this.

If you make the PATH and CLUBFACE do what they need to do, at the right speed, you'll find out if you can putt real fast. ;)

All that other stuff is SHOWBIZ.

Teaching—REAL Teaching—is getting people do it.

Brian,
Real teaching is left to the very few who know. I am lucky to be a part of that knowledge. God bless the knowledge inherent of the people who seek it.
MK

Status
Not open for further replies.