Shanking—the STONE TRUTH.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Birdie,
You cannot bent irons open - no way!
Driver and woods may have open (or close) face angle but no irons.

I'm no club expert..............but I read the reminder ribs (under the grips) were set a certain way so they play open..........and the clubs were ground on the sole to sit open.

Brian, I'll let this one hibernate for a while.

Meanwhile, from the Shank Survey thread, someone asked a good question you may attempt to answer:

I would love to hear an answer to this because it is my exact problem. I never shank full shots, not even with a wedge. All of my shanks are quarter or half shots with the wedge.

I certainly don't have enough information to question anyone's views on why people shank. Maybe it is that I am lagging the hosel, but I certainly don't have a problem lagging the sweet spot on full shots. Why would I not be able to do this for half and quarter shots with the wedge.

For someone that doesn't know what it feels like to lag the sweetspot I think Brian mentioned having a friend hold a finger on the sweetspot of your club and resist a bit as you come down and through the ball(slowly:)) If his finger slides off your lagging the hosel.

Brian,

Was away on holiday for a few weeks there, but that video is very useful, and I'm certainly a lot more aware of the confusion around 'sensing' the sweetspot.

I do think it would be useful to take some of the better posts from this thread, make a new one and make the new thread much more readable and accessible.

Some of the information here is extremely useful for folks.

B

I would love to hear an answer to this because it is my exact problem. I never shank full shots, not even with a wedge. All of my shanks are quarter or half shots with the wedge.

I certainly don't have enough information to question anyone's views on why people shank. Maybe it is that I am lagging the hosel, but I certainly don't have a problem lagging the sweet spot on full shots. Why would I not be able to do this for half and quarter shots with the wedge.

S.O.
Just for your interest I found I shanked partial shots due to lack of lower body movement. Once I turned properly to the target the shanks disappeard...
But that's just me........:)

One thought could be that you lag the hosel in the early part of your takeaway, but set the club to lag the sweetspot later in your backswing. For example, some people roll the club open initially, but are able to close the face with the end of their backswing/transition.

Perhaps have somebody check to see if you are opening your clubface early on in your move...

Tiger's shanks go farther and higher than mine. Hogan gave an interview to golf digest about his swing in the mid 80's. He stated that on the downswing, he rotates his left arm as hard as he can, like a baseball bat. When I am laid off, if I do not do that, shank city. Brian's original post is correct as far as my game is concerned. I overrotate the left arm flying wedge on the backswing and if I drop it without rotation of the left arm back to the ball, I will shank it every time, especially with the wedge, because with a shorter swing, there is not enough time to rotate it back.

Hot Chilli, if you maintain your posterior throughout your shot, you can kiss your shanks good bye forever. As soon as you loose your stack in the downswing, your pelvis pushes out and moves everything out and past the intended plane that your were on--creating the almighty dreaded shank.

Tiger's shanks go farther and higher than mine. Hogan gave an interview to golf digest about his swing in the mid 80's. He stated that on the downswing, he rotates his left arm as hard as he can, like a baseball bat. When I am laid off, if I do not do that, shank city. Brian's original post is correct as far as my game is concerned. I overrotate the left arm flying wedge on the backswing and if I drop it without rotation of the left arm back to the ball, I will shank it every time, especially with the wedge, because with a shorter swing, there is not enough time to rotate it back.

Guilty.

have you even read this thread?

Yes indeed, I did read this entire thread and I don't care what anyone says, swinging the spot still "feels" to me like swinging the club face closed throughout the entire swing sequence. Nevertheless, shots do compress off the face with a low penetrating, bullet piercing like trajectory that feels good to the hands, wrists and arms when swinging this way; especially, in the finish position, as I watch the ball rise from the backspin that I've just imparted on it. Now, that's what I call compressing the snot of a golf ball. Anyway, it good to hear from you again.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Yes indeed, I did read this entire thread and I don't care what anyone says, swinging the spot still "feels" to me like swinging the club face closed throughout the entire swing sequence. Nevertheless, shots do compress off the face with a low penetrating, bullet piercing like trajectory that feels good to the hands, wrists and arms when swinging this way; especially, in the finish position, as I watch the ball rise from the backspin that I've just imparted on it. Now, that's what I call compressing the snot of a golf ball. Anyway, it good to hear from you again.

I have no idea what you just said.

Shots "feel" to you?

What shots?

Guitar Hero

Swinging the sweet spot in balance can and does have the feel you talk about. No shanks ever GUARANTEED!

ej20

New
What if the scope on your rifle is calibrated perfectly but somehow the barrel got warped?

You can never guarantee shankless swings.

Status
Not open for further replies.