Should Everyone Zero Out their Path & Clubface on TrackMan, and hit up on Drivers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a trade-off between attack angle and clubhead speed? I ask because the "3.1* down" has 102.7 mph and the "3.4* up" has 101.6. Seems worth noting. Is that just because the clubhead hits the ball later on the plane at a slower speed, or are there other factors in the mix? Will the clubhead even slow appreciably between the ball positions for 3.1 down and 3.4 up?

To Michael Finney - Brian mentioned that you get plenty of distance hitting down. How tempted are you to make an adjustment, in light of the recent findings? Any reservations, and if so, why?

Last edited:

Steve Khatib

Super Moderator
These were three tee shots, with very average range balls, and not my current driver.

The point I am trying to make on this shots is simple.

Only a very slight adjustment in the golf swing is need to produce an upward attack.

And IF you need the distance, get a low spin driver (and this one is very low spin as ALL of the shots were low spinning) and learn to hit up on it.

3drivers.jpg

Agreed 100% I have really been able to help people do this in daily lessons. Before this all the launch monitirs in the world confused me because I couldnt achieve to proper 'D-plane zero out' to take advantage of this!

Widen stance and move right foot a little more back away from aimline to swing more right and up? Ball any further forward in upward attack swing?

The weird thing is the grip in the up angle of attack looks stronger at impact in upward attack? Or maybe not.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
The Point.

ball speed/ launch angle....

3.4° up — 152.1 /14.6°
0.0° level — 151.6 / 8.0°
3.1° down — 151.4 / 6.5°

Listen folks, the point to these three shots was NOT to micro manage the numbers—I only had about 45 minutes to get these right—the POINT is to show how much hotting upward can help, and how little difference the swings were, looks wise.

That's it.

Then we'll go on to the two iron shots...

When you look at Trackman data that wishon uses for maximizing drivers, he also shows a 30-35 yard distance carry difference in drivers for an example swing for just a slightly higher clubhead speed (105 mph) for Up 5 vs. Down 5 -- although his example significantly more spin for the Down 5 angle of attack (3000 rpm).

Last edited:

Dariusz J.

Cool pics, Brian.

It is interesting to observe the correlation between the AofA and the lead wrist position at separation.

Cheers

Magic Number 2:1?
Hey guys I havent been on for a week or so now & this thread has gone a bit nuts with lots of posts. There is obviously a lot of controversy between whether to hit up, down, zero out path, not zero out path.
Heres how I see it at the moment.

I have spent some quality time using Trackman since returning from the GTE. For ME (Not everyone) I feel that a 2:1 ration between Path & Face is a good number to strive for, without going nuts with the path. Zeroing out is a great thing but for me the player has a greater margin for error with the face is if the path isnt zero. So for me as a teacher Im usually thinking soft draw/fade just like Kevin said he played his best golf with in one of the first threads. As for hitting up on the Driver.....Well what does the player want to achieve?? more distance? then sure hitting up good thing but they better be able to control that face well because its tougher to control it on the way up! More consistancy? well then let them hit down on it. I think (could be wrong here) but most of the guys on tour are still hitting down slightly with the driver about 1-2*

Brian Manzella

Administrator
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RN-8KT-OiGI&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RN-8KT-OiGI&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

To my untrained eye it looks like you have less "carry" on the one you hit up on, it looks as if you start your hips unwinding without much of a "bump" forward, is that correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.