Should Everyone Zero Out their Path & Clubface on TrackMan, and hit up on Drivers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Khatib

Super Moderator
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RN-8KT-OiGI&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RN-8KT-OiGI&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Which facility did you film this at? Looks like a pretty nice teaching area.:cool:

When hitting up the term swing right is used, so this does not mean aim right and play for a slight pull? If you are "zero out" on path you would not be swing out to the right as is often misleading stated to hit a draw. I am going to practice hitting up today at the range, will film some slo mo as well.

What a beautiful swing! Love it in slow mo. I wonder if Brian could give a short explanation of what is happening. Actually could he fully explain it although I know he is busy. I think this is so important it merits his time and certainly ours. Oh by the way, hi to Jim! Great guy. Like his new toy.

When hitting up the term swing right is used, so this does not mean aim right and play for a slight pull? If you are "zero out" on path you would not be swing out to the right as is often misleading stated to hit a draw. I am going to practice hitting up today at the range, will film some slo mo as well.

Greg,

The reason why hitting up with the driver and swinging right are used together is because of the spin axis on the ball that is imparted with the club being used.

According to Trackman, provided that the clubface is square to the target, to hit it straight:

For Irons = Path should be 1/2 of the Angle of Attack

For Driver = Path should be the same as the Angle of Attack

So, if you swing -4* down with a 4-iron, then you need to swing -2* to the left to hit it straight (provide the face is square).

But, if you swing -4* down with a driver, then you need to swing -4 to the left to hit it straight.

Thusly, if you hit up with the driver, say +3*, then you need to have a path out to the right of 3* to hit it straight.

It's advisable to 'aim right' so you can swing out to the right *if* you are hitting up with the driver. You don't necessarily have to aim right, you just need to swing right.

The stance diagram in Hogan's 5 Lessons is very good for pointing out how your stance should be for each club if you are trying to hit it straight knowing what we know about D-Plane.

3JACK

Greg,

The stance diagram in Hogan's 5 Lessons is very good for pointing out how your stance should be for each club if you are trying to hit it straight knowing what we know about D-Plane.

3JACK

I think that is the key, the hogam diagram, the swinging left and right is a bit hard to understand. I assume this always means on plane but plane line shifted right or left?

This was a video from late afternoon yesterday, was about a 250 or so carry, much higher than normal like a 5 iron almost.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CADe7A_Gpjg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.