TGM mentioned in golfdigest.com about Mac O'Grady

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back to the topic...Bruce, can you or Mike ask Mac whether he just might have read "Four Magic Moves to Winning Golf" by Joe Dante? Mac's swing is not entirely "proprietary"...& Dante didn't invent the early set, either.

Suggest you stand back a little, just in case....

hcw

New
David Alford said:
...Like I said, it's very very hard to create something that works that is new. Many yrs. ago,I thought my belly putting stroke was entirely original & then I learned a guy in New Zealand had patented a "belly putter" much earlier. I was working alone, just thinking & working on the problem of how the heck can I get a stabilized putt?"...

1 These are the words of the Teacher...9 History merely repeats itself. It has all been done before. Nothing under the sun is truly new. 10 What can you point to that is new? How do you know it didn't already exist long ago? 11 We don't remember what happened in those former times. And in future generations, no one will remember what we are doing now.

Ecclesiastes 1:1,9-11 (The New Living Translation)

...of course for this day and age, the key is getting it to the patent office or the publisher first:)...

Mac at the BC

David,

I didn't get a chance to talk to Mac, but did watch his warmup and then followed him for the first 9 holes this afternoon. It was unbelievable how he squandered strokes. True, he hit into 3 fairway bunkers in those 9 holes (all left), but he missed so many short putts!

On #11, a 230-yard par 3 into the wind, Mac hit a long iron (2?) and before he hit it I knew he didn't have enough club. The other guys were hitting 5 woods. Mac came up short right into a sliver of a stream; took a drop and pitched to 5 feet and then proceeded to 4 putt! The last 2 were under 2 feet and he just stepped up carelessly to tap in, almost not looking where he was going. He did the same thing on #9 from about 18". And he missed a 4 footer on #8. I counted at least 5 shots lost with the putter.

He also had 4 birds -- all of this irons were crisp and on target.

Brue

bew69 said:
David,

I didn't get a chance to talk to Mac, but did watch his warmup and then followed him for the first 9 holes this afternoon. It was unbelievable how he squandered strokes. True, he hit into 3 fairway bunkers in those 9 holes (all left), but he missed so many short putts!

On #11, a 230-yard par 3 into the wind, Mac hit a long iron (2?) and before he hit it I knew he didn't have enough club. The other guys were hitting 5 woods. Mac came up short right into a sliver of a stream; took a drop and pitched to 5 feet and then proceeded to 4 putt! The last 2 were under 2 feet and he just stepped up carelessly to tap in, almost not looking where he was going. He did the same thing on #9 from about 18". And he missed a 4 footer on #8. I counted at least 5 shots lost with the putter.

He also had 4 birds -- all of this irons were crisp and on target.

Brue

Thanks for the update.....so maybe we should putt righty?

mrodock said:
It hasn't all been done before, that's just silly cliche. We need more rigor in our thinking than this.

Yes, I agree, although I guess it depends on definitions/standards.

For example, a nongolfer might think Moe Norman's swing is not really any different than Snead's except looking a bit more silly. "He's swinging his arms and holding it pretty much the same with two hands", etc.

IMO, Moe's swing was essentially an original swing although all the individual components (short backswing, standing wide, & probably his grip, etc. etc.) have all been used before.

E=MC2 (squared) was a simple forumula that revolutionized physics. Why couldn't some one besides Einstein have figured that out? So simple, eh?

The Return of NAT said:
Thanks for the update.....so maybe we should putt righty?

Nat...I don't think Mac was serious about putting (er, golf)...otherwise he would have figured something out...

I've also seen his putting...you haven't exaggerated.

Status
Not open for further replies.