TGM mentioned in golfdigest.com about Mac O'Grady

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I think he was one of the alternates that got in. I'm going to follow him on Friday -- but I'll keep my distance!

Bruce

Last edited:
Ya I guess I should've mentioned that was your work.....sure as hell wasn't mine.

Sorry bout that NAT.....didn't think much of it when posted em.

Good pics anyhow.

David Alford said:
Why? Because of the so called "weak grip" (it wasn't) and the theoretical difficulty in going from an open wrist to a supinated wrist? Forget all of that...

I've discussed the sentiment that Hogan was a physcial freak/genius before & I'd just be repeating myself to go into all of that again.

I not only studied his swing, I studied the man's physical abilitities. Especially when he was an old man still swinging away with a great swing. Technique goes a long way, folks...stop being intimidated!

No one is intimidated by his swing-- I just refuse to believe that modeling his swing pattern is smart for the majority of golfers... BTW the golf swing doesnt begin and end with Hogan. Hogan's swing was based on his faulty ballflight, and average golfers rarely struggle with hitting hooks. Every poor golfer I see shoots everything out to the right.

I think that most golfers would do better learning a low maintenace pure swinging technique and aim to play a slight draw. I think the true imperatives for the average golfer are:

1) Plane

2) Path

3) Impact

strav said:
David, correct me if I'm wrong but I think that title reads "The Rise and Fall of a Potential Golfing Superstar" not 'Professional Golf Superstar.'

You probably are right, just brought that up from distant memory banks. I "speed read" the little tomb...Mac certainly didn't sponsor the book. It's extremely damning of Mac. From the way he treated his Japanese wife, his friends, sponsors, caddys, etc. etc.

Personally, I'm just interested in the golf swing, although watching castrophes is momentarily interesting.

btw, in the sequence of Mac's swing from down the line, he appears to be slightly inside of optimum (when the club is parallel to the ground half way back. Could be the camera position. Joddie Mudd had this same problem, Mac
usually didn't.

Mike Bennett

I saw Mike Bennett at my club (where he's been a member forever) last night and spoke to him about Mac. Mike has 15 players in the BC Open this weekend, and said he and Andy Plummer are now working with over 40 tour players. He said Mac saw Andy at the BC Open and really went after him (sounded ugly). Mac thinks they are stealing his proprietary ideas.

3 of Bennett's guys are teeing off right just ahead of Mac so it could get pretty interesting. I'm hoping to attend the tournament tomorrow.

Bruce

self-mastery said:
No one is intimidated by his swing-- I just refuse to believe that modeling his swing pattern is smart for the majority of golfers... BTW the golf swing doesnt begin and end with Hogan. Hogan's swing was based on his faulty ballflight, and average golfers rarely struggle with hitting hooks. Every poor golfer I see shoots everything out to the right.

I think that most golfers would do better learning a low maintenace pure swinging technique and aim to play a slight draw. I think the true imperatives for the average golfer are:

1) Plane

2) Path

3) Impact

Gotta' disagree with ya' on the first part of your post. No problem with 1,2,3 per se.

It sure seems a lot of golfers/golf gurus are intimidated by Hogan's swing. Many comments about his swing/the man evidence that. Same thing with Moe Norman (savant genius, etc. etc.).

Hogan's swing adaptations are a must if you use Hogan's power sources. It's not so much a corrective swing as people think. There wasn't anything "wrong" with Hogan's power sources...to the contrary!

I have a couple of swings that are as good if not better than Hogan's and you'll hear about them some day (the result of 25 yrs. constant tinkering with swing possibilities)...and they're for the average golfer (as well as Pros).

Trust me, they really work. I have little doubt they will make millions (for the users that is!). btw, I invented or co-invented "belly putting" and that "swing" did make millions on Tour!

Hogan apparently was working on the same thing (a better swing)...almost published his work toward the end of his life, but no one came up with the $$$ he felt the new material justified...

P.S. I have a new putting stroke that is even better than the original belly putting...nothing new in golf....well, maybe...I guess it depends on definitions...where we say something is distinctive to be a creation. E.g. one can argue TW really did create a novel swing...or was it around for decades and he just "demoed" it at a high level? How much importance do small adaptations deserve? Personally, I give them high importance if they work. Success is in the details, etc. But...it is very hard to be creative when it comes to evolving new swings...try and try...

David Alford said:
It sure seems a lot of golfers/golf gurus are intimidated by Hogan's swing. Many comments about his swing/the man evidence that. Same thing with Moe Norman (savant genius, etc. etc.).

I agree.

Hogan's swing adaptations are a must if you use Hogan's power sources. It's not so much a corrective swing as people think. There wasn't anything "wrong" with Hogan's power sources...to the contrary!

Why do you keep mentioning "power sources"? You mean the amount of lag?

I have a couple of swings that are as good if not better than Hogan's and you'll hear about them some day (the result of 25 yrs. constant tinkering with swing possibilities)...and they're for the average golfer (as well as Pros).

When's ur book comin out David? Any clue?

Better than Hogan? Must be pretty good David.....

Hogan apparently was working on the same thing (a better swing)...almost published his work toward the end of his life, but no one came up with the $$$ he felt the new material justified...

How do you know?

This is the first I've heard of it.

How much importance do small adaptations deserve? Personally, I give them high importance if they work. Success is in the details, etc.

I agree.

You have to have a lot of (little) pieces in place if you want to hit it as good as possible.

David Alford said:

intimidated, maybe for a few,,,inviting, for most. Or did u mean lot of golfers/gurus want to "imitate"...

maybe having a supinating AND arched wrist at impact to follow thru coming from a cupped position does not work for most, but the pattern, the swing... Why not take his bits and pieces to blend into one's swings characteristics? Or better yet, at the moment of arrival, at impact, nearly all (99.9%) great golfers share the sameness. Not intimidating, a fact that all of us should strive to imitate,,,imo...

Understanding Hogan's why's may help one's own swing. And for the golf historian, awesome...

and do I really think Snead was intimidated by Hogan? I think not...just a sincere compliment from a friend while being fearful of lightning only...:)

hcw

New
The Return of NAT said:
Birdie man no problemo..just thought they looked familiar...LOL...but anyway ..I predict 74-76 MC...but he'll look damn good doin it!!!

Mac O'Grady Rnd1: 73

...not bad mr. nat:)

Mike Bennett

I talked to Mike today...Mac made himself look "really nice on the tee in front of everyone"...This is the reason why people leave Mac and work with guys like Plummer and Bennett...Perhaps Mac should re-enroll in the PGA's GPTP and take the customer relations section of Level 2 and acquire the 7 interpersonal skills ansd learn to use the 4 interaction strategies...:eek:

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
I'm telling ya man, this guy sounds like classic NPD: Narccistic Personality Disorder.

1. Blames others for everything
2. Always puts on a front
3. Always claims to be doing or being something "special"; and will not waste their "specialness" on just anyone.
4. Lacks empathy

The last one seals the deal.

glcoach said:
I'm telling ya man, this guy sounds like classic NPD: Narccistic Personality Disorder.

1. Blames others for everything
2. Always puts on a front
3. Always claims to be doing or being something "special"; and will not waste their "specialness" on just anyone.
4. Lacks empathy

The last one seals the deal.

Sounds like Mac...
I spoke with Andy....just a few mijnutes ago..Mac was rather "polite" in front of a dozen or so...Just envious of the fact that Plummer and Bennett know how to treat people and know a little more than the average bear....

Everytime I hear of threats or mistreatment by Mac toward me or my friends ..I slowly lose the respect toward someone who I held in very high esteem..It is sad.....for him to have caught the sinful disease of NPD....what a tragedy!!!

birdie_man said:
I agree.
Why do you keep mentioning "power sources"? You mean the amount of lag?
When's ur book comin out David? Any clue?
Better than Hogan? Must be pretty good David.....
How do you know?
This is the first I've heard of it.
I agree.
You have to have a lot of (little) pieces in place if you want to hit it as good as possible.

I use "power sources" as a shorthand for how I create swing energy. They could be lower body, or right hand, etc. for instance.

Books are never easy, but it's time...it still won't be quick or painless.

Hogan was willing to publish his "new swing discovery" in his later years,
but turned down a publisher's offer because he felt the offered sum was
too little for what he thought it was worth (which he described as "a swing
anyone can win with").

It's very hard to create something like that, but I'm a control freak and these
swings (there are several variants) have really made me happy. It's what held me up for so many years.

Like I said, it's very very hard to create something that works that is new. Many yrs. ago,I thought my belly putting stroke was entirely original & then I learned a guy in New Zealand had patented a "belly putter" much earlier. I was working alone, just thinking & working on the problem of how the heck can I get a stabilized putt?"

"How in the heck" to improve upon Hogan's swing...not an easy proposition, either...and differences between existing swings may also seem small, but it's the combination and accumulation of differences that make major differences...& that was the case of "belly putting", too.

Ditto for Mac's swing, Moe Norman's etc. Probably Moe's was the most distinctive of any swing pattern that could really work.

Status
Not open for further replies.