TGM mentioned in golfdigest.com about Mac O'Grady

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like Jodie has longer arms than Mac. In these pics the knee bend looks about the same, but it looks like Mac is bent over more than Jodie.

tongzilla said:
Why do you think Mac believes Snead's swing is superior?

I believe Mac is highly enamored with Snead's squat down position, but other than that, I wouldn't know. I recall he was pretty critical of TW's swing a few yrs. ago, but he likes Snead's? Go figure...

self-mastery said:
Is Hogan's swing really the ideal for most golfers??? I would think not.

Why? Because of the so called "weak grip" (it wasn't) and the theoretical difficulty in going from an open wrist to a supinated wrist? Forget all of that...

I've discussed the sentiment that Hogan was a physcial freak/genius before & I'd just be repeating myself to go into all of that again.

I not only studied his swing, I studied the man's physical abilitities. Especially when he was an old man still swinging away with a great swing. Technique goes a long way, folks...stop being intimidated!

tongzilla said:
Good points Mike. Sameness (1-J) and Differences (1-K).

Could all great golf swings actually be the same, but because of the different physical abilities, personalities, conditions, etc., they all look different?

The vast majority of the pros probably are. Not than many guys using right hand hitting models or other upper body power sources.

Which is unfortunate...because there are some fantastic "swings" that don't use lower body power.

It's also unfortunate, because the average Joe golfer, not to mention most Pros, are going to suffer back problems. I don't have the stats, but I'd guess way over half.

Brian Manzella said:
But, the Major Mags ADVERTISE for him.

That is my point.

Thank God.

I agree.

And I will go to one of his deals one day.

But, he ought to come study me if he wants to be the best to, eh?

Brian, from my experience, he wants to be the teacher and won't tolerate other teachers or contrary opinions. I suspect you wouldn't be allowed in if you used your real name & even if you got in, he'd kick you (or me) out after
the first or second contrary opinion...

The reason Mac's hands are low and has a lot of waist bend is because he must to use the particular variety of early set that he does...

On the downswing so called "centrifugal force" brings his hands back out. He doesn't have to actively compensate for that...

The swing works...it's just not at the very top of my list & I don't think many would feel very comfortable with it. Early set models aren't as easy as the promotors would have you believe. But, if you do this, that, and the other, all difficulties can be avoided.

Yes, it does take more athletic ability than other models...It also does feel pretty much like a little machine you get yourself into...& I think Mac got very enamored of that.

tourdeep said:
Tiger Woods with that recent Nike swing.

A normal Tiger Woods swing without trying to over max it, no stinger shot, no reverse roll, just a smooth Tiger.

Tiger is universal. His swing is captured and scrutinized perhaps more than anyone else today and that means a bunch more information available for study, what to do or not. And as you mentioned, a ton of variables. And I will probably catch flack from a bunch with my opinion!!!!

There are a bunch of swings I really like. Jonathan Byrd (hogan clone), Tom Purtzer making it look ez, Sergio for max trigger delay, Couples for tempo...

Tiger's gotta be a hybrid Hogan. If you take a look at the Nike slo-mo, perhaps the one key change happens to be the low side of Tiger's versus Hogan.

Hogan is more x factor whereas Tiger's transition appears to be more unified, a togetherness. Also, Tiger moves into a more straightening to straight left side at or slightly past impact, wheras Hogan's knees has more action as it is (left side) straightening thru impact. It is impressive to see how quiet Tiger's lowside remains as his hips respond to his shoulder turn. This type of turn is probably better for someone who has the suppleness to take the torque which a restricted type hip turn demands.

After watching Tiger in Nike slo-mo for the umpteenth time, Hogan appears to have more X factor than Tiger. However, this is not saying that Tiger has none. Clearly, his low side is moving toward the target prior to the completion of his backswing. Is it Tiger's left knee and/or hip initiating this move?

Mac and the BC Open

For those who may be interested in Mac...he tried, but failed, to qualify yesterday for the BC Open at our local course. He shot 69. The qualifiers shot 65, 66, 66, and 67 (playoff).

Since I am a former student of Mac's, I dropped by on Sunday during his practice round and caught up with him on the 16th hole (he was alone). He was hitting the ball great; however, he was in such a bad mood that on the whole the experience was rather unpleasant. He spent a half hour railing against the infidelities of his former disciplines, including Bennett and Plummer, and also ranted about the PGA, VJ, Seve and others. Unfortunately I wasn't spared the slings and arrows either -- he accused me (falsely) of standing him up on a phone consultation last year and of "invading his space" during his practice round (AFTER the round was completed!) despite the fact that I simply wanted to say hello and he invited me to ride in the cart with him on the 17th and 18th holes.

Mac is so bitter and full of rage that I suspect there is more going on underneath it all than any of us can understand. Issues related to health, finances, family, etc. can weigh us down and make even the most even tempered folks miserable and difficult. I certainly sensed a degree of envy in the success that other well-known instructors have achieved -- those with better interpersonal skills, marketing savvy and follow-through.

Needless to say, after my encounter with Mac on Sunday I decided not to follow him during the qualifier the next day.

Bruce

birdie_man said:
Here's a few of Snead:

http://asafgolf.free.fr/images/golf/swings/snead_profil.jpg
http://redgoat.smugmug.com/gallery/87698/1/3061627

Here's Jodie Mudd (taught by Mac I think):

JMuddSwingSequence.png

Here's one of Mac:

MOGradyOverlay003.png

Hey nice pics....look familiar...where did you get them?....That's Funny those look like my pics from my V1 Digital Coaching System....Oh yeah that is my line drawing.....Oops....borrowed?...from another site?

The Return of NAT said:
Hey nice pics....look familiar...where did you get them?....That's Funny those look like my pics from my V1 Digital Coaching System....Oh yeah that is my line drawing.....Oops....borrowed?...from another site?

Ya definitely.

Good pics they are.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
The Return of NAT said:

Do you want us to take them down?

Nice work on your part, but, not adding anything to this site.

Your call, nat.

For those who are still interested....WARNING, it' not pleasant, nor is it well written:

Mac O'Grady - The Rise and Fall of A Professional Golf Superstar by Raphael Shapiro. Available via Amazon.

David Alford said:
For those who are still interested....WARNING, it' not pleasant, nor is it well written:

Mac O'Grady - The Rise and Fall of A Professional Golf Superstar by Raphael Shapiro. Available via Amazon.

Not interested. You'd have to be a groupie to want to read that book. There's really nothing on the golf swing in there, right?

Correction

David Alford said:

David, correct me if I'm wrong but I think that title reads "The Rise and Fall of a Potential Golfing Superstar" not 'Professional Golf Superstar.'

Last edited:

bcoak

New
bew69 said:
For those who may be interested in Mac...he tried, but failed, to qualify yesterday for the BC Open at our local course. He shot 69. The qualifiers shot 65, 66, 66, and 67 (playoff).

Bruce

He must have got in on a sponsors exemption as he is listed in the field and the head pro at my club is actually caddying for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.