TGM mentioned in golfdigest.com about Mac O'Grady

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
...just a little question from a little italian fellow...

IF THIS O'GRADY GUY IS SUCH A SNEAD FAN, WHY IN THE HELL DOES HE NEVER TEACH ANYONE TO SWING ANYTHING LIKE SNEAD!!!!!!!!

DAMNIT!

WHY IN THE HELL, DOES A GUY WHO SEEMS TO TEACH EVERYONE THE SAME PATTERN, CLAIM TO BE A MUTLI-PATTERN TEACHER????

WHY!!!

A sucker is born every minute.

Mystique, Mystique, Mystique......

Brian Manzella said:
IF THIS O'GRADY GUY IS SUCH A SNEAD FAN, WHY IN THE HELL DOES HE NEVER TEACH ANYONE TO SWING ANYTHING LIKE SNEAD!!!!!!!!

DAMNIT!

WHY IN THE HELL, DOES A GUY WHO SEEMS TO TEACH EVERYONE THE SAME PATTERN, CLAIM TO BE A MUTLI-PATTERN TEACHER????

WHY!!!

And hell, maybe the guy is better than the mystique!

Brian Manzella said:

DAMNIT!

WHY!!!

brian do you have the snead book how to play golf. if you dont i reccomend getting it published in 1946 right in sams best days. the book has 150 pages with swing sequences on each page look at pag 66 mid iron down the line and tell me how that isnt what mac teaches because the alighnments that snead has there is what mac does and teaches today, im not sure about 18 years ago in 1988 but there is nothing wrong with that in my opinion. and mac teaches two patterns but has studied and mapped out every great players swing. and mystique has nothing to do with being a good teacher wich mac is top 24 teacher in the country with no avertising or golf shows to give him popularity only teachers that believed in his ability to vote for him

Last edited:

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Mac is the greatest. He will save golf!

Oh, I'm sorry.

Mac is king.

Mac is King.

He mapped out the swing!

He has a system based on research.

He can perform the patterns.

He is a genius.

I get it.

But, the no advertising?

Come on, the magazines LOVE the guy. He has had dozens of stories about his teaching in MAJOR MAGS.

Top 24?

He should be at least #2.

;)

you guys crack me up....

you can't prove the unprovable.....now as far as mac teaching a snead pattern...i've never personally seen it, and i've been around numerous mac students in the past 20 years...

now of course, impact alignments could be similar, but all the other components don't seem to jibe (that is, mac students and sam snead)

like he says in that article if you saw the swings side by side you would say it does look like about 80 percent snead and 20 percent hogan and seeing that manzella is one of the best teachers in the game i guarenty if you saw the swing you would agree with it i dont have any way to post it but if you want i can send some pics to you brian to look at. i know i come off like a mac dicsiple but really i just like the alighnments he teaches and they really are what the good players do it is a very simple tight swing

self-mastery said:
Is Hogan's swing really the ideal for most golfers??? I would think not.

Given the fact that most golfers are high handicap, lack the discipline and time to employ it, I would agree.

For the mid to low handicap minority player looking to take it to the next level, let the argument continue.

tourdeep said:
Given the fact that most golfers are high handicap, lack the discipline and time to employ it, I would agree.

For the mid to low handicap minority player looking to take it to the next level, let the argument continue.

Who do you think average golfers should model. I'm asking in general and I know that there are a ton of variables.

A little off topic but I have a question on chair building

Sorry - Off topic but I have a question on chair building. There is a number of great chair builders here in Southern California and I'm a beginning chair builder myself but really not sure who I should model my technique after. One guy is really good- uses 100% steel I'm thinking of modeling my technique and approach with him. But then this other guy is really good, I mean really good - I think he's better than the steel guy, maybe not as many awards but he lost 10 years of quality time when he cut off his right hand - half way through his career- he now makes all his chairs with one hand - and no power tools- haven't been able to talk to him- strong silent type. He strictly uses wood- you know softer material etc. Just not sure- if I'm going to make chairs which one is better. I mean I don't really know how to begin to build a chair- so what material should I use- wood or steel?

Oh, one last thing- before you give me any feedback on which direction to go- there is this mongolian monk- he lives up in the mountains in pakistan- very few people have ever seen him- let alone discussed chair building with him- he hasn't finished any chairs yet- at least I don't think so, but he is revered throughout the chair building business - I hear he finally is going to publish his thesis on the ultimate chair building technique- funny thing won't be in a normal book form- when you purchase a chair from him the actual book will be printed on the chair! Anyway, from what I've heard sounds like the ideal is 80% steel and 20% wood. Kind of makes sense to me.

Don't know if there is any chair builders on this forum- maybe someone has a link to another website. Sorry if I hijacked the thread. But I would appreciate any feedback from chair builders on this forum as what direction I should take on this. Thanks in advance!

Oh, Yes, I know someone may ask "Depends what you're using the chair for?" So I'd like to address that up front- I'll be sitting in it!

Last edited:
Tiger Woods with that recent Nike swing.

A normal Tiger Woods swing without trying to over max it, no stinger shot, no reverse roll, just a smooth Tiger.

Tiger is universal. His swing is captured and scrutinized perhaps more than anyone else today and that means a bunch more information available for study, what to do or not. And as you mentioned, a ton of variables. And I will probably catch flack from a bunch with my opinion!!!!

There are a bunch of swings I really like. Jonathan Byrd (hogan clone), Tom Purtzer making it look ez, Sergio for max trigger delay, Couples for tempo...

Tiger's gotta be a hybrid Hogan. If you take a look at the Nike slo-mo, perhaps the one key change happens to be the low side of Tiger's versus Hogan.

Hogan is more x factor whereas Tiger's transition appears to be more unified, a togetherness. Also, Tiger moves into a more straightening to straight left side at or slightly past impact, wheras Hogan's knees has more action as it is (left side) straightening thru impact. It is impressive to see how quiet Tiger's lowside remains as his hips respond to his shoulder turn. This type of turn is probably better for someone who has the suppleness to take the torque which a restricted type hip turn demands.

Mike O man....lol....

I think I got second analogy loud and clear (Mac, right?)....(cept for this part: "when you purchase a chair from him the actual book will be printed on the chair!")

?

Ya but this one lost me a bit:

Mike O said:
Sorry - Off topic but I have a question on chair building. There is a number of great chair builders here in Southern California and I'm a beginning chair builder myself but really not sure who I should model my technique after. One guy is really good- uses 100% steel I'm thinking of modeling my technique and approach with him. But then this other guy is really good, I mean really good - I think he's better than the steel guy, maybe not as many awards but he lost 10 years of quality time when he cut off his right hand - half way through his career- he now makes all his chairs with one hand - and no power tools- haven't been able to talk to him- strong silent type. He strictly uses wood- you know softer material etc. Just not sure- if I'm going to make chairs which one is better. I mean I don't really know how to begin to build a chair- so what material should I use- wood or steel?

I take it that has to do with Snead vs. Hogan...no?

If so, I got the "chopped hand off half-way through career and lost 10 years" etc...

But I think I missed most of the rest of your main points....

Could you explain?

Mike O said:

Oh, one last thing- before you give me any feedback on which direction to go- there is this mongolian monk- he lives up in the mountains in pakistan- very few people have ever seen him- let alone discussed chair building with him- he hasn't finished any chairs yet- at least I don't think so, but he is revered throughout the chair building business - I hear he finally is going to publish his thesis on the ultimate chair building technique- funny thing won't be in a normal book form- when you purchase a chair from him the actual book will be printed on the chair! Anyway, from what I've heard sounds like the ideal is 80% steel and 20% wood. Kind of makes sense to me.

Don't know if there is any chair builders on this forum- maybe someone has a link to another website. Sorry if I hijacked the thread. But I would appreciate any feedback from chair builders on this forum as what direction I should take on this. Thanks in advance!

Oh, Yes, I know someone may ask "Depends what you're using the chair for?" So I'd like to address that up front- I'll be sitting in it!

Hey Llama...I see said the Blind...I hear said the Deaf....I feel..therefore I'm Alive...

Great Post!!!

Looking for an answer

birdie_man said:
Mike O man....lol....

I think I got second analogy loud and clear (Mac, right?)....(cept for this part: "when you purchase a chair from him the actual book will be printed on the chair!")

?

Ya but this one lost me a bit:

I take it that has to do with Snead vs. Hogan...no?

If so, I got the "chopped hand off half-way through career and lost 10 years" etc...

But I think I missed most of the rest of your main points....

Could you explain?

Birdie,
No analogy- forget about golf. I'm actually starting to build some chairs but not sure where to start. Either refer me to another website or maybe you can answer my question- should I build them in wood or steel, or some combo? Simple question- can't imagine it's going to be that difficult for you to give me some guidance before I start building. By the way, I'm independently wealthy- so cost of materials etc. is a non-issue for me. I'd just like to build a chair that works well. I may know golf but I don't know chairs- so looking for your help in this.

Status
Not open for further replies.