The most ridiculous advice you've heard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious what some of the worst advice you've ever heard has been.

Recently, this was tossed out on another forum:

....The more consistent players do NOT release the club. They hit the ball with a flat left wrist and very little third accumulator (if you want the TGM terms)....

lia41985

Your chances of getting ball first contact will improve if you make what's tantamount to a reverse pivot.

ej20

New
I'm curious what some of the worst advice you've ever heard has been.

Recently, this was tossed out on another forum:

If this advice was referring to what happens in reality,then it is just full of it.A release does happen as well as the roll of the forearms.

If it was based on feel then it is not so ridiculous...at least for some.I make the best and cleanest contact when I feel no release or roll at all at impact and just feel the ball get "collected".Divot starts well past the ball.When I start feeling the release happen I start getting close to fat hits.

I think it's very important when discussing the golf swing to differentiate between feel and real.I keep harking on it but they really are completely different concerning most aspects of the golf swing.

eoscar

"You have to find a range with white golf balls. Our brain doesn't recognize yellow golf balls like they have here as golf balls, so you don't swing the same as you would with the white balls that you use on the course."

grs

New
"You have to find a range with white golf balls. Our brain doesn't recognize yellow golf balls like they have here as golf balls, so you don't swing the same as you would with the white balls that you use on the course."

Thats funny!

Don't buy yellow balls if you have your own range and have to pick them up. I made this mistake. I bought some and the first day I used them there were dandelions everywhere. Good grief!

Lesson with a local Pro

Him - Look you need to stop swinging like Ian Woosnam and start swinging like a modern pro.
Me - Modern Pro?
Him - Yes, look Woosie was a great player but his swing is from a different era, that way of swinging is almost as extinct as the dinosaurs.
Me - But he just won the European Seniors Tour order of Merit.
Him - Sure but they are all Dinosaurs on the Seniors he's just the least worst.
Me - But I am nearly 50, surely it makes more sense to swing like them, not some 25 year old?
Him - Not if you want to improve.

Now he may have a point, I just found it ludicrous to dismiss all older golfers as Dinosaurs.
The game may have changed but I'd imagine most club golfers have more in common with Seniors than current tour players?

'Keep Your Head Down.'

Outside of golfers just taking up the game, I believe it's probably the biggest reason why the average score hasn't gone down in 80 years and why only 10% of the golfing population gets lessons.

If I was a golf instructor, particularly at a club with a membership...I would market my debunking of this instruction more than they market the Super Bowl.

3JACK

The pro at a public course I played as a kid offered me some free advice on the range. He believed that the hips and shoulders should be square to the target line at impact and the club is propelled through impact and down the line almost entirely by the right forefinger. According to google, he's still head pro at a local course and presumably still teaching, which is kind of horrifying to me.

"Slow down", lilke it is the cure for all golfing ills. I hate that with a passion. It also drives me nuts when they use Ernie as an example of a "nice, slow tempo". Ernie's move looks smooth, but his speed isn't slow, and neither is his tempo.

'Keep Your Head Down.'

Outside of golfers just taking up the game, I believe it's probably the biggest reason why the average score hasn't gone down in 80 years and why only 10% of the golfing population gets lessons.

If I was a golf instructor, particularly at a club with a membership...I would market my debunking of this instruction more than they market the Super Bowl.

3JACK

F'in A.

Someone gave me a David Leadbetter book as a present in 1996. In it, he said that at impact you should return to your address position. Sigh.

"Slow down", lilke it is the cure for all golfing ills. I hate that with a passion. It also drives me nuts when they use Ernie as an example of a "nice, slow tempo". Ernie's move looks smooth, but his speed isn't slow, and neither is his tempo.

Ok, so a guy I play with once a week finally had his first lesson in ten years. The takeway message - 1) don't lift your head, and 2) slow down. A double-header!

Last edited:
Lesson with a local Pro

Him - Look you need to stop swinging like Ian Woosnam and start swinging like a modern pro.
Me - Modern Pro?
Him - Yes, look Woosie was a great player but his swing is from a different era, that way of swinging is almost as extinct as the dinosaurs.
Me - But he just won the European Seniors Tour order of Merit.
Him - Sure but they are all Dinosaurs on the Seniors he's just the least worst.
Me - But I am nearly 50, surely it makes more sense to swing like them, not some 25 year old?
Him - Not if you want to improve.

Now he may have a point, I just found it ludicrous to dismiss all older golfers as Dinosaurs.
The game may have changed but I'd imagine most club golfers have more in common with Seniors than current tour players?

Ive always thought Woosnam had a great swing, so simple and effortless at its best, a great long hitter when he was young.

Status
Not open for further replies.