The "Pull Back," The "Run Up," and The "Jump"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
shortradius.jpg

littlebit.jpg

Is this "re-tracing the left shoulder" early in the downswing caught in a swing sequence?

It's a funny coincidence that Brian made this post about "The Pull Back, The Run Up, and The Jump" because it seems like this is the sort of thing that you and I were discussing. If I understand it correctly, I'm trying to focus on a better "Pull Back" and "Run Up" so that my "Jump" doesn't happen too quickly, and what you call "retracing the left shoulder" seems like the transition from "Pull Back" to "Run Up". To me it looks like the movement of the left shoulder from the yellow dot to the blue dot in the fourth picture of the top sequence would feel like a "retracing" move, even though it's not an exact move back to the green dot.

Confirmation from UPMC Lab

Brian,

This movement pattern you are referring to is exactly what Dr. Scott Lephart from the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center has been discovering with many of the Tour stars he has tested with their pressure plates and 3D. He actually has found that many top players initially move into the left side beyond the original point and then actually shift BACKWARD just prior to impact and then the momentum of the club moving past themselves causes them to "finish" the weight onto the front side.

The weight actually stutters slightly from right side at the top to left to slightly back and then back forward. I think there is some evidence young Mr. McIlroy does something very similar.

Brian,

This movement pattern you are referring to is exactly what Dr. Scott Lephart from the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center has been discovering with many of the Tour stars he has tested with their pressure plates and 3D. He actually has found that many top players initially move into the left side beyond the original point and then actually shift BACKWARD just prior to impact and then the momentum of the club moving past themselves causes them to "finish" the weight onto the front side.

The weight actually stutters slightly from right side at the top to left to slightly back and then back forward. I think there is some evidence young Mr. McIlroy does something very similar.

That's awesome, because Dr. Scott Lephart's dad was my High School Golf Coach and I've played plenty of rounds with Scott and is one of the most tremendous individuals you'll ever meet. Haven't seen him in years.

3JACK

That's awesome, because Dr. Scott Lephart's dad was my High School Golf Coach and I've played plenty of rounds with Scott and is one of the most tremendous individuals you'll ever meet. Haven't seen him in years.

3JACK

Also awesome because it explains what I see it lots of long drivers in high speed video.

These pics are so telling as to what produces maximum carry and distance with the driver, the circles on the pics show it all..very cool. Axis tlit, plus fast arms and body equals POW BABY...pattern 13:) We're waiting.

Is there going to be a video to explaining all this? Looks like some great information to share here :).

I get the pull back. I get the jump. The thing I can't seem to get close to doing right is the "run up." How do you get frame 4, back to left side, with your shoulders still closed, lots of squat, and lots of room left to rotate your shoulders and jump/snap into the ball? Sergio Garcia does the same thing. Gets to frame 4, shoulders still closed.

I feel like I try to go immediately from photo 2 to photo 5. Why such a weak transition? arghhhhhhhh.....

I get the pull back. I get the jump. The thing I can't seem to get close to doing right is the "run up." How do you get frame 4, back to left side, with your shoulders still closed, lots of squat, and lots of room left to rotate your shoulders and jump/snap into the ball? Sergio Garcia does the same thing. Gets to frame 4, shoulders still closed.

I feel like I try to go immediately from photo 2 to photo 5. Why such a weak transition? arghhhhhhhh.....

I know how you feel. My old swing thought was "pivot, left shoulder up and back". My current swing thought to avoid making the "photo 2 to photo 5" move is "pivot, left shoulder back". By "back" I mean, away from the ball. I think it gets me to transition through a "photo 4" position rather than going straight to "photo 5". I was worried about not getting enough axis tilt without the "left shoulder up" thought, but I suspect that my left shoulder is still "up" enough because the results have been good. Just a suggestion that worked for me.

This really goes to show why hacker dads should not give there kids swing advice. You've seen my swing posted on the other thread and apparently after 10 years of play, I can't do what my freaking 4-year old can. How can I continue to mentor my son now?

I would actually like to tell him to stop with the John Daly/Bubba Watson backswing coil, but I think I best just shut up and let him hit balls.

Status
Not open for further replies.